I Love my M 262

kivis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Bought my M262 in October 2016 and been very happy with it. I didn't need the video recording facility as on my mother cameras which have it a X-Vario and a V-Lux 3 I have hardly ever used it. Just not into moving images. Though with hindsight it might have been better to have bough the  M240  for the live view facility to be able to use lenses wider than 28mm. That was something I didn't think of!

Originally buying the 262 with a 35mm Summicron and 75mm Summarit, after a year I felt like getting a wider lens and 24mm seemed to offer a significant difference to the 35mm.

But then realised I couldn't unless I bought an external  which would have added to the awkwardness of using the camera and significant extra cost thus I ended up buying a 28mm Elmarit which I tend to use quite a bit now. 

As a result I have been toying with the idea of buying  a new ME240 as a second body which now seems significantly less than what I paid for the M262!  . 

John

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ray Vonn said:

I love that lens you've got with it too.  Do you see any difference in the images between an M9/M-E and a M262?

I have both. M262 pluses, among others, include better image quality performance in the ISO 1600-3200 range. Way, WAY better battery performance. More accurate view/rangefinder image as the M9 frame lines are the old M6 style, based on image captured at shortest distance so the image actually captured is always much more vs. the M262 finder lines that are much more accurate at normal distances. Much smoother/nicer/more quiet shutter release. Way better back LCD/image review experience.

The M262 brought the Leica M into the more current/modern world in terms of user experience while retaining the singularity of still image capture only. No live view/movie cr@p modes I would never use.

John, regarding that 24mm lens, and assuming you're talking the f3.8 Elmar, that lens is probably the sharpest I own with a perfect angle of view for how I shoot. Here's three from two days ago. The plastic 24mm finder with the locking foot is easy to use. I often just leave it plugged into the camera no matter what lens I am using, unless I go to something even wider.

Edited by Gregm61
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/13/2019 at 10:17 AM, Gregm61 said:

John, regarding that 24mm lens, and assuming you're talking the f3.8 Elmar, that lens is probably the sharpest I own with a perfect angle of view for how I shoot. Here's three from two days ago. The plastic 24mm finder with the locking foot is easy to use. I often just leave it plugged into the camera no matter what lens I am using, unless I go to something even wider.

Yes that is the lens.

You mean it comes with a finder?!

I just presumed that after buying the lens one had to pay around £600 for the bright line finder on top of the cost of the lens! That really put me off.

I  could never understand why these cost so much - when for instance the Monovid monocular which must be much more complex piece of kit costs around 45% less! 

If I had known it had come with a plastic finder I would have bought the lens! I have bought most of my M kit from Leica Manchester and they don't mention a viewfinder being supplied - I never thought to ask anyone. 

Hence I thought getting an ME240 would solve the viewfinder issue if I decided to buy the 24mm at a later date.

Anyway thanks for the info.

John

I never found it necessary to have a mounted finder. The fov fills the rangefinder window and that's it! It is an excellent lens for wide-angle photography and well priced.

Edited by microview

On 7/12/2019 at 9:21 PM, Ray Vonn said:

I love that lens you've got with it too.  Do you see any difference in the images between an M9/M-E and a M262?

Yes. But I can't say better or worse. The M9 seemed to be better for high contrast while the M 262 is creamier. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 5:17 AM, Gregm61 said:

I have both. M262 pluses, among others, include better image quality performance in the ISO 1600-3200 range. Way, WAY better battery performance. More accurate view/rangefinder image as the M9 frame lines are the old M6 style, based on image captured at shortest distance so the image actually captured is always much more vs. the M262 finder lines that are much more accurate at normal distances. Much smoother/nicer/more quiet shutter release. Way better back LCD/image review experience.

The M262 brought the Leica M into the more current/modern world in terms of user experience while retaining the singularity of still image capture only. No live view/movie cr@p modes I would never use.

Agree with all of the above. My next purchase will be the 24mm f3.8 Elmar.

• 1 year later...

M(typ 262), Summarit-M 2.5/35mm

Port Ariane

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 11:17 AM, Gregm61 said:

Totally agree. M9 feels like a firs trial/experiment of Leica to dip the toe into the digital FF era, and the 240/262 the first really usable modern Leica FF camera. I would not mind if I was given a M10R, but for the price of a digital rangefinder you can not beat the 240/262 in terms of great camera for the money.

Somethings is also better with the 240/262, and like you I also appreciate the great battery life. The Achilles heel of the digital world is a way less of a problem with the 240/262 than with any other Leica camera. I also sometimes (especially in the dark when you do not want to destroy you night vision) appreciate the red frame lines in the finder. I wish Leica had continued to support the choice between the red and white fram lines on the M10 series, and hope it returns on future M cameras.

Hello Martinot,

I regret to let you know that the "new feature" present on M240 like the red frames lines choice is not present on M262.

However, on M262 the choice remains for self-timer of 2s or 12s (this last one only obtainable on M-D 262 ).

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

Hello Martinot,

I regret to let you know that the "new feature" present on M240 like the red frames lines choice is not present on M262.

However, on M262 the choice remains for self-timer of 2s or 12s (this last one only obtainable on M-D 262 ).

Ok, thanks for the update/correction. Did not know that (assumed all cameras in this generation had the red frame line option).

I would anyway not buy a version of a digital camera without the live view option (like the 262). I have the M-E version today which I love with the red frame lines and 2GB buffer, and the any other versions in the 240/262 generation I (personally) would consider buying is the the M-P version, or the Monochrome one (so Leica with a pure B&W camera).

Edited by martinot

Regarding frame lines,the white frame lines are crystal clear in the dark,i know as i do lots of night photography.

They are not destroying my night vision or whatever nonsense people might suggest.

On 10/10/2020 at 12:02 AM, steve 1959 said:

Regarding frame lines,the white frame lines are crystal clear in the dark,i know as i do lots of night photography.

They are not destroying my night vision or whatever nonsense people might suggest.

I am perhaps a little older than you, and my eyes not as perfect any longer. When I switch from white to red frame lines on my camera, I feel I get less disturbed by them in dark situations. Absolutely no nonsense I can assure you. Not for me at least.

• Like 1

Off-topic now........50mm and no "finder" :P

Here's one of my son taken with 50 Summilux Asph.  Preferring to use my larger screen, he was processing photos he made on a day-off trip with his camera yesterday. He loves his M262 but wishes it was a bit better with high ISO.  I sneaked this exposure with my M262     ISO1600   f1.4   1/90th.     David

• Like 1

It was my First M and Ì don’t regret it. I have encountered the freeze bug in the past but now that I know how it can occur I do my best to avoid it. Like many owner of the Typ 262 I didn’t wan’t video capabilities, I wanted a simple camera with short menues.

My first lens was the SUMMILUX-M 50MM F/1.4 ASPH. I was a bit worried about the focus so I bought the 1.4 Magnifier and now that I can focus without, I use it with my new baby the APO-SUMMICRON-M 90MM F/2 ASPH. To be honest I was worried not to have focus peaking or EVF for wide open shots but in the end, by taking my time I can get pretty good without and will get better over time.

Overall I don’t regret it at all.

• Like 1