Worth getting a Leica S2 or a S006 in 2021?

aksclix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Did you try the manual for the slideshow? It sounds like the functionality for the HDMI is very limited on the S2, and you have to manually select the images to show, the output resolution and so forth. The manual is available via Leica's website. I could find no mention that the S2 supports any kind of general purpose output to hdmi (such as a live view of the interface, let alone the sensor, which would require CMOS).

Yes I did play around with most settings there.. changing resolution, playing slideshow by manually selecting images.. nothing seems to work.. I'll check the manual and see if there's anything there.. 

I think I am going to have to let this S2 go and either get an S006 or and S007.. the LCD is just not working out for my liking.. too much guess work reviewing images on this ancient LCD :)

It is not good for that, to be sure. Another option would be to just ignore it and treat it like film. If your shooting is reasonably careful, there is more than enough exposure range to deal with most situations. Rather than using an external monitor via HDMI, you are probably better off with a card reader and a laptop, or even a small tablet that supports something like Lightroom mobile.

28 minutes ago, aksclix said:

Yes I did play around with most settings there.. changing resolution, playing slideshow by manually selecting images.. nothing seems to work.. I'll check the manual and see if there's anything there.. 

I think I am going to have to let this S2 go and either get an S006 or and S007.. the LCD is just not working out for my liking.. too much guess work reviewing images on this ancient LCD :)

If CCD vs CMOS (live view support) is an issue, beware that the S006 is CCD like the S2; S007 is CMOS.

Jeff

24 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

It is not good for that, to be sure. Another option would be to just ignore it and treat it like film. If your shooting is reasonably careful, there is more than enough exposure range to deal with most situations. Rather than using an external monitor via HDMI, you are probably better off with a card reader and a laptop, or even a small tablet that supports something like Lightroom mobile.

Yes, I got a usb c to cf card reader to quickly review and process images in LR on my iPad.. the card reader is a bit unreliable.. while importing, it just abruptly quits 😌 I’ve never used film except those disposable ones about 20 years ago.. 😀 

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

If CCD vs CMOS (live view support) is an issue, beware that the S006 is CCD like the S2; S007 is CMOS.

Jeff

Yes Jeff I am aware s006 is also CCD.. I don’t care much for the live view as I never really use it on any camera unless I’m doing some video.. 

just need a reliable lcd to review images and not take out the card to review every time.. I didn’t realize the resolution on S2 was so low.. just assumed it would be ok

Advertisement (gone after registration)

40 minutes ago, aksclix said:

Yes Jeff I am aware s006 is also CCD.. I don’t care much for the live view as I never really use it on any camera unless I’m doing some video.. 

just need a reliable lcd to review images and not take out the card to review every time.. I didn’t realize the resolution on S2 was so low.. just assumed it would be ok

I was specifically referring to the issues you’re encountering, in case there’s a connection or benefit somehow to CMOS or supporting structure.  As noted, screen resolution is mediocre even on S007 and S3. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

8 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I was specifically referring to the issues you’re encountering, in case there’s a connection or benefit somehow to CMOS or supporting structure.  As noted, screen resolution is mediocre even on S007 and S3. 

Jeff

Ah ok.. will wait and see.. I decided I shouldn’t go for an S007 right now since I just recently upgraded from gfx 50r to gfx 100.. with the impending announcement of gfx 100s, I would like to keep my options open for another upgrade or swap for the gfx 100.. so, the older S body will do for me now.. I got the S2 just for the pleasure of having an S body 

I updated the S2 firmware, then tried the same.. this time it worked.. the slideshow works but it takes a few seconds get started.. maybe it would've worked with the older firmware too.. not sure! but it's pretty slow and reviewing images isn't quite an option.. only slideshow is! :)

Any repainting or something that can be done to this top layer of paint peeling of so easily with just tape?? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by aksclix

That does not look like something Leica would have done. It is hard to tell from the picture...did the camera come like this, or is this something that happened with tape? What were you doing with tape there? Not an accusation, just a question.

If this is something that was revealed after you bought the camera, I would suspect that this camera was damaged and whomever sold it tried to conceal that damage. If that is the case, it does not sound like good news. I would either return it, or verify that there is nothing else wrong with the camera. Sometimes this kind of impact damage can cause misalignments in the mirror or screen, or other largely invisible problems (that only come to light after using for awhile and finding that your focus is off, etc).

2 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

That does not look like something Leica would have done. It is hard to tell from the picture...did the camera come like this, or is this something that happened with tape? What were you doing with tape there? Not an accusation, just a question.

If this is something that was revealed after you bought the camera, I would suspect that this camera was damaged and whomever sold it tried to conceal that damage. If that is the case, it does not sound like good news. I would either return it, or verify that there is nothing else wrong with the camera. Sometimes this kind of impact damage can cause misalignments in the mirror or screen, or other largely invisible problems (that only come to light after using for awhile and finding that your focus is off, etc).

It is from a Leica store. Initially the paint was only chipped a little. I tried to conceal it by putting a tape on it and then when I removed the tape, more paint peeled off with it. The tape wasn’t even that strong 

the camera works just fine. Except, there is a tiny little dot on the top left corner looking thru the viewfinder.. like some dust perhaps. The 2mm ding you see in the middle of those lost layer paint was already there. 

9 hours ago, aksclix said:

Any repainting or something that can be done to this top layer of paint peeling of so easily with just tape?? 

That doesn't look like an S2, an S(006) or S-E?

john

7 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

We have very different ideas of being “in great shape” (your post #20). 

Jeff

Jeff - these are 2 different cameras.. the S2 IS in great shape with no surface marks whatsoever and the picture above is of S006 I bought after the S2.. 

Edited by aksclix
  • Thanks 1

@Stuart Richardson I think the paint chips looks way worse in the picture I posted than what it does in reality.. it was captured on iPhone with flash.. this is how it looked when I purchased it

Edited by aksclix

5 minutes ago, Sarnian said:

Perhaps the shock of the initial impact fractured and loosened some of the paintwork - which then came off on the tape?

Is your focussing, etc. spot on? An impact like that can't be a good thing! 

It’s purchased from a Leica store and I thought they can be trusted with their testing on these products.. it comes with a 90 day store warranty of course .. I do not see any issues with the camera. It works perfectly fine  so far 

Edited by aksclix
typo

honestly, i am not worried about the impact mark as such.. in reality it does not look as bad as it seems on photos :) the paint chipping away with just tape is probably because this is an 8 year old system.. its just the outer coating.. there is another black paint coat inside of it..