Leica Q2 Monochrom - Image Thread

RobM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, piran said:

Ah, I get it now, my thanks @hdmesa and apologies @Le Chef.

This is not really a feature ...it's more of a hack. Having to enforce JPG so as to then allow the Q to ramp the capture colour saturation down to zero in order to output B&W source files. So, yes, the Q viewfinder can be set to display in unsaturated colour and produce (lossy) unsaturated colour JPGs.

However, why would anyone buy a Leica to capture JPGs? The Q can capture some two thousand full size RAWs on my usual SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB (95MB/s) though it will run out of available batteries well before filling up the media. The Q2M suggests some one thousand full size RAWs on its SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB (300MB/s) and, sadly, ditto the batteries - particularly without a proper Leica in-the-field charger being available (different rant).

Interestingly the various settings support a mono viewfinder whilst capturing a colour DNG & mono JPG. Quite logically the colour DNG's thumbnail, as shown in CaptureOne, uses the Q JPG (eg with the DNG+JPG setting) in mono ...until the removal of that separate JPG capture, at which point C1 regenerates a colour JPG thumbnail from the colour DNG. So, the original capture -could- be previewed in the Q viewfinder showing unsaturated colour but -without- the various Q2M native upticks.

Not familiar using JPG for source capture. Haven't used JPG to capture any image - for at least a decade - always RAW/DNG.

When I want a mono viewfinder & capture files my most emphatic inclination is to *always* reach for my Q2M 😎

When I used the Q I set it to shoot RAW only and the EVF still showed Mono as I had set it. When I put those images into LRC they initially show up as Mono thumbnails, but when you import them they are in color. Not surprisingly as RAW/DNG images are the equivalent of the film negative until you develop them.

2 hours ago, piran said:

Ah, I get it now, my thanks @hdmesa and apologies @Le Chef.

This is not really a feature ...it's more of a hack. Having to enforce JPG so as to then allow the Q to ramp the capture colour saturation down to zero in order to output B&W source files. So, yes, the Q viewfinder can be set to display in unsaturated colour and produce (lossy) unsaturated colour JPGs.

However, why would anyone buy a Leica to capture JPGs? The Q can capture some two thousand full size RAWs on my usual SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB (95MB/s) though it will run out of available batteries well before filling up the media. The Q2M suggests some one thousand full size RAWs on its SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB (300MB/s) and, sadly, ditto the batteries - particularly without a proper Leica in-the-field charger being available (different rant).

Interestingly the various settings support a mono viewfinder whilst capturing a colour DNG & mono JPG. Quite logically the colour DNG's thumbnail, as shown in CaptureOne, uses the Q JPG (eg with the DNG+JPG setting) in mono ...until the removal of that separate JPG capture, at which point C1 regenerates a colour JPG thumbnail from the colour DNG. So, the original capture -could- be previewed in the Q viewfinder showing unsaturated colour but -without- the various Q2M native upticks.

Not familiar using JPG for source capture. Haven't used JPG to capture any image - for at least a decade - always RAW/DNG.

When I want a mono viewfinder & capture files my most emphatic inclination is to *always* reach for my Q2M 😎

The quality of the black and white image in the Q2M EVF and on the LCD is noticeably better than other color cameras in monochrome mode – for an obvious reason: the source is a superior sensor for b&w. But to be clear – with the Q2M, you are also seeing JPEG output when you use the EVF or LCD. That is what Live View is: JPEGs displayed as video. To illustrate that point, change your JPEG settings on your Q2M to sepia tone, and your viewfinder will be in sepia regardless of whether you have chosen DNG, JPEG, or DNG + JPEG as your capture format. 

Anyway, perhaps we can move this discussion to a Q2M technical thread if we want to continue since this thread is for images.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Thanks 1

Q2M + orange filter; 1/320sec, f1.7, ISO 200
Orientation cropped from portrait to landscape.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Hemmer
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Q2M; 1/500sec, f1.7, ISO 500

• Like 10

16 hours ago, piran said:

Having to enforce JPG so as to then allow the Q to ramp the capture colour saturation down to zero in order to output B&W source files.

Your complaint might be true if you shoot jpeg or jpeg+raw.  If you shoot raw then it is a non issue.  I output raw files but set the jpeg Saturation to monochrome.   The jpeg setting is only used for viewfinder, display, and image thumbnail generation.  When I import the image into my photo editor I see the monochrome image for a second or two until my editor generates its own color thumbnail from the raw image.

9 minutes ago, marchyman said:

Your complaint might be true if you shoot jpeg or jpeg+raw.  If you shoot raw then it is a non issue.

It was not a complaint only an observation. I never use or shoot JPG so did not read that part of the manual and unaware that to get a mono viewfinder I had to select JPG. Mea Culpa. Please drop the now non-subject. More images please. 

Edited by piran

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, piran said:

[...] Mea Culpa. Please drop the now non-subject. More images please. 

Astra inclinant, sed non obligant :)

Q2M; 1/500sec, f1.7, ISO 400

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Q2M; 1/250sec, f1.7, ISO 640

Shot having the camera hanging over the shoulder, angled 90deg away - while using the Fotos-App (for the first time) :)

• Like 7

Roses. Brought from the Levant to England during the crusades. They loved the soil and temperate climate here and have been turned into hybrids ever since. I, like most people prefer plants in colour. This B&W shot shows the structure and composition with only shades of grey. Q2M using Macro.

Edited by Peter Kilmister
Typo
  • Like 4

Q2M + orange filter (35mm crop mode)

• Like 11

August 25, 2021 - Helicoid parking deck (Q2M + orange filter)

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

August 25, 2021 (Q2M + orange filter)

• Like 6

Rain in the mountains!, Leica Q2M, 1/320, f/7.1, ISO 200, combined several shots into HDR in LR, handheld.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Leica Guy said:

Rain in the mountains!, Leica Q2M, 1/320, f/7.1, ISO 200, combined several shots into HDR in LR, handheld.

Good thing you haven't got a convertible... 😎

• Haha 1

August 25, 2021 (Q2M + orange filter)

• Like 6

Calcium Clay and Sand

August 28, 2021 (Q2M + orange filter)

• Like 16