New York City meet up? March 27-29, 2020

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is an open invitation to any of our Leica Forum friends wanting to meet in NYC over the weekend of March 27-29, 2020, to walk the city and take some photographs.  "Bags27" (Ken),   "LeicaGuy" (Dan) and myself, "Ropo54" (Rob) are planning to meet that weekend and explore. We know each other through the Leica Forum, so please don't be shy about joining up with us, for all or part of the weekend.

Sites to visit are flexible and we are open to suggestions. Perhaps some of our NYC friends might join us and have some ideas?  Maybe: the World Trade Center, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge,  Times Square, Chinatown?   Maybe a visit to Leica Soho? Or, some vintage camera shops , along the way. (The itinerary is hardly set).  Maybe share a meal together? 

We are all making plans to get to NYC for that weekend, so please feel free to come from near and far. Take part in whatever might interest you!

Feel free to post or PM any of us if you have interest or suggestions. It should be a fun time!  Let us know.

Rob and Ken and Dan

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 4

This is an open invitation to any of our Leica Forum friends wanting to meet in NYC over the weekend of March 27-29, 2020, to walk the city and take some photographs.  "Bags27" (Ken),   "LeicaGuy" (Dan) and myself, "Ropo54" (Rob) are planning to meet that weekend and explore. We know each other through the Leica Forum, so please don't be shy about joining up with us, for all or part of the weekend.

Sites to visit are flexible and we are open to suggestions. Perhaps some of our NYC friends might join us and have some ideas?  Maybe: the World Trade Center, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge,  Times Square, Chinatown?   Maybe a visit to Leica Soho? Or, some vintage camera shops , along the way. (The itinerary is hardly set).  Maybe share a meal together? 

We are all making plans to get to NYC for that weekend, so please feel free to come from near and far. Take part in whatever might interest you!

Feel free to post or PM any of us if you have interest or suggestions. It should be a fun time!  Let us know.

Rob and Ken and Dan

• Like 3

Hello Rob,

I would be glad to be there. I am not too far away. You might also consider having this Thread in "Events & Member Meetings" at the bottom of the "International Forum" Section. That might reach even more people than having it here in this Section alone.

See you all there.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

We held a forum 'One Challenge' in New York in April this year with 15 or so members coming from New York, St Louis, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Britain, and Australia, so it's a shame you couldn't come along for that.  I'm afraid my budget won't stretch to coming along again in March although I'd love to be there.  I hope you all have an excellent day.

Pete.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, farnz said:

We held a forum 'One Challenge' in New York in April this year with 15 or so members coming from New York, St Louis, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Britain, and Australia, so it's a shame you couldn't come along for that.  I'm afraid my budget won't stretch to coming along again in March although I'd love to be there.  I hope you all have an excellent day.

Pete.

Thanks and that you cannot make it will be our loss.

I've rarely ever checked the Events Forum so was in the dark about the April 2019 event.  

Regards, Rob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/17/2019 at 4:45 PM, farnz said:

Pete.

Thanks, Pete. Sorry that the events are so close, but still far apart. It started because my wife and I had theater tickets for that Saturday night and Rob and I thought it would be fun to meet up there. One thing led to another....

Do I just watch this site to see when the One Challenge is? Or is there a list I can join? Not sure I can come, but if it's possible, I'd like to try.

best,

Ken

Hi Ken,

There is a yearly European Leica forum 'One Challenge' that takes place in a different European city on the second Saturday in October each year.  It's been going for 16 years and so far it's been held in London, Amsterdam, Paris, Berlin, Krakow, Valletta (Malta), Venice, Palermo, Copenhagen, Wetzlar (Germany), Istanbul, Vienna, Lisbon, Rome, Lyon, and this year it was held in Seville.  Next year's venue is Athens.  (It's called the 'One Challenge' because the rules are one camera, one lens, one ISO, to shoot one roll of film (or up to 36 digital shots), in one hour (extended to two hours now), and select one picture for judging by the members of the forum.)  

The New York One Challenge is part of a newer 'international' series of One Challenges that take place around April every two years and so far have been held in Kyoto, Melbourne, and New York, which is why we came to New York in April this year.

Both series' of One Challenge are normally announced in this Events and Members' Meetings Forum and a thread is started some months before October.  Usually 20 to 30 members come along and all members their wives,  partners etc are welcome to come along and take part and there is dinner organised on the Saturday evening and usually more spur of the moment get togethers for a drink and a bite to eat on the Thursday and Friday evenings depending on who's at the city by then.  It's a largely social affair and the Challenge is as much an excuse to visit a new city and catch up with old friends and meet new ones as much as anything else.

