If TL11-23mm is just not wide enough......

3 hours ago, ramarren said:

There are no useful options for shorter focal lengths available at this time as far as I'm aware. If you must have a wider field of view, you need a larger format camera. 

How, do you think the Olympus (M4/3) 8mm Fisheye on an E-M1would compare with the 11-23mm on a CL in terms of FoV?

Edited by Dave in Wales

Well, it'll be a curvilinear rendering rather than a rectilinear one, which isn't really comparable to my eye. Can't say otherwise. Technically, an 8mm rectilinear lens on m43 is about equal FoV to a 16mm lens on FF, and the Voigtlander 10mm lens on APS-C is about equal to a 15mm lens on FF, so I don't think the actual FoV in rectilinear terms poses much difference. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

There's nothing wider than the CV 10mm in a rectilinear lens. Samyang make fisheye lenses for APSC in various mounts like Canon and Nikon so you could possibly mount one with an adapter but you would need to check the flange distance (highly technical) to ensure it doesn't protrude too far. There are some posts on this forum, possibly in the FAQ and elsewhere. The M43 lens will not cover the whole sensor so I'm not seeing that you gain much. 

For comparison, the CV 10mm on the CL will give you about the same as 7.5mm on M43 - about 112/113 degrees FoV. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dippy said:

There's nothing wider than the CV 10mm in a rectilinear lens. Samyang make fisheye lenses for APSC in various mounts like Canon and Nikon so you could possibly mount one with an adapter but you would need to check the flange distance (highly technical) to ensure it doesn't protrude too far. There are some posts on this forum, possibly in the FAQ and elsewhere. The M43 lens will not cover the whole sensor so I'm not seeing that you gain much. 

For comparison, the CV 10mm on the CL will give you about the same as 7.5mm on M43 - about 112/113 degrees FoV. 

Thanks both, confirmed my thinking.

I've concluded that it has to be a V10 on an FF body.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, Dave in Wales said:

Thanks both, confirmed my thinking.

I've concluded that it has to be a V10 on an FF body.

The full and glorious 130 degree of view enabled by the CV 10mm!! . I've just recently bought myself an A7r ii body and adapter just to be able to mount that lens. Lots of fun but I've only managed a couple of decent pictures so far and it clearly does take some getting used to. 

21 minutes ago, Dippy said:

The full and glorious 130 degree of view enabled by the CV 10mm!! . I've just recently bought myself an A7r ii body and adapter just to be able to mount that lens. Lots of fun but I've only managed a couple of decent pictures so far and it clearly does take some getting used to. 

Mmmmmm..green, green, green with envy that is.

Something a little cheaper than A7r ii body perhaps...mmmm.

Might I ask which adapter you use?

I got it used on eBay for just over £750 but I had to watch and wait for two or three weeks.  I also got a used Voigtlander VM to FE adapter with close focus for just over £100. So all in all not too bad. I'm not sure that it's a serious obsession - just something I want to try out and didn't want to shell out too much money for the experiment. 

• Like 1

The 10mm on FF is a bit wider FoV then I'm comfortable with. I used it on the M-D before I sold the M-D but wan't too thrilled to do that. Fitted to the CL and cropped square, it does the perfect job for me. 

Of course, I'll try it on the Hasselblad 907x when that arrives, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be all that appealing for my eye. :D 

• Like 2