M5 Anti-Panda

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Recently acquired a mint/near mint late serial number black M5  Unfortunately, previous owner had installed M6 optics and framelines... sent it off to DAG for full CLA, calibration for modern batteries, installation of MP optics WITH M5 framelines, so the 50mm framelines still have the metering spot indicator marks and the RF patch still has the rounded sides.

While there, I had him convert to an "anti-panda", installing chrome shutter speed dial, film advance, rewind lever, self timer, frame selector, and rewind on the bottom.

Don did a superb job!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by mdg1371
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I am a fickle Leica user.  Somedays the M5 is my favorite and other days the M2 or M4.  And then somedays I think digital is the way to go.  I currently have a black M5 which I purchased from Sherry and a black MP240.  I am going around the world later this year and somedays I think film and other days I think digital.  However, today I am thinking that is a great looking M5!

There are just too many choices for gear.  I just purchased a X100F as a backup for the MP240 and I really enjoy the Fuji.  We are moving and I just found a Yashica T4 which I remember buying for my wife in the early 1990's.  I remember it was considered a great point and shoot because of the Zeiss Tessar 35f3.5 lens.  I popped a battery into it and it appears to be working.  Now the guys over on rangefinder forum say don't sell it and it is worth some money.  Who knew?

Anyway, I love the look of your M5 and maybe leave the MP240 at home and use the M5!

Edited by ktmrider2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, halo said:

You dont have to be a great technician to change some outer parts of a camera body.

No, but you do to replace the rangefinder optics with the current MP ones, while still preserving the unique M5 frame lines.

• Like 3