Wabi-Sabi Photography - open Thread- !!!

Ando

Guest BlackBarn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Ando said:

It's too dark even for me!

It might grow on you....might not....depends on the interpretation you choose.

The black photograph could represent the moment in every camera just before the photographer engages their senses. It is the ‘Zero Point’ of photography like the Black Square painting of Kazimir Malevich.

It could represent the perfect imperfect example  of a wabi sabi photo....forgetting to put a film in the camera or keeping the lens cap on....

Or it could be a Zen Koan........‘which tries to teach us the preferred way to be in the world - immediate, non verbal, spontaneous and intuitive’, moving away from reliance on reason, language and logic.....which leads us may be  to ‘ANDOism’

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by BlackBarn
B ex

2 hours ago, BlackBarn said:

It might grow on you....might not....depends on the interpretation you choose.

The black photograph could represent the moment in every camera just before the photographer engages their senses. It is the ‘Zero Point’ of photography like the Black Square painting of Kazimir Malevich.

It could represent the perfect imperfect example  of a wabi sabi photo....forgetting to put a film in the camera or keeping the lens cap on....

Or it could be a Zen Koan........‘which tries to teach us the preferred way to be in the world - immediate, non verbal, spontaneous and intuitive’, moving away from reliance on reason, language and logic.....which leads us may be  to ‘ANDOism’

So I thought I'd explore your lens cap idea, but it is way too advanced for me. So here is my beginner's reply... my lens cap photo, adjusted looking for the secrets of wabi sabi.

• Thanks 1

Guest BlackBarn
1 hour ago, Gerbs said:

So I thought I'd explore your lens cap idea

Ah you’re version is far more interesting!

vor 23 Stunden schrieb Ando:

It's too dark even for me!

Sorry, Dear BlackBarn/Pete!

I want to apologize to you! I thought you meant the black picture as a joke, a kind of humorous criticism of our discussion.
I will of course deal with it now, and Kazimir Malevich's art is familiar to me.
Thanks for your contributions!
Andreas

Guest BlackBarn
57 minutes ago, Ando said:

I thought you meant the black picture as a joke,

Hi Ando.....absolutely no need to apologize. I knew some may see it as funny -  which it also is - and I was worried that others may see it as disrespectful but I knew It was a photo which would sit comfortably with the depth of subject.  I went out to find a subject for your wabi sabi post and the first one I took I accidentally left the lens cap on. Normally I would utter the word ‘idiot’ but this time I thought ‘ wow perfect, don’t think I can improve on that’.   

Still wet outside

M10, 2.2/90mm Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Thambar (1937)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

mikado......

• Like 2

Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus)

Leica Q2
ISO 800
1/125
f/4.0
hand held
macro mode

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Thanks 1

Thus far, I have not seen any photo here which I can see as wabi-sabi as defined in Wikipedia. I did not know anything about this context until I read that. So maybe someone can explain. In the Wikipedia definition and outline of the historical development of this concept I read that it is about culture and art, not about nature. I mostly see photo’s of flowers here and I seldom see something like the elegance of imperfection in how these flowers are presented. 😳 beats me. The collection of images presented could also be called non-sense photography, as a collection I mean, a few individual remarkable images excluded. 

Edited by otto.f
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, otto.f said:

Thus far, I have not seen any photo here which I can see as wabi-sabi as defined in Wikipedia. I did not know anything about this context until I read that. So maybe someone can explain. In the Wikipedia definition and outline of the historical development of this concept I read that it is about culture and art, not about nature. I mostly see photo’s of flowers here and I seldom see something like the elegance of imperfection in how these flowers are presented. 😳 beats me. The collection of images presented could also be called non-sense photography, as a collection I mean, a few individual remarkable images excluded. 

From https://medium.com/personal-growth/wabi-sabi-the-japanese-philosophy-for-a-perfectly-imperfect-life-11563e833dc0

“Wabi” is said to be defined as “rustic simplicity” or “understated elegance” with a focus on a less-is-more mentality.

“Sabi” is translated to “taking pleasure in the imperfect.”

In Zen philosophy, there are seven aesthetic principles in achieving wabi-sabi:

• Kanso — simplicity
  • Fukinsei — asymmetry or irregularity
  • Shibumi — beauty in the understated
  • Shizen — naturalness without pretense
  • Yugen — subtle grace
  • Datsuzoku — freeness
  • Seijaku — tranquility

So for me finding elements of wabi sabi in many of the pictures in the thread isn't hard. Particularly if you approach each one openly with a Zen mind, looking for a flash of understanding, within yourself, that the photograph might lead to. In my own photos, the one of the mailbox in the rain is one I am proud of in terms of wabi sabi. I will grant that on first glance it is easy to dismiss it as an artsy attempt at uplifting the rural life, but if you approach it openly, and put yourself into the scene, then I think you can very well find wabi sabi. Picture yourself walking out the gravel driveway to the gravel road, in a gentle rain. A simple chore, in non-perfect weather. But as you walk, you see the rain falling against dark areas, you see the weeds and wildflowers bending over from the weight of the water they carry, you see puddles and rain drops decorating the puddles. You think of the circle of life, the circle of the seasons, death and renewal. So, if you take the time, slow down, you can find a moment of bliss during the simple chore of checking the mail, even in the rain.

