Discoloured Leicameter window

P Mann

If this can help you :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It is rather unusual to find working MC, most of them are dead.  MC is built differently than MR4 shown above. Remove 3 screws, one of them might be still sealed as here (black wax). Remove dials and lift up the top cover
'

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jerzy

if it is the plastic window over the needle, the polishing kits for hazed polycarbonate car headlights will do the trick.  If it is the selenium cell, unfortunately selenium cells have components that age out and usually can't be repaired.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/8/2020 at 2:55 PM, jerzy said:

It is rather unusual to find working MC, most of them are dead.  MC is built differently than MR4 shown above. Remove 3 screws, one of them might be still sealed as here (black wax). Remove dials and lift up the top cover
'

Thank you so much. Peter :)

On the subject of Leicameters, there is a company in Hollywood, CA called Quality Light Metric run by an elderly gentleman called George P Milton who say they repair CdS meters. He is very pleasant and obliging but sadly no longer terribly good at repairing MR-4 meters. I sent one of mine (I have ended up with three of them, two black and one chrome), which he returned to me as fully repaired with a very large bill of $180. Sadly it was not remotely repaired being totally erratic. He was very apologetic and asked for it to be returned and when it came back, it was little better and certainly not usable. In the end I had to ask for a refund, which was granted but I was still out of pocket for two expensive courier costs from France to the USA.

There is a company in Austria to whom I sent my other black MR-4 to be re-calibrated from Mercury PX 625 1.35V to silver oxide 625S batteries. This was done satisfactorily but only in time for 625S batteries to become obsolete and unobtainable. There is however a solution to this, which is to use an unregulated PX625 replacer with either SR43 or 44 silver oxide cells. The readily available 625A alkaline cells are not suitable, as their voltage drop is continuous from new at around 1.62 to 1.63V down to 1.30V when near exhausted. The silver oxide cells provide a near constant 1.55V until near exhaustion, when the voltage drop is very steep and you will realise they need replacing. 

I will try to track down the Austrian company who re-calibrates the MR-4 and if I find the address, I will post it here. 

Wilson

Correction - Re-calibration of MR-4 Leicameters - The company is based in Germany not Austria, which explains why I could not find the address at first look. Address is is as follows:

Kamera Technik Langer Gbr
Karlstraße 28, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany

Telefon : 0721 – 22658

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw