R8/9 Motor Winder completely dead - it was working perfectly the last time I used it.

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just looked at the winders on both my R8 and R9 and there is no round button on the bottom. The only objects there are the lock for the winder onto the camera body and the external power socket. You don't by any chance mean the round serrated button about 6mm in diameter on the side of the winder. That is a cover which unscrews to reveal the socket for connection of the electric remote release or the intervalometer. 

Wilson

I think he means the motor drive, on the left side. Pic from Leica Store

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MKHB

I mean the round switch on the bottom, in this picture. It has two positions, a "dot" and a "dash". I don't know what either position does. I've had the motor drive for some months now and still haven't conclusively figured it out. 🙁

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I always wished the R8/9 winder had a secondary release button somewhere, like the winder for my R4 does. As I have lost the extreme tip of my right index finger, I find it quite a stretch to the regular release button on my R8 and R9. 

Wilson

17 hours ago, SHenry said:

I think that may be the optional shutter release button with a locking dial?

My DMR, front lower section,  has a shutter release button with a locking dial, that looks just like the button on the R8/9 Motor Drive.

Oooh, good suggestion! I will test that theory when I finish up the roll of Ektachrome that is currently in the camera. I rarely shoot in portrait orientation, so I simply haven't taken a picture with that trigger button yet.

• Like 1