Smallest Leica M 50mm f/2 lens - recommendations.

Tinchohs

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/6/2019 at 10:21 PM, lct said:

Besides collapsible lenses, the smallest 50/2 is the Summicron-M 50/2 v4 AFAIK. Code numbers 11819 (black) and 11825 (chrome). 11819 below (left) compared to the current Summicron.

Bearing in mind the OP says he wants a Leica 50mm f/2 lens there seems little point in suggesting anything else, so I think Ict has hit the nail on the head.

Once collaspsable lenses are extended for use they are not that small compared to rigid lenses, so I would suggest the obvious answer would be the series iv from 1979 onwards.  The earlier one, without the built in hood is smaller but you then have the additional bulk of a separate hood to carry (although it can be reversed).  The later one, on the other hand, has the hood built in, but is slightly larger.  I have the earlier one with separate hood, which I bought new with my M6 in1995, and have never felt it needed to be smaller and am perfectly happy with the results.

With older lenses such as the Summitar one can have issues with fitting filters needing either adapters or filters that are unique to that lens or having a  mix of E39 or A42 filters, as well as akward lens hoods.  Whilst these older lenses are nice to have and use occasionally I think the newer ones are more user friendly.

Susie

• Like 1

If F:3.5 is adequate, the Cosina made Voigtlander  Heliar is superb at least in my SM version. Filters are awkward, but it is small light and collapsible.  Superb rendition and corner to corner sharpness.  Noticeably better than the comparable present or past Leica 50mm collectables (to include both Summitar and Summicron that I have).  Erwin Puts agrees in his reviews.   Regards, Ron

Edited by Ronazle

• 4 years later...

I recently picked up an Elmar collapsible in such a great condition and paid around $700. It's not as fast as a summicron but F2.8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

is plenty fast for EDC

• Like 3