A Leica SL against all odds

Torpille

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It took me a lot of time but I wanted to use the Leica SL quite intensively before i write some more thoughts in this topics 🙂

First I planed to try the SL with the sigma 45mm and the Summicron-m 35mm but instead I used my TL 18-56 zoom lens and a 50mm summicron-m...

The result with the 18-56 zoom is very good as long as the light is there.
The 10 megapixel definition doesn't bother me because I don't crop much and most of my shots are for social networks. 

I think I have found the perfect SL companion. 
This lens was already my favorite with the CL...

The very good surprise comes from the 50 mm summicron-m. 
I'm not very 50 mm, rather 35 mm, but the outputs this time at 24 megapixels are beautiful. 
Only reproach, this lens is very sensitive to flare... 
Sometimes with an artistic result other times just unusable. 

About the SL itself, 
This is one of the most pleasant camera I've ever used... I put it in my top 3 without any hesitation. 

Solid handling, an excellent viewfinder, a very simple and efficient interface And superb output colors very close to the M10. 

I can't wait to try it with the 45mm sigma and the sigma 90mm 😀

Edited by Torpille

I just read through this short thread, and ultimately appreciate that you came back to share your experience. My comments are a bit late here, but I have gone through some similar attempts to scale back gear, find the right combination and balance, etc. 

In another comment someone mentioned "I found that focus was quite a bit faster on an M body when shooting between 28mm and 50mm" Gosh, for me I find just the opposite. I would have agreed at first, but one you select the option to show the red focus assist the speed of obtaining focus quickly with my 35/2 is every bit as fast as with the M. I know everyone's experience will vary. As much as aI love the M, its inching its way towards being sold frankly, in no small part because of my vision challenges that get worse with time. The excellent ! will be my light and small option. 

The only AF lens I have for the SL right now is the Panasonic 24-105/4. It is a very versatile lens to be sure, but while I find the rendering technical excellent, it is a boring look for the most part. I actively move between the 35 Summicron, a Summarit 75 and two old Pentax lenses, a 50 1.4 and a 100 macro. I am currently leaning towards the 35 APO Summicron SL and the excellent Sigma 85 1.4 DG DN. I have heard some good things about the Sigma 45, and it might find it's way in as #3 despite my not really liking it wide-open. Closer focus seems to produce some unpredictable results from what I have seen as well, though I have no direct experience with that. 

Good luck with your selection process, and enjoy the journey :)

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 1:59 PM, Torpille said:

Hi everybody,

I am a surprised but a proud owner of a leica sl since this weekend. 

I got an offer for the SL just the body, which I couldn't refuse and had only a few minutes to decide me.

I've been using the M for a few years now and preferably with the 35mm or with my favorite focal length the 90mm. 

One year ago I made the choice of all leica, sold my 6d gun slr and bought a CL. First for the size of the CL system and to be able to use my M optics. 

I know many of you use it and love it but even if the image quality is there most of the time, I'm a little disappointed by the native optics of the system.

I use the 11-23mm and 18-56mm zooms and the 18mm. 

I sold the 23mm which didn't excite me and preferred the 18mm for its compactness. 

the tl-35mm, which is not a focal length I use, was not an option. 

I regret having left the Canon EF lenses. 

I'm trying my luck again at leica, hoping it's the right one. 

But here it is, I don't have a native lens and I'm wondering about the choice of a first L lens to take for the SL. 

Even if my first choice would be the SL 90, summicrons are not in my budget, until I decide if I keep or sell my CL system.

TL lenses are obviously a possibility but I don't expect better than with the CL and apparently just with a resolution of 10 million pixels.

So the vario 24-90? But its size...

the sigma? the Panasonic? 

I'm not against your advice!

Cheers

It would be helpful if you share some of your previous works, to show what you are heading for, including the the Canon EF and CL. 

It mabe the Canon rendering. It's possile you should go back to Canon.

I got a used SL body about a year and a half ago. Since then,  I have acquired four R lenses in near mint condition - the R 50 summilus, the R 80 summilux, the R 100 elmarit macro and the R 180 elmarit (I had the R 60 macro also but used it in a trade).  The R lenses are all fantastic on the SL.  Truly.  And with the fabulous EVF with focus peaking, the manual focussing experience is greatly enhanced.  Of course you will need an adaptor.  I went for the leica brand adaptor - its absurdly expensive but very very well built and works perfectly - even better with the ROM lenses.

