Q2 Crashes Regularly

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

My Q2 has recently started crashing on a reasonably regular basis. If I go out for a 1 / 2 hour shoot it will crash once or twice. The display pixelates and the entire camera freezes / locks. Powering off and on does nothing, the display remains pixelated, and only physically removing the battery will fix the issue. The camera will start up just fine after re-inserting the battery. It can happen at any time usually when playing with the settings or going in to the menus and only occasionally has it happened whilst writing a file to the memory card resulting in a lost photo. I'm wondering if it is related to an SD card issue but since it's not always related to when the camera is writing or reading from SD card I'm not so sure. Picture below of the camera back screen after it has crashed. 

Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be causing it? My Q2 was purchased in May of this year and has a manufacturing date of March. 

Cheers,

Delirious.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is very interesting. Since a few days I have also had a problem that looks the same in EVF and display.
I've had it happen twice before. I had the Q2 turned on in my hand, took some photos, took them from my eye and when I took the camera up after a short time, it looked exactly like on your photo. But I was able to switch off the camera and after switching it on again the error was fixed. 
As I said, luckily only 2x so far.
Hopefully we do not have to send the camera in for repair.
My SD card is a Sony Tough 64GB V90. It should be fast enough. I will format it. Furthermore I have increased the frame rate in the EVF from 60 to 120 fps.

Frank

I'm using a SanDisk ExtremePro 128GB which I bought at the same time as the camera and have formatted the card since but still experience the issue. I don't believe it is memory card related since it will happen when the camera is not accessing the memory card. However, I wouldn't rule it out totally.

Cheers,
Delirious. 

• 1 year later...

I’ve had the exact same problem since I bought my Q2 in 2020. Ive tested multiple SE cards and now I use the fastest you can get and the camera still does the same thing. I never sent it in because I thought the photos were just too big and I was shooting too fast but I’m finally sending it in this week for repair since it keeps happening and since I read that it could be a problem with the main board. 

Edited by Guibenites