R-mount lenses on the M10

startover

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I recognize this topic has been discussed previously but I have a slightly different angle on it.

Needing the use of zoom, I just ordered a 28-70 R-mount lens on eBay and a Novoflex R to M adapter.  But now I am wondering:

- is the Leica R to M adapter superior in terms of transmitting lens information to the body?  If so, what do I lose in functionality with the Novoflex?

- would I also need an EVF or can I simply use Live View to focus?  I have resisted buying the Visoflex, using OVFs instead with my 21 and 28mm.

- would I be better off buying an SL2 with a 24-90 vario lens instead?  Am having trouble coming to terms with the sheer size, not to mention the investment.  But the easier focusing and video capability might argue in favor of adding the SL2 to my exclusively M digital+film gear.

Has any of you pondered over these questions?

2 hours ago, startover said:

Hello, I recognize this topic has been discussed previously but I have a slightly different angle on it.

Needing the use of zoom, I just ordered a 28-70 R-mount lens on eBay and a Novoflex R to M adapter.  But now I am wondering:

- is the Leica R to M adapter superior in terms of transmitting lens information to the body?  If so, what do I lose in functionality with the Novoflex?

- would I also need an EVF or can I simply use Live View to focus?  I have resisted buying the Visoflex, using OVFs instead with my 21 and 28mm.

- would I be better off buying an SL2 with a 24-90 vario lens instead?  Am having trouble coming to terms with the sheer size, not to mention the investment.  But the easier focusing and video capability might argue in favor of adding the SL2 to my exclusively M digital+film gear.

Has any of you pondered over these questions?

- I believe the Novoflex R to M adapter also brings up the R lens selection menu (via some 6-bit coding), so aside from the tripod mount (correct me if i'm wrong, but the Leica one has a tripod mount), there is no real difference between the two. 

- You can use live view to focus. The EVF is just a viewfinder form of live view shooting. In fact you could probably use a plethora of zooms and primes for DSLRS on the M10, but what sort of information is transmitted and how "dumb" the adapter is would depend on mount of the lens and maker of the adapter, though i don't think there are many smart adapters around for the M mount.

- The SL2 and 24-90 question is an entirely separate discussion. It's a completely different tool to the M in terms of photography (let alone video). Also, it really depends what you shoot. You might want to try a used SL, which is a very capable video camera in Leica's lineup, if you are hesitant on the weight of the SL system and the cost of the SL2. As for the 24-90, it is probably as good or better than any zoom you could mount on the M10, albeit you'd shoot it on an SL/2 instead of the M10. I feel the 24-90's "penalty" is its weight, but many on this forum feel the weight is worthwhile considering the image quality. 

Previous poster is correct.  No electronics in the Leica adapter and, aside from the tripod foot, no real advantage over the Novoflex.  Note that the original version didn’t have the 6-bit coding. Current version does.  Careful buying used. 

I have two R lenses... the 35-70 F4 and the 80 F1.4.  I use the 80 with some regularity - it’s a special lens - but the zoom has never gotten much use on the M10.  Why? What’s the point of a zoom?  Speed and convenience.  It’s neither.  It’s big and heavy on the M10 and it’s not easy to focus an F4 lens with live view or the Visoflex.  Whether that’s the fact that it has pretty deep depth of field even wide open or that the image doesn’t “snap” visually into focus, I can’t say.  I’ll still use it (rarely) on my Sony A7 where it’s a more rational lens, but will probably sell it. 

What are you trying to gain by having a zoom?

Edited by mdemeyer

Hi chasdfg and mdemeyer, great responses.  Thank you.

I love my 28 since it puts me right in the middle of what is happening.  But with the pandemic I have been reticent to getting too close and am missing shots as a result.  Rather than cropping, I thought I could try using one zoom lens than can at least take me to 70.  The R-mount lens for 90 is significantly more expensive for what is essentially an experiment on my part.

I am aware of the challenges of zoom lenses in general but am hoping I am able to take some shots I would otherwise miss.  And am hoping I can made do with Live View, especially in sunlight when I would be at f/8 or 11, and small flaws in focusing won't be exaggerated.

On 10/15/2020 at 3:04 AM, mdemeyer said:

.............. No electronics in the Leica adapter ................

The Leica adaptor reads the ROM information of the R lens and sends that to the exif on the camera. It can even read the focal length of the zoom lenses.

Personally I'd get the EVF. Holding the M at arms length just isn't comfortable.

Gordon

1 hour ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

The Leica adaptor reads the ROM information of the R lens and sends that to the exif on the camera. It can even read the focal length of the zoom lenses.

Personally I'd get the EVF. Holding the M at arms length just isn't comfortable.

Gordon

That would be a feat of magic.   The adaptor cannot talk to the M body. Its a dumb device purely designed to mechanicaly adapt one fitting to another.

I agree about the viewfinder.  Either the external EVF or a dedicated passive viewfinder with matching focal length is ideal.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Gordon

Gordon,

Holding it in my hands.  It has a fixed 6-bit code on the back that tells the M10 that the R adapter is mounted.  You then have to set which lens it is in the menu.   It has no contacts to read the ROM in the lens.  The current (not the original) Novoflex adapter works exactly the same way.

Perhaps you are thinking of an L mount scenario?

Michael

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, mdemeyer said:

Gordon,

Holding it in my hands.  It has a fixed 6-bit code on the back that tells the M10 that the R adapter is mounted.  You then have to set which lens it is in the menu.   It has no contacts to read the ROM in the lens.  The current (not the original) Novoflex adapter works exactly the same way.

Michael

Michael.   i stand corrected regarding the M10 .   What i hadn't appreciated was that all the R lenses are already in the camera database and can be manually selected in the menu and will therefore be correctly reported in the EXIF.  I need to get that adaptor and a lens to experience it.    

gordon.

Edited by lucerne

19 hours ago, mdemeyer said:

Gordon,

Michael

Appologies. You are both correct. Mixed it up with the L adaptor.

Gordon

If it is really 90mm you imagine want why not simply buy a 90mm Tele-Elmar or another version of the M 90 line-up? They can be had in great condition for $300 or less and the output on the M10 is still pretty darn good. No bother with R Adapter M gear and difficult focus issues (beyond those associated with using a 90mm M lens!)

Yes, you won't have a shorter focal length in the one package - but you will have much easier use.

I use the Novoflex 6-Bit R Adapter M (for the 280mm f4 Apo-Telyt-R) and it is a very good product and much less expensive than the Leica branded one. No tripod collar on the Novoflex, however, if that is important to you for future long lens use.

• Thanks 1