Edited by Daniel81
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 6:33 AM, _Michael said:

In another comment someone mentioned "I found that focus was quite a bit faster on an M body when shooting between 28mm and 50mm" Gosh, for me I find just the opposite. I would have agreed at first, but one you select the option to show the red focus assist the speed of obtaining focus quickly with my 35/2 is every bit as fast as with the M. I know everyone's experience will vary. As much as aI love the M, its inching its way towards being sold frankly, in no small part because of my vision challenges that get worse with time. The excellent ! will be my light and small option. 

The only AF lens I have for the SL right now is the Panasonic 24-105/4. It is a very versatile lens to be sure, but while I find the rendering technical excellent, it is a boring look for the most part. I actively move between the 35 Summicron, a Summarit 75 and two old Pentax lenses, a 50 1.4 and a 100 macro. I am currently leaning towards the 35 APO Summicron SL and the excellent Sigma 85 1.4 DG DN. I have heard some good things about the Sigma 45, and it might find it's way in as #3 despite my not really liking it wide-open. Closer focus seems to produce some unpredictable results from what I have seen as well, though I have no direct experience with that.

This is very interesting, as I am okay with focusing on a LCD screen and EVF with my Panasonic GH4 and G9, usually with the fast Voigtlander primes. Knowing that the SL is easy to manually focus with peaking is reassuring. I'm keen to get the Panasonic 24-105 and the new Sigma 85mm f1.4, and I have a slew of Leica, Zeiss and Voigtlander M mount lenses, plus a handful of Pentax K and Minolta MD lenses. The Panasonic S5 would be a great bet for the SLR lenses, but I want to be able to shoot with M lenses, too. If I get the SL primarily for stills, I think it will work for me. I just need this darn lockdown to be over, and shops to reopen, so I can try out the SL again.

Zeiss 35ZM 1.4 Distagon is my favorite overall lens on the SL....but the Sigma 35/1.4 HSM ART has AF and (no matter what some reviews say)it's pretty sharp in the center and very affordable (like $699). I use it more than my 35SL, I just like the wider aperture and lighter kit.

I just got the 85DN too, currently using the 75SL and m-90 2.4, but this Sigma 85 feels REALLY good. I've only just started using it though. Optics are special, jury's still out on the AF compared to my other SL lenses. 

There's lots of good glass out there that is Leica branded, i think Sigma is doing a really great job.

Here's the 1st shot I took with the 85 DN, wide open

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here's one from my favorite, the Zeiss 35/1.4

Edited by thatkatmat
  • Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, thatkatmat said:

Zeiss 35ZM 1.4 Distagon is my favorite overall lens on the SL....but the Sigma 35/1.4 HSM ART has AF and (no matter what some reviews say)it's pretty sharp in the center and very affordable (like $699). I use it more than my 35SL, I just like the wider aperture and lighter kit.

I just got the 85DN too, currently using the 75SL and m-90 2.4, but this Sigma 85 feels REALLY good. I've only just started using it though. Optics are special, jury's still out on the AF compared to my other SL lenses. 

There's lots of good glass out there that is Leica branded, i think Sigma is doing a really great job.

Is your Sigma 35 the L mount version, or an adapted EF version? How is the autofocus speed and accuracy compared with the 75 SL?

10 hours ago, thatkatmat said:

Here's the 1st shot I took with the 85 DN, wide open

Here's one from my favorite, the Zeiss 35/1.4

Thank you for your feedback. 
I'm interested to see more photos and your opinion on the new Sigma 85. 
Cheers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Archiver said:

Is your Sigma 35 the L mount version, or an adapted EF version? How is the autofocus speed and accuracy compared with the 75 SL?

It's the L mount. it has signature Sigma HSM AF, the throw can stutter right before the lock. I just did a quick comparison at my desk with my SL2.

The Leica 75SL is pretty much instant...very impressive. The Sigma like I said, has a stutter first.

