Q2 Lens Cap

bourne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, marchyman said:

Call me Mr Contrarian!   I think the design is just fine.

It's fine in that it works well for my use case.   I carry the camera in a bag.   When in the bag the lens cap is mounted.  When I remove the camera from the bag I also remove the lens cap and keep it in the bag.   The camera is out of the bag because I'm using it; a lens cap would just get in the way.

I would never call you contrarian, we just have differing views. Glad your solution works. Mine works for me.

I made my comment after years of hearing frustrations by some users. I literally never even think about this topic until I see another rant by a new user. Certainly not a big frustration for me. 

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Leica Guy:

When I remove the camera from the bag I also remove the lens cap and keep it in the bag.

I do the same but keep it - against all recommendations - in my pocket but it still is rather annoying if the hood falls of by it self.
I find it still surprising thet Leica is not able to make a lens hood who fit right sand nor to tight (as in the beginning of the Q series) not to sloppy (as now).
In lack of another solution i sticked some gaffer tape patches inside the hood, i agree that is a kind of redneck solution, but it works.

Chris

• Like 1

Now that I think about it - with a UV filter and the lens hood (the way my Q2 is set up), the lens cap is sort of redundant.  Particularly if you carry the camera in some sort of camera bag.

I am disgusted that I should be paying to replace this cap which anyone could see is a stupid design.  They should be sending this lens cap FREE to anyone who bought a Q2.  Charging me another 50 bucks for a piece of cheap “proprietary” rubber is also offensive.

Well...  One would think that given the camera's price of $4995 USD, they could have come up with a better design.  It is what it is, though.  There's no benefit in getting bent out of shape over it.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 3

In terms of pricing injustice, the $50 rubber lens cap doesn't hold a candle to the $250 made in China by wage slaves that are paid .20 an hour Q2 battery that Leica probably pays $7 each for.  The term "price gouging elevated to high art" comes to mind...

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 7:10 AM, Leica Guy said:

We all acknowledge it’s a bad design. I also think it’s unnecessary. I have a high quality UV filter on the front on the lens. My cap is still in the box and has never been on the camera. Not once. I learned from my Q experience to not use it. The hood does a fantastic job of protecting the front on the lens. The camera is always in my bag or over my shoulder. Free the cap! Don’t use it. 😁

I wound up buying this which turns out is cheap, functional and better than the metal cap IMO for under $8.  https://amzn.to/2Fjpxzp But it does bother me that an original component that came with the camera is lost forever (despite my great care in trying not to lose it.)  I guess if I had read that everyone who owns one thinks they suck I would have stowed it in the box in favor of something like this flexible cap.

To those who use the Leica Q or Q2 lens cap but are not experiencing any problems, wait for it.

To those who use bits of gaffer's tape on the inner rim of the cap, as I've tried, it works for a while and then needs to be done again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stuny said:

To those who use the Leica Q or Q2 lens cap but are not experiencing any problems, wait for it.

To those who use its of gaffer's tape on the inner rim of the cap, as I've tried, it works for a while and then needs to be done again.

I guess it will be the $7.50 OpTech neoprene thumbless lens mitten for me.  🙄

Why, Leica?  Why??  All we ever did was love you!  Why would you do this to us?

A follow up to my original post. As previously stated I bought the Match technical lens cap for my wife to use on her Q2.

She enjoys the convenience of having the lens cap tethered to her Q2 for easy on/off use. The "tether cord" (red string) is detachable for those that prefer not to use it.

I decided to try a Kurvd Universal lens cap and find that it works quite well on my Q-P. (It also fits the slightly wider Q2 lens). The Kurvd is a more pliant soft rubber lens cap whereas the MT is a sturdier heavier gauge material. I find it easy to compress the Kurvd lens cap and stuff it in my  pocket while out in the field. 

One "advantage" of the Kurvd is that it is longer and covers more of the lens barrel thus offering more protection against rain, dust, scratches, etc.

I can't say I have a preference for one over the other. They both perform as intended and serve to add a modicum of protection when my camera is not in active use. 

https://kuvrdcamera.com/pages/ulc

Hope these low res photos help illustrate the relative differnces.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

A close up of the Kurvd. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

My vote is for Match Technical rubber cap. The red "tether" cord seemed to be a gimmick until I started using it. Now this cap is my favorite. The material seems to be quite good and can absorb some shocks. 

This cap came for "free" with my Q2. I am not sure if I would have bought it for the price it sells for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bullmoon said:

I was using the OP/TECH, but the Match Technical is so much nicer - absolutely fantastic - great protection, perfect fit, and that cord is great - never worrying about which pocket I put in.  A must have accessory.

I have the Op Tech which is adequate butis somewhat of a pain to put on the lens. 

I ordered the PolarPro lens cap yesterday; it looked similar to the Match Technical cap but was half the price ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1470869-REG/polarpro_dfndr_67_72_67_72mm_defender_lens_cover.html ). 

When it arrives, I will see how it works out and will report back.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

I received the PolarPro 62-72mm size lens cap and it is too big.  My concern is that the 55-62mm size will be too small.  It's unfortunate that PolaPro does not make a 65mm size because these are high quality lens caps at a reasonable price. 

So now I'm teetering on the edge of spring for the $50 Match Technical Q2 cap.  Whatever - it's only money, right? 🙄

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1