Leica S2 / S006 - max speed & size of CF card

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All

I will happily receive next week a newly acquired S006 with new sensor. I wanted to also buy a proper CF card and wanted to make sure it is the right / compatible one:

• I understand from other threads in this forum that the 32GB is the good upper limit which may avoid any delays when starting, although some have managed with 64GB. 
  • Regarding the write speed of the cards I see that there are 120MB/s (e.g Sandisk Extreme 32GB UDMA 7 "golden") even 160MB/s (SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB UDMA 7 "black") but also older, slower, 90MB/s cards. Are there any compatibility issues with the faster speed including 160 MB/s?
  • Since we are at this point, same question fot the SDHC Cards regarding speed (according to specs max size 32GB SDHC, but what about the write speed?)

Thanks in advance! 

Cris

From the S manual:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

From the S3 manual:

On 4/6/2024 at 12:43 PM, kristyansen said:

I understand from other threads in this forum that the 32GB is the good upper limit which may avoid any delays when starting, although some have managed with 64GB.

I've been using 128GB 160 MB/s cards for years on my S006. No issues. I don't know if the camera is faster with these cards, but it's certainly fully compatible.

On 4/6/2024 at 12:43 PM, kristyansen said:

Since we are at this point, same question fot the SDHC Cards regarding speed (according to specs max size 32GB SDHC, but what about the write speed?)

32GB is the limit of SDHC, not of the camera. Any card bigger than 32GB uses the newer SDXC specification (which is also supported).

I wouldn't worry too much about card compatibility with the S006. Pick a name-brand CF card from a reputable supplier (so you don't get a counterfeit) and you'll be OK. The SD card slot only supports UHS-I (which have all contacts in a single row), but UHS-II will also work, albeit not at full speed. I've set-up my camera to send DNGs to the CF card, and JPEGs to the SD card, so SD speed is never an issue.

On 4/6/2024 at 10:13 PM, kristyansen said:

Hi All

I will happily receive next week a newly acquired S006 with new sensor. I wanted to also buy a proper CF card and wanted to make sure it is the right / compatible one:

• I understand from other threads in this forum that the 32GB is the good upper limit which may avoid any delays when starting, although some have managed with 64GB. 
  • Regarding the write speed of the cards I see that there are 120MB/s (e.g Sandisk Extreme 32GB UDMA 7 "golden") even 160MB/s (SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB UDMA 7 "black") but also older, slower, 90MB/s cards. Are there any compatibility issues with the faster speed including 160 MB/s?
  • Since we are at this point, same question fot the SDHC Cards regarding speed (according to specs max size 32GB SDHC, but what about the write speed?)

Thanks in advance! 

Cris

you’re good to go with the faster cards. The 160MB/s ones, like the SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB UDMA 7, are compatible.