Some photographs are looking for beauty in imperfection, something nature shares all the time, if you slow down. Others are more direct attempts at incorporating wabi sabi directly into the photograph, BlackBarn's lenscap photo by itself is a waste of time, but add in the story behind it and suddenly it becomes part of a performance piece, sort of. A look at a moment of Zen, through accident, through imperfection. Even if it started as something of a joke, Zen can handle it. For me, that's the lesson in Zen and wabi sabi and Taoism. They can handle it. And so can you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Skewed fence

M10 with 50mm Noctilux f/1 (sorry if the image doesn't meet the theme requirements)

• Like 5

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Gerbs:

...Particularly if you approach each one openly with a Zen mind, looking for a flash of understanding, within yourself, that the photograph might lead to. In my own photos, the one of the mailbox in the rain is one I am proud of in terms of wabi sabi. I will grant that on first glance it is easy to dismiss it as an artsy attempt at uplifting the rural life, but if you approach it openly, and put yourself into the scene, then I think you can very well find wabi sabi. Picture yourself walking out the gravel driveway to the gravel road, in a gentle rain. A simple chore, in non-perfect weather. But as you walk, you see the rain falling against dark areas, you see the weeds and wildflowers bending over from the weight of the water they carry, you see puddles and rain drops decorating the puddles. You think of the circle of life, the circle of the seasons, death and renewal. So, if you take the time, slow down, you can find a moment of bliss during the simple chore of checking the mail, even in the rain.

Some photographs are looking for beauty in imperfection, something nature shares all the time, if you slow down. Others are more direct attempts at incorporating wabi sabi directly into the photograph, BlackBarn's lenscap photo by itself is a waste of time, but add in the story behind it and suddenly it becomes part of a performance piece, sort of. A look at a moment of Zen, through accident, through imperfection. Even if it started as something of a joke, Zen can handle it. For me, that's the lesson in Zen and wabi sabi and Taoism. They can handle it. And so can you.

To many words...if you need the words it can not be w/s...Your pic just leads to the described meaning, nothing subtle.

Oh! Am I "in" again...? I can not leave... smart aleck🤥

1 hour ago, docmarten said:

To many words...if you need the words it can not be w/s...Your pic just leads to the described meaning, nothing subtle.

Oh! Am I "in" again...? I can not leave... smart aleck🤥

Ah Grasshopper, the words, the photographs... life, leads you to where YOU can go, inside.

• Like 1

Chains that bind

• Like 1

Guest BlackBarn
13 hours ago, otto.f said:

Thus far, I have not seen any photo here which I can see as wabi-sabi as defined in Wikipedia.

D.T. Suzuki was the person credited for bringing Zen  to the West. He said (paraphrasing)  the biggest challenge was trying to explain Zen which was a philosophy outside the language and thought process used within the Western construct - where everything had to have a singular meaning, reason and logic.  He had to try to introduce concepts of perceiving life to people whose only  source of  reference and explanation was ‘Wikipedia like’ in construction. 

Wabi Sabi wasn’t created at the point of its naming, it isn’t a bounded system as defined by this is or isn’t and the explanation can’t be fitted into the conceptual framework of descriptive ‘words’. Wikipedia doesn’t explain Wabi Sabi - it reduces the meaning into a simple construct a Western mind has been trained to resonate with.

Every photo contribution is not a flat image but reflects a sensitivity of selection and  expression of a persons thoughts and feelings when taken. That is how each photo encourages us to respond - on the beauty and unbiased transition of life - not through our descriptive or analytical mind but through our sensing which is the area of engagement and territory which the words  Wabi Sabi partially occupy.

vor einer Stunde schrieb BlackBarn:

D.T. Suzuki ...  He had to try to introduce concepts of perceiving life to people whose only  source of  reference and explanation was ‘Wikipedia like’ in construction. 

But Wikipedia was smart enough to tell him that w/s does not live here. D.T. Suzuki will tell where you may find it. 

Sure, "Every photo contribution is not a flat image but reflects a sensitivity of selection and  expression of a persons thoughts and feelings when taken." But, these sensitivity, reflections often are, ahem, more simple than subtle...

Guest BlackBarn
52 minutes ago, docmarten said:

But Wikipedia was smart enough to tell him that w/s does not live here. D.T. Suzuki will tell where you may find it.

Not quite.....its always lived here ..... the Western mindset was  just looking through a different optic which bounded their perception and so unaware there were other lens options. DTS ‘simply’ introduced a new lens to consider as well as  promoting  a non judgmental respect for life - an acceptance and understanding of differences.

The photos in your link are really really thoughtfully beautiful and says far more about the photographer than your words ever could - I love the simplicity.

vor 11 Minuten schrieb BlackBarn:

Not quite.....its always lived here ..... the Western mindset was  just looking through a different optic which bounded their perception and so unaware there were other lens options. DTS ‘simply’ introduced a new lens to consider as well as  promoting  a non judgmental respect for life - an acceptance and understanding of differences.

The photos in your link are really really thoughtfully beautiful and says far more about the photographer than your words ever could - I love the simplicity.

I agree...with the first two lines.

And the third? Well, thank you, but the photos maybe show the the first meters of a long road which lies before me. Hope I will find a wormhole, there is not much time left...💥