The Q is almost 1-stop brighter than the Q2

Just now, Chaemono said:

It would be interesting to know which camera produced the noisier image, the Q at ISO 5000 or the Q2 at ISO 8000.

Looks similar to me

Q1 Crop by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Q2 Crop by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Q1 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Q2 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

5 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

So, the Q2 has similar low light performance as the Q. 

Yes, however from what I have seen the Q has shadow banding where the Q2 does not - look under shelf

Q2 - no banding by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Q1 - banding by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Edited by dancook
  • Thanks 2

Which is why it would be better to do these comparisons between the SL2 (Q2) sensor and the SL1 (Q1) sensor in scenes with extreme Highlights and very dark Shadows. The right ISO is the one that protects Highlights and allows for best Shadow recovery at the same time. ISO 5000 on the Q1 and ISO 8000 on the Q2 might not to be the right values for ‘equal’ exposure on each camera for the same scene after all. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Which is why it would be better to do these comparisons between the SL2 (Q2) sensor and the SL1 (Q1) sensor in scenes with extreme Highlights and very dark Shadows. The right ISO is the one that protects Highlights and allows for best Shadow recovery at the same time. ISO 5000 on the Q1 and ISO 8000 on the Q2 might not to be the right values for ‘equal’ exposure on each camera for the same scene after all. 

:D  Ok well as long as I'm personally happy with any niggles I thought I might have had, which I am... I shall stop trying to blunder my way through technical comparisons

Edited by dancook
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, and don’t spoil it for those full of anticipation that the S1R/SL2 sensor will perform better in low light than the SL. BTW, the S1R AF could probably get that high school fashion show job done which I believe was the reason you switched to the α9. And it takes SL lenses. 😀

12 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Yes, and don’t spoil it for those full of anticipation that the S1R/SL2 sensor will perform better in low light than the SL. BTW, the S1R AF could probably get that high school fashion show job done which I believe was the reason you switched to the α9. And it takes SL lenses. 😀

I delivered 800 shots in a 90 minute show

af and buffer we’re both a huge consideration :)

@Dan Cook -- if you have a Q2, get in touch with Bill Claff at photonstophotos.com and see if he would like to have controlled test data from which he can plot out the dynamic range and noise floor of the new sensor.  He needs a bunch of files, and you have to follow his instructions exactly, but it's not hard, and his methodology has been used forjust about everything on the market.  I would love to see that data available.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

@Dan Cook -- if you have a Q2, get in touch with Bill Claff at photonstophotos.com and see if he would like to have controlled test data from which he can plot out the dynamic range and noise floor of the new sensor.  He needs a bunch of files, and you have to follow his instructions exactly, but it's not hard, and his methodology has been used forjust about everything on the market.  I would love to see that data available.

If I need a tripod.. I seem to have lost my quick release plate :D

I've done it for him with several models.  I believe it requires using your laptop or computer display as a standard light source and shooting close to it.  I don't think I used a tripod, but you have to check his site where the instructions are posted.  I sent him an email, and he was delighted to get the data for cameras that were then not yet covered.

• Like 1

I’m not entirely sure I agree with what appears to be the “flexible” approach to ISO designation suggested above. ISO is a reference to an international standard after all. 

An EV rating gives a standardised measure of illumination, fixing for our purposes the relationship between ISO, aperture and shutter speed. Granted, the given ISO of a film or the base ISO of a sensor is variable, but I don’t accept that a camera maker can simply rescale the ISO setting to encourage under-exposure, or worse as a pap to those who see high ISO performance as the holy grail. 

I tend to set my ISO at base, and aperture for dof and not worry too much about shutter speed. Not sure if I should take more interest. Probably not - EV is permanently set to -2/3 on my M10-D. 

That’s fine. It doesn’t change an interesting issue. 

I’d be very interested to understand why Leica appears to have taken to re-writing what is a standard. In practical terms, when it was raised on the M10 thread, it didn’t  really matter to me as objective comparisons between sensor performance is like watching paint dry. Once I’ve purchased a camera, I try to make it work. If it does, fine. If not (Sony) it gets the flick. 

I’m not about to start using an incident light meter with my M10, or my SL - but I might be more than a little irritated if I found that the ISO setting was off ...

Edited by IkarusJohn