Capture One 20: specific warning for Leica Q2 users

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Stephen_C:

First I have only one Adobe DNG profile in Capture One (Adobe > DNG File Neutral)

I had and still have two Adobe ICC Profiles:
Adobe DNG Neutral
Adobe DNG DNG WorkSpace

The CaptureOne 20 Leica Q2 Generic profile gave me a too reddish profile, now with the new update 20.0.2 it may be correct or still a thad too red/yellowish.

As i am busy i have not checked in depth the color rendering, it just seemed to me that the V20 Adobe DNG WorkSpace worked "well" while now it's too "insipid".
Some yellow rich pictures from inside a church seem too yellow now, but as i wrote, this need to be checked having time.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 8:26 PM, tom.w.bn said:

Why do you ask this here? Did you open a support case on the capture one web page? Is there something about this issue in the capture one forum? If no one does it officially, how should they know.

Why do you ask where do I ask...? Be more polite...

Am 27.1.2020 um 15:44 schrieb PhotoCruiser:

The CaptureOne 20 Leica Q2 Generic profile gave me a too reddish profile, now with the new update 20.0.2 it may be correct or still a thad too red/yellowish.

As i am busy i have not checked in depth the color rendering, it just seemed to me that the V20 Adobe DNG WorkSpace worked "well" while now it's too "insipid".
Some yellow rich pictures from inside a church seem too yellow now, but as i wrote, this need to be checked having time.

I am editing some pictures i took yesterday around the Azuero Penisula in Panamá and i still experience too reddish and saturated colors.
Best profile is still the Adobe DNG FIle DNG Workspace.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Editing this foto i stumbled again over the too reddish color rendering of the CaptureOne with Leica Q2 camera profile.
The color on this evening was absolutely not as shown using Q2 profile and not even using DNG Neutral profile;
Adobe DNG Workspace comes nearest

The only reason why color is still too reddish is that i did not deleted the first Capture One 2.0 version when i installed the recent 20.0.2 Update,
and this was not overwriting the Leica Q2 profile.

I may should delete the whole CaptureOne installation, reboot and reinstall it again to see if something changes...😒

Chris

CaptureOne Leica Q2 profile

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

CaptureOne Adobe DNG Neutral profile

CaptureOne Adobe Workspace profile

Edited by PhotoCruiser

Am 27.1.2020 um 15:32 schrieb Stephen_C:

First I have only one Adobe DNG profile in Capture One (Adobe > DNG File Neutral) which gives my pictures a very drab appearance.

I have two as i had before with the original Capture One 20
Maybe because i use a german version of Capture One? Maybe because i did not unintstalled capture One before installing 20.0.2?

EDIT: I just checked the folder where the camera profiles are stored and found that LeicaQ2_Generic.icm    17.12.2019     217KB

Edit Edit: I uninstalled CaptureOne, reinstalled in english and problem remains, same color cast and i still have two adobe DNG icm profiles.

However, i still have the red tint and i still have 2 Adobe camera profiles

@Stephen_C: Do you use Mac or Windows?
The last explanation i can imagine is that there is a difference between mac os and windows???

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser

8 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

i still have two adobe DNG icm profiles.

I definitely have only one under Adobe: :DNG File Neutral. However, I've not had Lightroom on my machine since it went subscription only and I'm wondering if your additional profile is a Lightoom relic. I can't see, however, how that would affect the built-in Leica Q2 Capture One profile.

i did not unintstalled capture One before installing 20.0.2

Neither did I.

Do you use Mac or Windows?

Mac - running macOS Catalina.

I've just checked both the old and the new support forums and can find no reference to anyone else having this problem. I know there are several Q2 users on those forums so I'm afraid your problem appears to be specific to your setup in some way. I suggest you file a Capture One support request.

Stephen

Edit: fixed small typo.

Edited by Stephen_C

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Stephen_C:

However, I've not had Lightroom on my machine since it went subscription only and I'm wondering if your additional profile is a Lightoom relic.

