For bright scenes shoot as high an ISO given your tolerance for noise???

Chaemono

On 8/29/2020 at 6:56 PM, Chaemono said:

This guy claims that's the rule in scenes where there is a lot of light and the most important things are going to be above middle gray starting at 10:59. The whole video is great, BTW.

Well I can't be bothered watching it but he's wrong. There are no 'rules' in photography, only results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pretty stupid in my book to deliberately limit DR in good light situations. Yes, some cameras have a discontinuity at mid-ISO in the balance between in-camera noise reduction and gain, but physics won't be denied - the sensor output will have the largest range at base ISO, and the S/N ratio will get worse as the exposure gets less.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chaemono said:

It kind of made sense the way he explained it. 😁

It always does. Theory is great but photography is practical and with digital cameras its very easy to try things and find out what works for oneself. Whenever I get a new camera (I'm avoiding doing so now because I am used to what I have got) I always experiment and deliberately under and over-expose to see what the effects are, and how much I can tolerate or use to advantage. Generally speaking, and in many situations, I'm surprised at the latitude given by RAW files. Whilst sloppy work is to be avoided, beneficially using a camera's characteristics can be interesting.