Rumour about a new M6 '1984' from Leica

logan2z

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No clue if there's any truth to this, but @leicamaniatic on Instagram is floating a rumour about a new M6 '1984' special edition from Leica before Christmas this year.  I'd be surprised since it would seem to be just another MP which is still in the lineup, but I guess anything is possible...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by logan2z

Why not, this would be based on MP plus some parts left from M7.

The M3's style rewind is a pain to use on MP/M-A that I have for some years now.

Even worse with the add-on "lever" hurting digits in hard use.

Then why not with the articulated wind-on lever of M7 style ( I know that it's not the same as MP/M-A ! ).

Maybe I'll buy one or two to replace M-As 😇.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Why not, this would be based on MP plus some parts left from M7.

The M3's style rewind is a pain to use on MP/M-A that I have for some years now.

Then why not with the articulated wind-on lever of M7 style ( I know that it's not the same as MP/M-A ! ).

Maybe I'll buy one or two to replace M-As 😇.

Do you really find the M-A/MP rewind knob that annoying?  Doesn't bother me at all, but I may shoot less film than you do. 

I hope if Leica does actually release a special edition M6 they don't bundle it with a lens.  I might be interested in the body but I don't want to be obligated to buy a special edition lens to get it.  

35 minutes ago, logan2z said:

Do you really find the M-A/MP rewind knob that annoying?  Doesn't bother me at all, but I may shoot less film than you do. 

I hope if Leica does actually release a special edition M6 they don't bundle it with a lens.  I might be interested in the body but I don't want to be obligated to buy a special edition lens to get it.  

Not "annoying" as such, but each time I take one M4 family or M6 after using the M2/M3/MP/M-A, I do appreciate the comfort differences in wind lever and rewind process.

I don't take 10 rolls a day anymore.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BradS said:

It is a fun rumor. Thanks for sharing it.

Image if they offered it at the 1984 price...what was the MSRP of an M6 in 1984?...$2500 ???  

I have an old french catalog from 1985,

the M6 cost 12,950 FF which converted to about 3,555 €, (of 2019) this INSEE converter to have rough comparition.

If same price in 1984, it would become 3,762€ (of 2019 as the converter stops at 2019)

1 hour ago, colint544 said:

On the used market the M6 is suddenly wildly popular. Prices seem to have more than doubled in the last 18 months.

That's true. When I first got into Leica cameras a few years ago the M6 seemed to be considered an inferior option to the M2/M3/M4, but that seems to have changed.   I'm guessing it's the 'modern' M features like a meter and complete frameline set that have made it popular with new film shooters in the last couple of years and caused it's price to skyrocket into the $3500 range.  I'd personally start to think about a used MP at that point. 

• Like 3

M6 was probably the Leica with most "special editions" (*) than any else (also outside Leica) : one more doesn't hurt... 😁 , and so better if they "package" it in a way that makes it clear that it's targeted at users and not collecors... 

(*) some of them horrible, indeed

Edited by luigi bertolotti

I'm (was) one of us considering M6 "inferior" to MP.

Maybe, now I'm changing my mind as long time user of those M.

I've kept for sentimental reason my first "Leitz" M6 bought in 1987 March, heavy use first years, then when MP came kind of "resting unused" M6.

If I recall, this chrome M6 from 1987 had only one CLA since then, so very reliable (more than my multiple M4s).

I have also purchased later a rare M6 Classic 0.85 which had been repaired once.

My conclusion now, M6 Classic that I have used are very capable and very reliable.

I understand well the "now" keen interest in M6.

from my Pocket Book, some 132,454 units built M6 (" Classic" 1984-1999) and only 5,276 specials

In the past, I've sold some working if not mint M6s from 650€ to 750€ but this was to "help" younger M fans to begin with M camera.

20 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

I disagree with you on both of these. Isn't life amazing? People enjoy and love different things! Who could possibly guess?

(incidentally I prefer the old-style wind-on lever - I just never had any problem with the newer articulated one. They're just different.)

Edited by plasticman

As Luigi talked about Special M6, I've almost bought one "Platinum", when released 1989, but "happily" it was not in my price range.

Seen in this apotelyt site

What a beauty "150 Years"!

I bought much later not special titanium coated M6, later sold but hooked with titanium coated lenses.

1 hour ago, plasticman said:

I disagree with you on both of these. Isn't life amazing? People enjoy and love different things! Who could possibly guess?

(incidentally I prefer the old-style wind-on lever - I just never had any problem with the newer articulated one. They're just different.)

Of course, thanks.

9 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

You obviously need to wash the dishes and do the gardening more often.

Thanks again 😉

I'm not as crude as what I wrote, I like Leica M as they are, just different Ms are something I appreciate for decades.

Edited by a.noctilux

Bit niche, I know, but does anyone know why the film advance lever on the M6 is much skinnier than the fat one on the original M4?

The M4 one looks a lot better, I think. Beefier. (My guess is that it might be a cost-cutting measure)

(M6 top, M4 below)

Edited by colint544
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, colint544 said:

Bit niche, I know, but does anyone know why the film advance lever on the M6 is skinnier than the fat one on the original M4?

The M4 one looks a lot better, I think. Beefier. (My guess is that it might be a cost-cutting measure. On a long production run, a decent saving on materials by making the part slimmer)

(M6 top, M4 below)

I think it has more to do with improved ergonomics. The M6 advance lever is ever so slightly more comfortable in use than that of the M4. I suppose it is all quite subjective though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BradS said:

I think it has more to do with improved ergonomics. The M6 advance lever is ever so slightly more comfortable in use than that of the M4. I suppose it is all quite subjective though.

Hadn't thought of that. I used to have an M6 and I found it kind of perfect, aside from the occasionally flaring rangefinder patch. I have an M4 now, and it does feel like you're advancing quite a solid mechanism when you wind it on.

• Like 1