The AdobeDNG Workspace file is called GenericDngFile-DNG Workspace.icc and it resides in the Capture One 20.0.2 / Color profiles / Common folder, so it's not a Lightroom relic.
Yesterday i deleted the whole CaptureOne folder including the user settings it was installed again when i reinstalled Capture one 20.0.2

Mac - running macOS Catalina.

Well then there must be a difference between Mac OS and Windows version and they might not included the updated LeicaQ2 profile.

I can't see, however, how that would affect the built-in Leica Q2 Capture One profile.

Obviously it does not influence the built-in Leica Q2 profile as i can choose only one of them.
It seems that the Windows Version 20.0.2 Leica Q2 color profile is the same as before while the MAC version they changed it to eliminate the excessive red tone and general saturation.

Chris

I suggest you file a Capture One support request.

I fear that this will be the last step to do.

Chris

4 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

It seems that the Windows Version 20.0.2 Leica Q2 color profile is the same as before while the MAC version they changed it to eliminate the excessive red tone and general saturation.

That is not so. See the release notes for Capture One 20.0.2 which include under *Bug Fixes Windows* the following:

Fixed an issue where Leica Q2 DNG files would be oversaturated.

On the basis of this post on the old Capture One forum (made before the profile update in 20.0.2) it seems to me that in some way your Q2 profile is not updating in Capture One. That is why I suspect a supprt request is the best bet.

Stephen

And the story goes on...

Phase One customer support suggested to reimport all photos again as catalogs imported with old V20.0.0 version will stay reddish as the old profile was already applied.
So i made a new catalog and imported the files again, unfortunately no success, photos are still too reddish and oversaturated.
I tried to use another Leica profile and discovered that the Leica Q profile render almost exactly as Lightroom renders the photo, the attached screenshot
Left side is CaptureOne with Leica Q2 profile, right side is Lightroom 9.1 Classic with Adobe Color profile

I wrote back to Phase One and waiting that they give me other hints how to fix that problem.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser

2 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

Phase One customer support suggested to reimport all photos again as catalogs imported with old V20.0.0 version will stay reddish as the old profile was already applied.

I'm as unimpressed with the new Capture One support as are many on the Capture One forum(s). You don't have to re-import. When 20.0.2 was released all I had to do was to select the new profile and apply it to all selected photos. That had the effect of updating all photos which previously used the old, defective Q2 profile, or the work-around profile I alluded to at the start of this thread.

I just checked the folder where the camera profiles are stored and found that LeicaQ2_Generic.icm    17.12.2019     217KB

You have an out of date Leica Q 2 profile, so far as I can judge. It's difficult to compare exactly because you're using Windows and I'm on a Mac. However, given that 20.0.2, when released on or about 27th January 2020, contained the updated Q2 profile your profile should be dated on or around that date. (It's hard now to trace the profiles on a Mac but I have a Leica Q2.copreset file—which I believe contains the profile—in  ~/Library/Application Support/Capture One/Defaults/Base Characteristics/—and that is dated 27th January, the date I installed the updated version of Capture One.)

Stephen

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Stephen_C:

You have an out of date Leica Q 2 profile, so far as I can judge. It's difficult to compare exactly because you're using Windows and I'm on a Mac. However, given that 20.0.2, when released on or about 27th January 2020, contained the updated Q2 profile your profile should be dated on or around that date. (It's hard now to trace the profiles on a Mac but I have a Leica Q2.copreset file—which I believe contains the profile—in  ~/Library/Application Support/Capture One/Defaults/Base Characteristics/—and that is dated 27th January, the date I installed the updated version of Capture One.)

This is what i guessed,
for Windows they probaly included the old ICM file in the new 20.0.2 software update for Windows or they did not modified the ICM profile.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Stephen_C:

I'm as unimpressed with the new Capture One support as are many on the Capture One forum(s).

They replied next day with a dump suggestion and not considering my question about the file date and size.
Every time they reply dump and very vague.
Not very usefull to be honest...

XYour help is much better than theirs, but that should not be like this, but honestly, Adobe Lightroom help is not better either, probably worst

Chris