28 Battle, Does Cron is worth vs Elmarit? Let me explain

Advertisement (gone after registration)

43 minutes ago, cp995 said:

Have a look at the comparisons at Fred Miranda.
There's no quality justification for the Summicron beside the rede dot.
So for every rational thinking person, there is no reason to waste their money on the Summicron or Elmarit.

I don't read reviews of lenses i own but what you're saying about Fred Miranda is not an encouragement to change my mind without any disrespect. I happen to use both lenses, the Ultron is indeed a great little lens that is sharp at all apertures but it has more contrast than the Summicron and more color fringing. I like its smaller size too so i prefer using it with the Digital CL than the larger Summicron. But the king is the king and its name is not Ultron. I don't mind to call it the prince though ;).

Edited by lct
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Nice thoughts here.

I’m rebuilding a Leica kit after selling off a few film M’s and R’s in 2001 for child support. I also do design work and teach, so when my college asked me to start a MFA photo major, I had to re-enter. I went to Canon, first Ls, later with all the Zeiss ZE primes out there. Bought a Q, the gateway drug to M again. 

I’m a 28/50 guy since my earlier days, expanding to 21 and 90. Picked up an M246 mono since I don’t do color for my own work (still have all that Canon kit for typhoons and color). It was a Leica and monochrome test, and I’m sure there’s another M in my bag someday. Aside from the Q, perhaps a Q2 soon, I have the 50 lux asph, 21 super elmar asph, 90 summarit 2.5. 

Thinking I might not want to carry a Q with the others on the daily (I’m an American street shooter in Hong Kong), I went looking for a 28. 

After much research, I just picked up a v4 Elmar and v happy, but since the grass is always greener with faster glass, I’m questioning not getting a 28 Cron asph for only(?) $1000 more. Might be more cash after a week of use, but does anyone with more experience with these think it’s worth it? I’m probably at f8 for zone focusing, and I have the Lux 1.7 on the Q for bar work… am I on the right thought path here, and should I take that extra cash and just up my Q to a Q2? Love a 28 and love the Q! 

So, 28 v4 Elmarit in hand with no complaints, or up to a Cron? Q to Q2

thanks people!

EDIT: I just realized I never bring the Q anymore since I got the wider M glass. Maybe my answer is sell the Q, trade for the 28 Cron, pick up a newer M monochrome. Thoughts?

Edited by MacDougall
Indecisiveness