The Q is almost 1-stop brighter than the Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's close to 0.79 of a stop, the difference is significant.

I've noticed it in other testing, but this is a more controlled comparison

Fixed settings - 1/500th, F4, ISO 6400

Using artificial lighting to rule out external light variants

Q1

Q1 1/500 ISO 6400 F4 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Q2

Q2 1/500 ISO 6400 F4 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Then if I bring down the Q1 by exactly 1-stop

Q2 1/500 ISO 6400 F4 - 1EV by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Edited by dancook

6 minutes ago, frame-it said:

and what could be the reason for this fairly extreme difference?

Perhaps it's fixed this way to make the ISO handling look better/comparable for side-by-side comparison, but it's not like-for-like when the Q has a 0.79 of a stop advantage. (tweaked histogram to match)

Edited by dancook

2 minutes ago, dancook said:

Perhaps it makes the ISO handling look better/comparable for side-by-side comparison, but it's not like-for-like when the Q has a 0.79 of a stop advantage. (tweaked histogram to match)

less visible banding on the ISO25000 shots with the q2 in your other post.

perhaps RAWdigger would give a accurate idea of whats happening

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, frame-it said:

less visible banding on the ISO25000 shots with the q2 in your other post.

perhaps RAWdigger would give a accurate idea of whats happening

But we should probably compare Q at 16000 ISO versus Q2 at 25000 ISO :) (guessing at comparable figures based on exposure difference)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chaemono said:

We’ll see when the sensor is compared to the SL, α7R III, and Z7 all with the same lens. I think your conclusion is wrong. 

The conclusion that Leica rigged it? :) perhaps a little cynical of me

Edited by dancook

There have been discussions elsewhere about similar behaviour in the M10. The most favourable explanation I have seen is that, because digital sensors are vulnerable to blown highlights but amenable to recovering shadows, Leica has implemented a strategy of setting its metering to under expose. I have no idea if this is true or not!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

An explanatin that I remember is the following: Necessary iSO settings to produce a defined brightness are measured on the sensor level, But depending a camera 2 diferent sensors might have different layers of additional glass on top ofthe sensor that take away a bit of light. That is why pictures taken with same settings and resulting same brightness might require different ISO settings (or aperture or shutter speed).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This topic has been done to death in many threads on this forum. 

Digital ISO is basically whatever the camera designer says it is The ISO norm allows at least three definitions which all render different results and are moving targets. The only thing to do is determine the value for each camera type or trust the internal exposure meter. Not too different from film, really. The film speed is related to the development. 

The point is that the sensor output is a constant determined by the amount of light and sensor architecture (for most of the time and cases) and the so-called ISO is the way the camera software handles  the signal. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Just a thought, @dancook - and I have never used a Q - can you set the exposure from the histogram in the EVF? If you use this, and set it identically in Q and Q2, rather than the simple exposure over/under scale, do you get similarly exposed images? 

When i took my next test images, see the colour comparison thread

I did under expose the Q1 by 2/3rds a stop to get a more similar exposure - which led to ISO 5000 vs ISO 8000

Edited by dancook
  • Like 1