Pete.

2 hours ago, farnz said:

Hi Ken,

There is a yearly European Leica forum 'One Challenge' that takes place in a different European city on the second Saturday in October each year.  It's been going for 16 years and so far it's been held in London, Amsterdam, Paris, Berlin, Krakow, Valletta (Malta), Venice, Palermo, Copenhagen, Wetzlar (Germany), Istanbul, Vienna, Lisbon, Rome, Lyon, and this year it was held in Seville.  Next year's venue is Athens.  (It's called the 'One Challenge' because the rules are one camera, one lens, one ISO, to shoot one roll of film (or up to 36 digital shots), in one hour (extended to two hours now), and select one picture for judging by the members of the forum.)  

The New York One Challenge is part of a newer 'international' series of One Challenges that take place around April every two years and so far have been held in Kyoto, Melbourne, and New York, which is why we came to New York in April this year.

Both series' of One Challenge are normally announced in this Events and Members' Meetings Forum and a thread is started some months before October.  Usually 20 to 30 members come along and all members their wives,  partners etc are welcome to come along and take part and there is dinner organised on the Saturday evening and usually more spur of the moment get togethers for a drink and a bite to eat on the Thursday and Friday evenings depending on who's at the city by then.  It's a largely social affair and the Challenge is as much an excuse to visit a new city and catch up with old friends and meet new ones as much as anything else.

Pete.

Thanks so much for all this, Pete. I had only a very vague notion, but this helpful. The rules are terrific, I'm looking forward to joining one or another of the groups soon!

Ken

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My suggestion would be to have a look here now and then. In my understanding, what makes this forum special in the vast sea of the internet are the personal meetings. It is one of the reasons, why I consider this forum to be surprisingly civil, by and large.

Stefan

• Like 2

Friends:

We are thinking of kicking off the weekend on Friday night for dinner at "Peter Luger Steakhouse" in Brooklyn on Friday night.  "Peter Luger" is a world renowned restaurant, famous for its New York attitude, pub-like ambience, but best of all for serving some superbly grilled steaks.

At the moment, we are 6 people (with spouses) for dinner. We would like to get a head count to make the necessary arrangements with the restaurant, should our dinner group be larger. So, if you would like to join us please post on the thread and/or send a private note, along with the number of people who may be in your party.  

Would appreciate hearing by January 10, 2020 at the latest. 

(Please note the following:  Peter Luger does NOT accept credit cards!  Payment must be made in cash. The restaurant's link is posted here:  Welcome to Peter Luger Steakhouse.webloc .  Be prepared for an expensive dinner, but a delicious one!)

Season’s greetings to all!  

Rob, Ken and Dan  
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am planning on meeting up with you all on Saturday. I look forward to meeting everyone and will wait to see the details as to where we will meet on Saturday Morning. 

I live 1.5 hours from the city so this is an easy day trip for me. Looking forward to it. 

Dustin 

21 minutes ago, dkmoore said:

Hello,

I am planning on meeting up with you all on Saturday. I look forward to meeting everyone and will wait to see the details as to where we will meet on Saturday Morning. 

I live 1.5 hours from the city so this is an easy day trip for me. Looking forward to it. 

Dustin 

Great, Dustin! We'll be in touch, and looking forward to you joining us with us.

best,

Ken

• Like 1

I don't know how I missed this thread. I'm not a frequent contributor, but live in NYC. I would be happy to offer suggestions for locations, but would need to know more about what kind of photography the group wants to engage in. I don't mean to be a contrarian, I'm just thinking along the lines of street, industrial, infrastructure, uncommon places, societal divisions, economic disparities, etc., instead of tourist attractions - unless of course that's what the group wants. But any good photographer will make lemonade out of lemons.

/shrug

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

I don't know how I missed this thread. I'm not a frequent contributor, but live in NYC. I would be happy to offer suggestions for locations, but would need to know more about what kind of photography the group wants to engage in. I don't mean to be a contrarian, I'm just thinking along the lines of street, industrial, infrastructure, uncommon places, societal divisions, economic disparities, etc., instead of tourist attractions - unless of course that's what the group wants. But any good photographer will make lemonade out of lemons.

/shrug

Thanks so much, Jake! We will have 3 days, so I imagine we'll be looking at lots of different venues and would of course greatly appreciate your suggestions (we could discuss this via PM as we get closer) but also your presence!

best,

Ken

• Like 1