New York City meet up? March 27-29, 2020

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, mikemgb said:

I mentioned this to my wife and she just booked a hotel room! We participated in the Long Distance Challenge and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I echo the excitement. The momentum is building for a fun weekend. Look forward to meeting you. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 10:01 PM, ropo54 said:

Sounds good, Dustin. I’m echoing Ken’s thoughts.

Excuse the brevity of my reply but out of town for a few days.  Happy Holidays.

Rob

Happy Holidays to you as well! Looking forward to meeting you all. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just across the river on the Jersey side and think I may be back from a trip that weekend and if so would enjoy meeting some folks.

Not to be too contrarian may I suggest that there are many, many better spots to enjoy good, even great food in NYC than Peter Luger's.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/dining/peter-luger-review-pete-wells.html

The reader comments to this article pretty much echo and in many cases expand upon the review

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, gfweir said:

I'm just across the river on the Jersey side and think I may be back from a trip that weekend and if so would enjoy meeting some folks.

Not to be too contrarian may I suggest that there are many, many better spots to enjoy good, even great food in NYC than Peter Luger's.  

The reader comments to this article pretty much echo and in many cases expand upon the review

Thanks: Pete Wells's review is pretty famous now. We appreciate this, but the whole event actually evolved out of a discussion of the restaurant, and, for sentimental reasons, that's where we are going. I'm making reservations tomorrow, so PM me if you want to join us for dinner. But especially please PM the 3 of us if you want to join the photo crawl, so we can include you in communication. It'd be great to have you along! Best wishes, Ken

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gfweir said:

FWIW, I was at Peter Luger Steakhouse about 1.5 years ago, and the steak was superb.  

Hope you'll join us, nonetheless.  Rob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 12:43 PM, gfweir said:

I was going to say the same thing but I don't exactly have a stellar reputation around here. Or more accurately, a contrarian that always seems to attract arguments, instead of debates. I thought I'd avoid this one. 

I simply don't think it's worth the money. There are so many other places . . . Besides, it's in brooklyn. 😎 

That's not to say those that signed up won't have a good time. Just leave room for a massive slab of red meat. 

Edited by Jake

Thanks, Jake. Whatever one says about the food (and, like Rob, I really like it despite the review), it's an incredibly fun place to sit and party.

There's still room if anyone wants to join us. But we'll need hard numbers by Feb 14 so please PM us!

best,

Ken

As a new member, I did not visit these forums to often yet but I would have loved to join you guys in NY but time constraints are keeping me away from it. 

Great to learn a One Challenge might come up in October in Athens . I will keep an eye on that.

Have fun!

Edited by Alf62
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alf62 said:

As a new member, I did not visit these forums to often yet but I would have loved to join you guys in NY but time constraints are keeping me away from it. 

Great to learn a One Challenge might come up in October in Athens . I will keep an eye on that.

Have fun!

Thanks, Alf62 and welcome to the forum.  We're all kind of excited about getting together - all of us having become acquainted through the forum.  We'll be posting a rough itinerary in the coming weeks, so, if any particular morning or afternoon works, come join even if only for a limited time.  Regards, Rob

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake said:

Is this meet up considered a One Challenge? And BTW ropo, my browser says your link could be malicious and could harm my computer.

No, we are not a "One Challenge".

Thanks, the link was from the museum. Perhaps just google Fotografiska New York for information.

Opened fine on mine....

I've enjoyed visiting Fotografiska in Stockholm. The NY "branch" got a mixed review last weekend - TLDR nice gallery but dull content.

I'm now dividing my time between NYC and London and might be able to join in part of the meet-up (although like some others I'll skip the "meat-up" at Luger's which is not my cup of tea as it were).

• Like 2