S4 with L- and M-mount lenses

helged

1 hour ago, Milan_S said:

Can’t wait to use my 75mm Noctilux on the S4 

How would this make any difference compared to a SL? It’s going to be cropped to FF35mm anyway…

11 minutes ago, sebben said:

How would this make any difference compared to a SL? It’s going to be cropped to FF35mm anyway…

Even less DOF and some FF lenses like the 75Mm can use the full circle even with a large sensor. I have tried it on the Hassy back in the day...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milan_S said:

Even less DOF and some FF lenses like the 75Mm can use the full circle even with a large sensor. I have tried it on the Hassy back in the day...

Yes, I think Benqui on this forum is using the 50mm Noctilux on the X2D with apparently great results, so I can only imagine how beautiful the 75mm Noctilux would be on a medium format sensor.

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 12:02 AM, helged said:

Yes, smaller-format lenses will use their native part of the S4 sensor. One could imagine that eg ff-lenses would cover the 'full' image circle of that format, i.e. 35x35 mm, but I guess the crop mode will be 36x24 mm. Time will show...

probably might have 3 resolutions like the SL3, but the middle one might be a crop to 35mm full frame..in which case the S4 would be the perfect "All-in-One" for M/R/L/S/other vintage 645/6x7,m42 lenses etc

but

its Leica, they will never make an S4 that will kill the SL3 ;)

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Knowing Leica I doubt they will let you use the the full image circle of a 35mm lens on a medium format sensor. It just doesn't vibe with their philosophy and past behavior. They don't do it with APS C lenses on the SL. It was the same with how they would not let you turn off long exposure noise reduction for a long time, or how they used to stop their cameras at fairly low ISOs because they did not believe in offering three extra stops of unusable ISO like with Sony etc (for example, any ISO past 50,000 on the A7S). Even if the lens can fully or nearly fully cover medium format, I think it will probably mandate a crop because they want to guarantee maximum performance over the whole field.  I hope I am wrong though!

As for those not really getting the concept, I think the idea is that you can primarily use it as a medium format camera, but in situations where it is helpful, you can use 35mm lenses as well. So for example, you can do a bunch of photographs in normal focal lengths of a landscape, but then you want to photograph something else far away. You can just toss the 90-280 or 100-400 on there and have a much longer lens in the same kit. Personally I would much rather have one camera that can do both medium format and 35mm natively, rather than two separate extremely expensive cameras -- it adds extra weight, extra batteries, and you cannot overlap the lens kits. In other words, with an S4 you could have for example a 35mm S lens, 70mm S lens and 90-280 and cover basically 28mm to 280mm with (assuming) 100mp for the normal focal lengths and 60mp or so for the telephoto. For video it would be helpful as well, as you could use 35mm lenses for video, which rarely works as well on a full sensor in medium format. It would also allow much more lens flexibility for a medium format system...something they are not exactly known for. Instead of having to buy an X2D and every lens, or a GFX and only GFX lenses, you could natively use everything in M, L and S mount. To me it is really a dream system, depending on how well they execute it. The other advantage to a camera like that is that assuming you are already in a Leica eco system, you could take delivery of the camera and already have good lenses to use in nearly every focal length. That certainly takes the bite out of building a system that will likely cost 12K plus for the body and 5k+ per lens.

I am also hoping they decide not to use 2 to 3, but I will happily take what I can get. I am not a fan of square, and practically speaking I think they will have to use the same sensor dimensions as Fuji, Hasselblad and Phase One. Otherwise I am not sure who would be making a sensor that would fit such a camera. Doing it custom would likely drive up the costs, and that did not seem to work so well for Leica with the S system more recently. I am hoping they price it a bit more competitively. I am sure it will still be more expensive, but hopefully not double etc.

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 3

I get the idea of using the cropped format with ff lenses. It is standard practice in nature photography. One precision, the Phase one sensor is larger than the Fuji or the Hasselblad. It is 6x4.5. 

2 hours ago, irenedp said:

I get the idea of using the cropped format with ff lenses. It is standard practice in nature photography. One precision, the Phase one sensor is larger than the Fuji or the Hasselblad. It is 6x4.5. 

Do they no longer offer the smaller sensor backs? I admit that I do not really pay much attention to what Phase or Hasselblad are doing in their detachable back cameras.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Do they no longer offer the smaller sensor backs? I admit that I do not really pay much attention to what Phase or Hasselblad are doing in their detachable back cameras.

the two they still sell are larger than the fuji, hasselblad etc. but I was wrong. it is 53x40.  The Fuji etc are 43x33.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by irenedp

vor 42 Minuten schrieb Stuart Richardson:

What makes you say that? I would imagine the image quality will be identical to what it would be on 35mm assuming the sensor/tuning are the same.

I don’t have an SL2 anymore which would give me a 21 MP image with the TL lenses. I would have posted comparisons with the CL, that I still have. Even on the SL2-S the TL lenses despite the 10,7 MP will produce more appealing pictures than on the CL. That was the case with the original SL. I may do some side by side comparisons over Easter with the 35 Summilux-TL on the SL2-S and the CL and adjust the distance to frame the scenes identically.