On/Off switch or Timeout

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been mostly turning my M10 on and off using the switch on top of the camera.  I just read a post from another user who says he ignores that switch, and lets the camera time out, then presses the shutter release button to turn the camera back on.

I was wondering if both work the same way - when the camera goes "off" with a time out, is it really "off"?  Pressing the shutter release half way turns the camera back on.  Is this a mechanical function (in which case the time-out really IS turning the power off), or is it placing the camera into a "sleep" mode, so it knows to wake up when someone presses the shutter release?

I assume it would be perfectly reasonable to let the camera time out and go into this sleep mode while you're walking around with the camera, but I suspect it would be best to use the on/off button when you put the camera down.  

(I assume that removing the memory card while the camera is in sleep mode is just as wrong as removing the card while the camera is on.  I made that mistake one time, and it took a full reset to get the camera working again.)

Battery can be a concern.

Try one or another (off or sleep) when you carry the M10 in your bag, you will see the main difference.

Off can be more battery saving, maybe depending on your way of carrying.

I use the main switch only twice, on for beginning to be prepared for picture taking then off before putting the M for storage.

As side note, on my M10 as there is no marking, I label the "off" position to put it off when I need.

Having to think that the red dot is "off" is not in my logic 🙃.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Thanks 1

I think I'll do it your way - turn the camera ON when I go to take the first photo, and wait until I'm finished at which time I'll turn I toff.

As to the red dot meaning "OFF", that's backwards.  It would almost be logical to have it the other way, with a red dot meaning a camera was "ON".

Personally, having "OFF" and "ON" marked on the camera, with the switch aligning with one or the other would have been better, but I've (mostly) gotten used to it.

Thom Hogan made the observation some time back that, at least with Nikon DSLRs, leaving the camera on didn't use noticeably more battery than turning them completely off.

I have no idea whether this translates to useful information regarding Leica's or not, but I have typically not turned mine off when carrying them over my shoulder and haven't noted any  significance regarding battery life.