X1D II and S(007)

John McMaster

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know several of you have both systems, albeit with original X1D.  I am very happy with my S(007) but sometimes need a smaller/lighter kit.  I have a large M system but I do not think that they print as well in the A3 and larger sizes (except CCD Monochrom).  So I am looking at the X1D II, possibly with M lenses to start, not much bigger or heavier than M bodies....  Also got Leica R lenses and some Mamiya 645, although I know of the ES limitations.

I have downloaded the 4 shots Hasselblad have on their site, but in LR I am not blown away by the quality.  Does not seem to have the malleability or detail of S, and the lenses use a lot of software correction.

I know Matt has not bonded with his X1D, this is important to me because I tried Nikon D800E when it came out and the same with Fuji X-T1 but sold both within a month.  Didn't like interface, colours or handling...

Do the files need Hasselblad software processing first?  I know on GetDPI that many people love their X1Ds....

john

This doesn’t answer your question, but could be that the SL2, especially if it has IBIS, better sensor/colors, etc, in a more svelte body, might better handle your M (and even S) lenses.  I plan to test both the X1Dii and SL2 (demo or rent) before making a decision.  IBIS in the SL2 could be hard to resist if all else appeals.

I was pleased with the files and prints from both the S006 and X1D when I tested each some time ago, but neither provided an ideal complement to my M system for various reasons. The S007 might have sufficed, but I was turned off by the lens AF fiasco, and then the X1D came along in a smaller package.  It just wasn’t quite ready for prime time IMO, although FW fixes helped.  If the S3 drives S007 to ridiculous prices, I suppose that might be tempting with just a used lens or two with new parts.  But I’ll first consider the SL2 and X1Dii and make some prints, which is the only way for me to judge.

Jeff

The S3 is certainly in view, wait on price though.  I have most S lenses (not got 30mm or 100mm) and have the extra battery pack on both S(007) and S2-P which helps handling but makes them bigger and heavier.  I was always a medium format film user, preferring the tonality over 35mm.  The Hasselblad will be cheaper than an M10-P!

john

I have both the X1D and the SL, which I use regularly with M primes

I find both systems to be great and quite complementary.

Look forward to the SL2 and will decide then whether to upgrade. I have already upgraded the X1D (though still waiting for my copy).

I load files directly in LR for the X1D, but have used Phocus on and off. Both give very good results

I don't have the S so cannot possibly comment on it

• 4 weeks later...

On 8/25/2019 at 3:00 AM, Fedro said:

I have both the X1D and the SL, which I use regularly with M primes

I find both systems to be great and quite complementary.

Look forward to the SL2 and will decide then whether to upgrade. I have already upgraded the X1D (though still waiting for my copy).

I load files directly in LR for the X1D, but have used Phocus on and off. Both give very good results

I don't have the S so cannot possibly comment on it

What. XCD. Lenses do you have mate?

I’m a happy X1D and X1D II user, with the 21/30/45/65/80/90 kit.  I’m awaiting an S 007 and already got a 70 CS for it.

The colors out of X1D beat everything but Leica and even then they are special.  No question about it.  I’ve recently read they load a gigabyte of color calibration maps to achieve it — hence the startup time of 10 seconds on the X1D and 5 seconds on II.  It’s all worth it, nothing quite like it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

49 minutes ago, setuporg said:

I’m a happy X1D and X1D II user, with the 21/30/45/65/80/90 kit.  I’m awaiting an S 007 and already got a 70 CS for it.

The colors out of X1D beat everything but Leica and even then they are special.  No question about it.  I’ve recently read they load a gigabyte of color calibration maps to achieve it — hence the startup time of 10 seconds on the X1D and 5 seconds on II.  It’s all worth it, nothing quite like it.

How do you like the 80mm sir. I've hopefully got one coming before the vegitairian festival

47 minutes ago, NW67 said:

How do you like the 80mm sir. I've hopefully got one coming before the vegitairian festival

Absolutely amazing!  And I started carrying it around without reservation only after I got the 65mm, which is heavy too.  And of course the S lenses nw seem normal weight compared to the XCD 65mm and 80mm.   In fact even the Pentax 24-70mm FF zoom feels like one of them, with the 82mm filter even. 

Edited by setuporg

5 hours ago, NW67 said:

What. XCD. Lenses do you have mate?

I have used pretty much all of them, if you need a walk around lens with good bokeh, I vouch what others said on the hash forum, go for the 65. The 80 is special, but not a walk around lens

• Like 1

1 hour ago, setuporg said:

IIRC, it was in the Ming Thein's review of the X1D.

Thanks. I found it. It's in Ming's response to a comment beneath his review. First time I heard about this. Sounds like a rather inefficient way to do a good thing...

There’s definitely something in the color – that’s because every single MF Hasselblad sensor is individually calibrated to an absolute standard, which as far as we are aware is something only we do for mainstream cameras. (Incidentally, it’s also the reason the camera can’t start faster: it’s loading a vast calibration dataset to the ram buffer specific to that camera that must be applied to every image). I too have a D850, but it only sees use for some very specific applications…

https://blog.mingthein.com/2018/01/31/long-term-review-the-hasselblad-x1d/

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/19/2019 at 12:23 PM, setuporg said:

Hi, when you say 'the colors out of X1D beat everything...', are you referring to the jpg preview in the LCD after photo-taking, or after loading into into a post-processing software on the computer? If it's the latter, are you using Phocus or LR or PS, and which color profile do you need to apply (e.g. camera standard, embedded...etc) to get the 'Hasselblad Colors' that they termed 'Hasselblad Natural Colour Solution'? 

I download the RAW files on the official website and loaded them into LR, the colors are a lot less vibrant than Leica files, very bleak and cool. Is it supposed to look like that (Scandinavian heritage) or am I missing something in post-production?