Wabi-Sabi Photography - open Thread- !!!

Ando

Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, Ando said:

...I am fascinated by ZEN, Wabi Sabi, and Haiku also touches me...

In that case, have a look at my photobook, Frog Leaping. The point of departure is that haiku speak the same way photographs do. The book includes five haiku, traditional and modern, which you can find on the website, including my own translation of the Basho's frog haiku. The first page on the website gives the point of view of the designer and the second one gives my rationale for the book. Make sure to also look that the flip-through video to see the unusual structure of the book.

M10 Monochrom, 75mm APO-Summicron ASPH

Meandering through the years

they crossed my path,

which way is the sky?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

M10 Monochrom, 90mm Macro-Elmar

A leaf fell gently on the path

My feet will fall there soon,

What friend has gone before?

• Like 3

I don't know, think its not a Haiku

but its the truth about me

Edited by Ando
  • Like 3

vor 14 Stunden schrieb Gerbs:

Clouds darken the sky

Grass waves in the wind

My teakettle sings on the fire

Hm, I like the Haiku, but it has nothing to do with my collage.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Gerbs:

A leaf fell gently on the path

My feet will fall there soon,

What friend has gone before?

That touches my soul deeply. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is now time for a self-reflection:

My photography is an examination of myself, e.g. I go the forest path, sunbeams illuminate certain points that I look at, find interesting or beautiful and then take photos. That is very good for me. And distracts from my problems and entanglements.
But I am well aware (and this is especially true of the post-processing on the screen) that the mindfulness meditation becomes a self-reflection.
My pictures show a lot of my feelings, fears, longings.

I realize that this is no longer wabi-sabi.
Or is it?
Or what is it?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ando said:

Hm, I like the Haiku, but it has nothing to do with my collage.

Au contraire, with storms brewing (darkening sky, blowing wind) it is nice to be comfortably at home by a warm fire. If I was to make the haiku better instead of a tea kettle I'd have come up with something cooking, to bring in another sense. Sight for clouds, wind for touch, cooking for smell, taste, and sound. Haiku, I think, should be somewhat non-obvious. I've always thought that Haiku should try to surprise in the last line, to contrast, to make a leap. The whole piece should be a harmonious whole, that also brings a little enlightenment.

In your most recent Haiku, "young and old » plants form an espalier » around my grave" by my understanding (I'm not an expert) the lines should be just a bit different, with each line being a complete idea. A rhythm of idea and thought, not a smooth flow from one to the next. So: Young and old plants » A woven espalier » I rest below (or "My grave below" or "Is this my grave?") follows your theme very closely, but is a bit more Haiku-like, I think.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ando said:

It is now time for a self-reflection:

My photography is an examination of myself, e.g. I go the forest path, sunbeams illuminate certain points that I look at, find interesting or beautiful and then take photos. That is very good for me. And distracts from my problems and entanglements.
But I am well aware (and this is especially true of the post-processing on the screen) that the mindfulness meditation becomes a self-reflection.
My pictures show a lot of my feelings, fears, longings.

I realize that this is no longer wabi-sabi.
Or is it?
Or what is it?

This includes wabi-sabi. I think we've grown to include Zen and the Tao, but they all relate in different ways. It takes a little Zen to see the wabi-sabi, it takes a little Taoism to have it all come together, and another touch of Zen is what makes it sing. Ideally. When you really have things together, LOL.

I would prefer if you thought of your photography as an exploration of yourself, not so much an examination of yourself. It should give you freedom to >>be<< yourself, and learn about yourself, without the intensity that the word examination brings to my mind. You go out into the world, see, and react. You open yourself to the world, react without thought, and learn about yourself in how your free self reacted. Ideally the photograph (or painting) you make will bring forth many of the same feelings you had when in front of the actual world, and resonate similarly with others. At least, that's the best of my goals in my work, when I am at my best and most together. Which it has been a long time since it was there, but is coming back, I hope. It's also just plain fun getting out and hiking around with a great camera. Although lately I'm hardly hiking, it's more like step... pause... look... step... pause... look... LOL.

• Thanks 1

Guest Nowhereman

It's worthwhile to think about haiku in relation to photography. Roland Barthes in his book on Japan, Empire of Signs, writes that haiku work the same way as photographs: haiku never describe feelings— in haiku the event and its image predominate without description, without explication  — the same way as in a photograph, in a form in which the image rather than the word prevails. In this sense, Barthes writes about discovering in Zen and haiku the “emptiness” that comes with the “end of language”. Barthes writes how, after much Zen exercise, there is a moment when language ceases, instituting, in a mental flash, the truth of Zen — and the brief and empty form of haiku. The same, in Barthes’ view, goes for photographs.

I conflated this emptiness concept with something I read about Daido Moriyama in one of his books going “as far as possible from the realm of words”. I wrote more about this as the point of departure for the photobook that I'm working on now in this LUF thread: Photobook Publishing and its Discontents.

Tree after tree, a forest

A well marked trail

Closed eyes, smelling pine

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fall’s face as death paints

patterns you stand and stare. whose care?

yours? mine? seems no matter?

M10-P, Macro-Elmar-M 1:4/90
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Dry days into Autumn
First leaf turned fully brown
Like a blade a day can cut

• Like 2

The dull 1:1 illustration of an Haiku with photographs is nice for a "Japanese style" calendar through the seasons...and in 90% you'll see rotten branches, plants and leafs. That is not very subtle...

But the thread is about wabi-sabi. From a western point of view it seems all the same.

Edited by docmarten

7 minutes ago, docmarten said:

The dull 1:1 illustration of an Haiku with photographs is nice for a "Japanese style" calendar through the seasons...and in 90% you'll see rotten branches, plants and leafs. That is not very subtle...

But the thread is about wabi-sabi. From a western point of view it seems all the same.

Please teach me with your images.

• Like 1

Next time I'll get badly misaligned, wrongly exposed and developed dark room print like this, I'll just call is wabi-sabi. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

the dance without touch

• Like 3

vor 30 Minuten schrieb Gerbs:

Please teach me with your images.

Ok, the real taste of wabi sabi

Ziege by Martin Hufnagel, auf Flickr

Edited by docmarten
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6