Q2 Lens Cap

bourne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone figured out a fix for their Q2 lens cap to help keep it from falling off the lens hood?  I know that the lens is nicely protected with the hood and a possible filter, but there are times that I do like to put the cap on without it instantly falling off?!  Has Leica redesigned the interior of the hood yet to add more felt or reposition it?  How widespread a problem is this among Leica Q2 owners?

Has anyone had experience with the Match Technical rubber cap for the Q2?

This has been a continual problem with Leica lenses which use the slip on cap with a felt covered inner circumference.  I first encountered it at least two decades ago on a Leica 500MM mirror lens, and I'm both surprised and chagrined that Leica has never come up with a suitable solution.  Solutions do exist, such as the snap cap for the hood of the Digilux 2 (possibly a Panasonic solution), but to my knowledge they've never solved it.  A number of other Q and Q2 users have resorted to using other third party caps.  You'll find a thread in this section about it.

I just used two little pieces of gaffer inside it and it's perfect

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The compression fit lens cap is a piss poor design. Since Leica hasn't changed/modified this substandard design in many years I see no reason to expect a revision soon.

Best to use 3rd party products. 

I haven't tried this product but it may be useful to some users.

Disclosure-No affiliation with Leica store Miami nor Match technical.

https://leicastoremiami.com/products/lens-cap-lc-sr-01-for-leica-q-and-q2-by-match-technical?variant=29806746206252

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Why do we keep having to pay for alternative solutions .   Leica could make something like the match technical device and supply it with the camera instead of the poor and inadequate  lens cap.    Does anyone keep a tally of how much they have had to spend on working solutions.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, lucerne said:

Why do we keep having to pay for alternative solutions .   Leica could make something like the match technical device and supply it with the camera instead of the poor and inadequate  lens cap.    Does anyone keep a tally of how much they have had to spend on working solutions.

Right!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2019 at 10:00 AM, bourne said:

I just received my lens cap from Match Technical.... it is fabulous.  Why couldn't Leica design one like it!?  I highly recommend it.

Bourne- Is the MT lens cap a hard/soft rubber material? Is it a comparable size to the stock Leica lens cap?  I'm not finding any info on to at the MT website.

• 2 months later...
On 9/20/2019 at 10:44 AM, Matsaly said:

The compression fit lens cap is a piss poor design. Since Leica hasn't changed/modified this substandard design in many years I see no reason to expect a revision soon.

Best to use 3rd party products. 

I haven't tried this product but it may be useful to some users.

Disclosure-No affiliation with Leica store Miami nor Match technical.

https://leicastoremiami.com/products/lens-cap-lc-sr-01-for-leica-q-and-q2-by-match-technical?variant=29806746206252

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I am disgusted that I should be paying to replace this cap which anyone could see is a stupid design.  They should be sending this lens cap FREE to anyone who bought a Q2.  Charging me another 50 bucks for a piece of cheap “proprietary” rubber is also offensive.   Glad it works for you, but unless Leica replaces it for free I am not going to bother paying for another lens cap.

12 minutes ago, photoshack said:

I am disgusted that I should be paying to replace this cap which anyone could see is a stupid design.  They should be sending this lens cap FREE to anyone who bought a Q2.  Charging me another 50 bucks for a piece of cheap “proprietary” rubber is also offensive.   Glad it works for you, but unless Leica replaces it for free I am not going to bother paying for another lens cap.

We all acknowledge it’s a bad design. I also think it’s unnecessary. I have a high quality UV filter on the front on the lens. My cap is still in the box and has never been on the camera. Not once. I learned from my Q experience to not use it. The hood does a fantastic job of protecting the front on the lens. The camera is always in my bag or over my shoulder. Free the cap! Don’t use it. 😁

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

We all acknowledge it’s a bad design.

Call me Mr Contrarian!   I think the design is just fine.

It's fine in that it works well for my use case.   I carry the camera in a bag.   When in the bag the lens cap is mounted.  When I remove the camera from the bag I also remove the lens cap and keep it in the bag.   The camera is out of the bag because I'm using it; a lens cap would just get in the way.

• Like 3

Strangely enough, I have had no trouble with the lens cap for my Q2 falling off.  Same thing with the press on lens cap for my 50 mm f/2.4 Summarit #11680.  The lens cap for my 35 Summicron that came with my Safari M-P 240 falls off if I look at it. 

Another lens cap option for the Q2 is this, although it will require removing the lens hood:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/806922-REG/Sensei_lcm49_49mm_Screw_In_Metal_Lens.html  I got one to go with my Q2 just to have another lens cap option.  I also have one for my 35 Summicron, too. 

• Thanks 1