So the Leica you hit the shutter release and you get Click/Bam, locked. With the Sigma you get Click/stutter/Bam. Still fast. I actually tried the Sigma 1st and thought, wow, not sure if I'm gonna beat that by much with the 75SL....Then I mounted the SL and wow....yeah, I could tell. The point being, the Sigma is pretty fast and sure, the Leica is PERFECT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Torpille said:

Thank you for your feedback. 
I'm interested to see more photos and your opinion on the new Sigma 85. 
Cheers

I don't have much to post yet, but I'm going to try and pit the 75SL vs the 85 DN against each other if the weather holds. From what I've seen so far, the 75SL is pretty much perfect except I wish it was a wider aperture. The Bokeh looks like a painting, colors splashing and mixing perfectly. The Sigma melts away the background into more smooth broader patches of color. Both are stunningly sharp, even zooming into pixel level, like 400% :)

I use my Japanese Maple as one of my bokeh tests, with so many twigs leaves and branches, it can get pretty swirly. This 85 tames it better than most.

Anyways, until I can get more time with the lens, here's a few more with the 85 DN/SL2 at a few different distances wide open.

Edited by thatkatmat
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how Sigma had to decide between porting over a bunch of their DSLR designs for L mount, and get those lenses into the market, vs the more expensive and slow process of creating all new designs for L mount. The new 85mm looks fantastic, and suits smaller cameras much more. If/when I get into L mount, the 85mm will be on the list.

The 85 is definitely a keeper, used it to take this shot of a few sexy 50's

Leica SL2
85mm F1.4 DG DN | Art 020
ƒ/1.4, 85.0 mm, 1/160, ISO 2000

Edited by thatkatmat
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Archiver said:

I wonder how Sigma had to decide between porting over a bunch of their DSLR designs for L mount, and get those lenses into the market, vs the more expensive and slow process of creating all new designs for L mount. The new 85mm looks fantastic, and suits smaller cameras much more. If/when I get into L mount, the 85mm will be on the list.

I imagine that by joining the L-Mount alliance and in order to offer a competitive alternative to the summicron SL 90mm which weighs "only" 700g, the design of a new lens was essential...

The 85mm F1.4 DG HSM with its 1200g cannot really seduce the users of the S1/R and SL/SL2. 
The housings are already very heavy and the market tendency is to hunt for weight.

The 85mm F1.4 DG DN with its 630g and its attractive price, goes on a niche market that is the 85/90 mm, have a huge success and allow many buyers who like portrait photography to consider buying a second hand Leica SL and access to very high-end.  Thank you Sigma

4 hours ago, Torpille said:

I imagine that by joining the L-Mount alliance and in order to offer a competitive alternative to the summicron SL 90mm which weighs "only" 700g, the design of a new lens was essential...

The 85mm F1.4 DG HSM with its 1200g cannot really seduce the users of the S1/R and SL/SL2. 
The housings are already very heavy and the market tendency is to hunt for weight.

The 85mm F1.4 DG DN with its 630g and its attractive price, goes on a niche market that is the 85/90 mm, have a huge success and allow many buyers who like portrait photography to consider buying a second hand Leica SL and access to very high-end.  Thank you Sigma

Well, that's pretty much me. Apart from my desire to use my M lenses on a body that will allow rapid burst and EVF focusing, I'm more interested in smaller, lighter but high quality lenses that will keep the weight of the SL down. If it wasn't for the M lenses, I'd go with the S1 or S5 and not really consider the SL at all, as it's still more expensive used than either the S1 or S5 new. The upcoming f1.8 primes from Panasonic will be big sellers, I think. If Sigma makes similarly small and high quality lenses, we'll have even more choices.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 7:25 PM, thatkatmat said:

I don't have much to post yet, but I'm going to try and pit the 75SL vs the 85 DN against each other if the weather holds. From what I've seen so far, the 75SL is pretty much perfect except I wish it was a wider aperture. The Bokeh looks like a painting, colors splashing and mixing perfectly. The Sigma melts away the background into more smooth broader patches of color. Both are stunningly sharp, even zooming into pixel level, like 400% :)

I use my Japanese Maple as one of my bokeh tests, with so many twigs leaves and branches, it can get pretty swirly. This 85 tames it better than most.

Anyways, until I can get more time with the lens, here's a few more with the 85 DN/SL2 at a few different distances wide open.

thank you for these first pictures with the 85 DN, don't hesitate to post others :) 

Edited by Torpille
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 8:07 PM, thatkatmat said:

Leica SL2

Love this trinity 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 2:07 PM, thatkatmat said:

Leica SL2

Is that the the 50 summilux-sl of the sunmicron-sl. Sorry I don't have any of the sl gear yet and I'm still trying to get used to the sizes lol

On 10/7/2020 at 1:25 PM, thatkatmat said:

I love the pictures especially the first one in the car!

• Thanks 1