Leica Q2 Monochrom - Image Thread

RobM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Orchid and Wood

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Rose with Decoy

20 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

Leica Q2 M, Porsche 986 Boxster front hood in the rain. 1/200, f/8, ISO 200, handheld.

Ah . . . so you couldn't resist the temptation and have bought the Q2M?  Have you kept the Q2?  I hope so because they make a good pair.

16 minutes ago, T25UFO said:

Ah . . . so you couldn't resist the temptation and have bought the Q2M?  Have you kept the Q2?  I hope so because they make a good pair.

I wish. No, a friend loaned me his. I’m very, VERY impressed with the Q2M. I posted this on the Barnack Challenge. I do now think they make an excellent pair. 

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Like 12

One more. Q2M. I simply love this camera. I'd guess the same reaction that all others have to the combination of an outstanding monochrome sensor and very sharp lens. AF also really helps.Leica Q2M, 1/200, f/6.3, ISO 200, handheld.

• Like 10

a family walking in the wood - Glendurgan Garden, Cornwall - National Trust - LEICA Q2 MONO - ISO400 1-250 sec f8 2021-08-22 10.47.28

upturned boat made into a woodland seat - Glendurgan Garden, Cornwall - National Trust - LEICA Q2 MONO - ISO400 1-160 sec f8 2021-08-22 11.01.21

• Like 8

artfully designed runoff drain by the footpath - Glendurgan Garden, Cornwall
National Trust - LEICA Q2 MONO - ISO400 1-500 sec f4 2021-08-22 13.00.47

paddlers about to launch from Durgan Beach, River Helford, Cornwall
LEICA Q2 MONO - ISO400 1-16000 sec f4 2021-08-22 11.55.24

one of the stone fox statues at the gateway - Glendurgan Garden, Cornwall
National Trust - LEICA Q2 MONO - ISO400 1-200 sec f8 2021-08-22 13.08.22

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

I have the Q2 and M10M - but that doesn't keep me from longing for a Q2 Mono; it must be the AF, image stabilization and the 47 mp sensor. 😍

(yes, I know - I'm a terrible person...)

Do it! I've had the M10-R, M10M, Q2, and Q2M – the Q2M is by far the most impressive. The extra 7 mp of resolution over the M10M w/28 Lux seems like 5 times that thanks to the fixed lens design coupled with the higher res monochrome sensor. Going back to the M10M after using the Q2M feels like going back to a 24mp sensor.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Do it! I've had the M10-R, M10M, Q2, and Q2M – the Q2M is by far the most impressive. The extra 7 mp of resolution over the M10M w/28 Lux seems like 5 times that thanks to the fixed lens design coupled with the higher res monochrome sensor. Going back to the M10M after using the Q2M feels like going back to a 24mp sensor.

Not forgetting the viewfinder and screen displaying in mono ...was a game changer feature for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, piran said:

Not forgetting the viewfinder and screen displaying in mono ...was a game changer feature for me.

And you're aware that you can change to viewfinder to Mono on everything from the DL-7 to the SL2 just by changing the view settings. I have my CL set to Mono all the time, and shoot RAW, so this has nothing to do with shooting JPEGs.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, piran said:

! No was not aware. I have only a Q (Model 116) in addition to my Q2M.
My original Q shows only a colour viewfinder... the Q2M is more sensitive.

I borrowed a Q two years ago and immediately setup the viewfinder to show mono.

1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

I borrowed a Q two years ago and immediately setup the viewfinder to show mono.

My early production colour Q has no viewfinder setting for mono that I could find - nothing in any of the menu settings. I also checked the PDF manual ...no mention of a mono viewfinder capability. One of my top reasons to buy another Leica - the Q2M. Maybe your borrowed camera was a Q2... not a Q (Model 116). I don't know if a Q2 can be optioned to a mono viewfinder but I know my own old Q cannot be so optioned. YMMV

30 minutes ago, piran said:

My early production colour Q has no viewfinder setting for mono that I could find - nothing in any of the menu settings. I also checked the PDF manual ...no mention of a mono viewfinder capability. One of my top reasons to buy another Leica - the Q2M. Maybe your borrowed camera was a Q2... not a Q (Model 116). I don't know if a Q2 can be optioned to a mono viewfinder but I know my own old Q cannot be so optioned. YMMV

You have to change the JPEG settings to monochrome, then the viewfinder will be in b&w. If you couldn't do that, then maybe your firmware was never updated on the old Q.

3 hours ago, hdmesa said:

You have to change the JPEG settings to monochrome, then the viewfinder will be in b&w. If you couldn't do that, then maybe your firmware was never updated on the old Q.

Ah, I get it now, my thanks @hdmesa and apologies @Le Chef.

This is not really a feature ...it's more of a hack. Having to enforce JPG so as to then allow the Q to ramp the capture colour saturation down to zero in order to output B&W source files. So, yes, the Q viewfinder can be set to display in unsaturated colour and produce (lossy) unsaturated colour JPGs.

However, why would anyone buy a Leica to capture JPGs? The Q can capture some two thousand full size RAWs on my usual SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB (95MB/s) though it will run out of available batteries well before filling up the media. The Q2M suggests some one thousand full size RAWs on its SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB (300MB/s) and, sadly, ditto the batteries - particularly without a proper Leica in-the-field charger being available (different rant).

Interestingly the various settings support a mono viewfinder whilst capturing a colour DNG & mono JPG. Quite logically the colour DNG's thumbnail, as shown in CaptureOne, uses the Q JPG (eg with the DNG+JPG setting) in mono ...until the removal of that separate JPG capture, at which point C1 regenerates a colour JPG thumbnail from the colour DNG. So, the original capture -could- be previewed in the Q viewfinder showing unsaturated colour but -without- the various Q2M native upticks.

Not familiar using JPG for source capture. Haven't used JPG to capture any image - for at least a decade - always RAW/DNG.

When I want a mono viewfinder & capture files my most emphatic inclination is to *always* reach for my Q2M 😎

Edited by piran
typo/eyesight :-|
  • Like 1

garden seat - Glendurgan Garden, Cornwall - National Trust - LEICA Q2 MONO - ISO400 1-4000 sec f4 2021-08-22 13.01.48

The woodwork is heavily stained with texture disfiguring algae or lichen, a broken stave, but other than that quite a dramatic look when viewed in mono😎
  • Like 4