Do Leica digital users want WiFi browser access to their cameras back after latest FW updates disabled it? Please let us know.

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In their most recent FW updates on all Leica cameras that have WiFi access, Leica have decided to simplify the WLAN interface on these cameras and remove the previously available facility, to join an existing WLAN and view/download the JPEG contents of the card at full resolution, using a regular web browser, Firefox, Chrome, Safari etc. Apparently Leica feel that access via a smart phone (currently at low resolution) is good enough and all that people want. I think that Leica have got it wrong and the previous WLAN SL and CL Connect feature via a browser, was very useful feature, which worked perfectly every time. This is unlike the phone access via Leica Fotos App, which is buggy, unstable and generally a PITA, not least having to change phone WiFi networks every time you want to use it. 

I have had a long conversation this morning with Leica UK who are very sympathetic to this point of view and have asked me to post on the forum, to gather Leica digital users views, which we can then put to Leica, Wetzlar. If required, Leica UK would join us in asking for this web browser access via WiFi, to be reinstated. Leica UK said they were surprised with what Wetzlar had done in this case and could not think of a single other instance, where a previously available and satisfactory feature on a camera, was removed or as in the CL, disabled with an FW update. Leica UK agree that the smart phone only connection limitation, does not reflect well on Leica's reputation as a top quality image/professional equipment maker. 

Like many older folk, strangely enough, I use my smart phone principally for making phone calls, not for checking and posting images to social media. For those photos, the images taken with the smart phones are almost certainly good enough and you just don't need to connect your phone to a camera. Someone at Wetzlar seems to have got their priorities skewed. 

Wilson

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I tend to agree, although the whole Leica-Wifi enterprise has not yet been succesfull for me thus far, which is a shame in itself. This counts for my former M10 and my current SL, so I doubt that this was coincidental and my bad luck for both camera’s. Both connections you mention Wilson have been very unstable and time-consuming to establish. 

• Like 1

Yes, I want it.

Among other benefits, you can download from the camera and upload to LR CC without having to change wireless networks half way through the workflow.

I do want the phone app - I download photos direct to LR CC via my phone (though it is slow) and post them at the same time to FB/Instagram/email/Whatsapp etc. I'm 'only' 65😉.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

I enjoy the smartphone wi-fi when travelling with my M10 (and Pansonic) cameras.  (I wouldn't have anything on Instagram otherwise)

For connecting to a computer, if it allowed a sense of "tethered shooting" in the studio via Wifi, then I find that very useful. I never had any problem with having both Wi-Fi options available. Perhaps there needs to be a toggle with enables 'advanced wi-fi' if they want to have a simple choice as a default.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I should clarify, I am not suggesting at all that any changes be made to the iOS/Android phone connection facility and I wholly accept that there will be a significant number of people who use it for downloading/uploading photos. Even I have used my iPhone SE on occasion for the CL in place of a remote release but with the more stable CL app not Fotos. 

I am only suggesting that the previously available ability to connect to via WLAN to an external network for browser access to the SD cards' contents be reinstated. It would actually be nice if this could access the DNG's as well as the JPEG's. 

Wilson

I tend to pull out the card.  But my new(ish) MacBook Pro doesn’t have an SD card slot.  So I have to carry an adapter (not ideal).  I would like to be able to browse the card from my computer and download full sized DNG files over my home WiFi.  I tried to download a DNG to my phone using Fotos (I was going to email it) - no go.  After 20 minutes, the single photo hadn’t budged.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sadly recent correspondence with Leica leads me to the following conclusions:

1) They still do not recognise that the "join existing network" command on both the CL and SL menus is broken and does not work. iOS devices cannot read the QR code trying to use this method to allow Fotos App access. Only the "create network" works and is a total pain to use, as you have to ask your iOS device to switch networks to the Leica one. The SL and CL are joining the network (they can be found on a DHCP table) but their LAN IP address is not accessible, like it used to be on a browser. 

2) Even if and when they realise that there is a problem here (I have told them at least three times now), they apparently have no plans to either correct this situation or re-institute browser access, which would be the sensible option for "Join Existing Network". 

Blind leading the blind I am afraid. This is not the first time I have come across the NIH (Not Invented Here) attitude at Leica's soft/firmware departments. They seem to be incapable of either recognising their errors or correcting them in a timely manner, after these errors have been pointed out to them. The M240 GPS débacle was a classic example, where they broke something that was working reasonably well with a firmware update and then took nearly two years before they rectified their error with a corrected FW update. The SL and fill in flash control was another example, where I had a meeting in the first few weeks of SL availability to demonstrate the problem but it took months and a lot of reminders to get them to correct it. 

Wilson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...