6x9 and 6x8 negative film holders for DSL scanning

fatihayoglu

I digitized the one roll of 6x9 negatives in my father's collection by putting them directly on my Logan light table and covering each frame in turn with a 4x5 piece of ANR glass. The glass had a black construction paper mask taped to the non-etched side.

On 7/31/2020 at 6:19 PM, fatihayoglu said:

Thank you very much!

do you happen to have a name or brand for that pierce of kit?

The Logan light box is a Model 501. The ANR glass was given to me by a friend who shut down his commercial darkroom 20+ years ago. I cut black paper masks for 127, 6x6 and 6x6 negatives.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, fatihayoglu said:

DoUg, thank you sry much, I guess I’ve managed to find a ANr glass manufacturer.

however one quick Question, some people says you can see the texture of ANR on scanned negatives. How is your experience?

I suspect that there is some degradation, but I have compared "scans" of MF ngatives with the above setup with stitched multi exposure  "scans" using my glassless 35mm setup and see nothing that I could attribute to the ANR glass. FWIW I am pretty sure that the piece of ANR glass I am using was salvaged from a DeVere enlarger.

• 4 weeks later...

I use thick acrylic frame like this: (You can get the right size to your like). 

https://www.shoppopdisplays.com/11003/4-x-6-magnetic-acrylic-picture-frame.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjws536BRDTARIsANeUZ5-ESWHrZ9Hu7AlWhQC4XSMvcVews1sWjm_EwR9x_q8wrke-iTY8FJoaAp76EALw_wcB

The film is sandwiched between the two pieces of acrylic. The whole thing then lay on the grid-less/pattern-less LED light panel (must be uniformed bright white, you don't want to see the dots, ).

To prevent the scratches of the film, I taped two strips of electrical/plumbing tape on the inner surface. The tape makes a nice spacer (between the two acrylic) and film track (a track to lay the film) . I have the same tape on the outer edge of the outer surface. This makes another spacer between the bottom of the acrylic and the light panel. 

It is important to keep the inner surface absolutely free of dust or finger print. Always use air ball, do not ever touch it or leave it exposed to the dust. The outer surface is less sensitive because minor dust on it will always out of focus.    

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes use my fuji 6x9, and have many negs different formats...so have ordered from clifforth...i'll see how it all goes.  If happy i'll let everyone know, as scanners are a pain.

I've done digicam copies before and they are quite good. I've just built a beaut copystand, and have an amazing light tablet (A3)...all systems go, i think.

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1

developed this today from my Fuji. Delta 100 in T-Max for 6 minutes

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

In the old days we would take our enlarge film holder and file it out. At that time it was just getting the edge of the sprocket holes showing. If you want the film name to show, then get an enlarger film holder the next size up with AN glass in it. You would probably need a 4x5 film holder. Beseler, Durst and Omega all had them.