Smallest Leica M 50mm f/2 lens - recommendations.

Tinchohs

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone. I'm looking to buy a 50mm f2 Leica M lens. I'm not interested in new, neither on the APO version. I want a very compact lens to go with my Leica M-D and potentially a Monochrome. Any recommendations or advice? I assume that although older, it should be able to resolve the 24 megapixel sensor images. Is that a fair assumptions? Thanks so much. 

My modest suggestion is the 50mm Summitar if you can find a post-war coated  version with a round diaphragm. Leitz mixed parts for a while so that the combination can be difficult to find.

Besides collapsible lenses, the smallest 50/2 is the Summicron-M 50/2 v4 AFAIK. Code numbers 11819 (black) and 11825 (chrome). 11819 below (left) compared to the current Summicron.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve used Summicrons since 1969, and they’re a good combination of size and performance; but now I use a Summarit 2.5 on my M10, as I like its handling and size better, and with the M10 ISO I don’t need f2.0. It also handles just like the 35 f2.5 Summarit, which is an excellent lens.

I like the 2.5 versions better than the newer 2.4 for the slightly smaller size and 39mm filter size.

I also have the collapsible Summicron, Summitar, and both 2.8 Elmarit versions, and all are capable, but I prefer the handling of the Summarit.

• Like 2

you can't get much more compact than a collapsible elmar. My example is a red scale one and I think it is pretty good:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

If you can go a bit wider the 40mm or 35mm Summicrons are smaller than the 50’s

Smaller still, but probably best not to go there. 😆

50mm f2 Elcan 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Although it's not an f/2, I cast my vote for 1994-2007 50mm f/2.8 Elmar-M collapsible.  I prefer small lenses and this pairs with my M-D very well and measures 21.6mm collapsed and 37.6mm open.  This does not include the hood, but it is also diminutive.  Although, I will mention that with the hood on and lens extended, it is similar to a Summicron-M in length.

I also recently acquired a 40mm Summicron-C which I'm fond of as well - even smaller - 23.5mm w/out hood.  Both of these options are also economical to buy if money is a consideration.

If you want a more contemporary look with modern coatings, you can't go wrong with a Summarit-M as mentioned by TomB_tx.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, analog-digital said:

Collapsible and Digital M = be carefully with the sensor!

An O-ring from the hardware store fitted to the lens tube will prevent the collapsible lenses from retracting far enough to cause damage, although remember to mount and unmount in the extended position. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 7/7/2019 at 11:24 AM, mdemeyer said:

An O-ring from the hardware store fitted to the lens tube will prevent the collapsible lenses from retracting far enough to cause damage, although remember to mount and unmount in the extended position. 

I simply wrap a lose elastic band around my Elmar when mounted on M240. Even without that it actually doesn’t hit anything. But it is sort of reminder to extend before dismounting. Don’t want to scratch inside. 

I sold v4 because I was not confident in it plastick aperture part. And I sold 50-M 2.8 because it feels fragile.

None of them compact with hood. And while 2.8 doesn't really needs it, v4 has bad flare.

I'm ok with 50 1.5 Jupiter 3 on M9 sensor at f1.5. It is small lens. 

Summarit-m 50 2.5 is small and modern lens....

50 2.8 Elmar M is without doubt the best small 50 mm.  The smallest lightest is 3.5 Red Scale which is very flat,  and of decent quality,  but not up to Elmar M.  The black version weighs less.  

The best one is 50 APO followed by current Summilux.  Noct 50 is just too big.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 3:13 AM, Pyrogallol said:

Small and very very rare (40 Elmarit)

...and not a particularly good optic, according to Erwin Puts. 

The CV 2,5/50 is quite small and quite capable, if you can afford to lose 2/3rds of a stop. 

Edited by james.liam

By and large, all 50 mm Summicrons are about the same size. Even the collapsible version is as large once extended. I have both the current version and my  original “Ridgid”  both are fine but the new one seems to give me better results.