Leica Q reassurance needed!

jaxon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for all the comments, I have over the past 10 years always gravitated towards fixed focal length cameras (RX1R, X100’s) and agree with many of these points that’s its liberating, no worrying about lenses - just grab and go. 

I have noticed with the Q every time I leave the house I take it with me, that wasn’t happening with the Fuji, for whatever reason, it just didn’t inspire me to use it daily in the same fashion.

I have the Fuji 16mm, 23mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.2

-John

I have been to Q back and forth since its realease

and i just acquired another most recently after a year of absence

that i realised the Q is something i cant live without...

i have been using camera for professional use as well as casual use, have had some system in the past, but the Q is just absolutely something u need when u leave the house

• Like 1

I would like to say that I have several older bodies, a Nikon D7000, with various lenses, as well as a Lumix M4/3 GX1, with several prime lenses, including the Leica 25mm.  Since I bought the Q, almost two years ago, I rarely used the two previous setups that much. I still keep all of the cameras and lenses in a dedicated Domke bag for each and occasionally draw upon them just for fun. For example, if I find that if I am traveling by car, or need a telephoto, I will grab the Nikon, but really those incidents are few and far between. If I travel by airplane, depending on the importance of the trip, I will take the Lumix kit.  I was in New York City over Christmas, a special trip I would say, so I took just the Q.  After hundreds of pictures, some in fading afternoon light, I was not disappointed. I also take only the Q on vacations that my wife and I take to Europe and have never really needed anything else. Yes, I still have the other systems, and will keep them as I just don't need a couple of hundred dollars that each would bring at sale.  But at the end of the day, I am totally satisfied with walking around with the Q in almost every situation.  I hope that this helps.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jaxon said:

I have the Fuji 16mm, 23mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.2

I'd sell your X-T3, 16 and 23. Those 2 lenses are redundant with the Q. Keep the 56 and get a X-T1. Along with your Q, I'd imagine that would satisfy 99% of your photographic needs. 

• Like 1

"The Q is a fantastic camera, but, IMHO, I do not think it is an ONLY camera, in that it has it's limitations, obviously with a fixed WA lens"

for me this is important, OK more steps forward and backward perhaps. No fuss, no decisions to make. The cropping one can do also afterwards. Macro setting is a bonus.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I understand the rationale behind the focal length of the Q, but in order for it to be a take everywhere camera for me, it would need to be at least 40mm, as were many popular fixed lens cameras during film days. My aesthetic preferences in photography have not changed merely because digital sensors have replaced the various films. However, if I were inclined toward 28mm, the Q would be almost impossible to resist.

i can honestly say that after 3 ½ years using the Q  i have gone hot and cold with it.  i loved - then i didn't- now i love it again.  it is the lens.  if you can see 28mmFOV then there is no comparison.  If you cannot-- then save your money and get something you can see with (35/40 or 50)

when i was out of love- it wasn't the focal length it was my post processing skills (or lack thereof) that caused it.

• Like 2

Fixed lens cameras are highly convenient, and it sounds like you've always enjoyed the convenience they provide, but at the end of the day you continue to switch lenses because a single fixed lens camera can't accommodate all your applications. As a journalist who started out shooting SLRs/DSLRs with 35mm 1.4 lenses that never came off the camera, I can understand that, since there really isn't anything in the fixed lens market that lives up to the precedent those larger packages set.

Specifically, I've carried two-camera setups where one camera is a 50 and the other is wide, and I frankly enjoyed the X-Pro2 with the 16 and the 14, respectively, more than I enjoy my Q. You rented the Q, so you don't need me to tell you what it's like in the hand, but as a former M owner, I can tell you that the Q doesn't live up to the M in terms of long-term fondling appeal, and even the M, I think, eventually just becomes another camera in your hand. But I have quirky tastes (for instance, I think the first generation of Sony A7 cameras are better ergonomically than the later generations).

I will say that I find the later generations of Fuji cameras (XPro2, X100F, to name the cameras I've used) to have significantly better ergonomics than the Q, and a more handsome build. Nonetheless, I no longer own those cameras, and I've kept the Q. I do a lot of available light shooting in difficult indoor conditions, and there is really nothing that can beat having a compact, stabilized f/1.7 lens with reliable autofocus on a full-frame sensor. Since the lens and sensor are both delightful optically, there's really no beating the Q for relatively discreet available light stills photography.

Perhaps as importantly, Qs are coming down in price. If you're willing to accept one with some cosmetic flaws, they are about as cheap as the RX1R IIs these days, in some instances cheaper. Between the better stills stabilization, the slightly faster lens, and the wider focal length, I find that even if I downsample the larger files from the BSI sensor in the A7RIII (comparable to RX1R II), I get slightly better results in available light from the Q.

Edited by Lonescapes

On 1/27/2019 at 12:56 AM, Mr.Q said:

I'd sell your X-T3, 16 and 23. Those 2 lenses are redundant with the Q. Keep the 56 and get a X-T1. Along with your Q, I'd imagine that would satisfy 99% of your photographic needs. 

I wanted to say the same but instead the x-t1 I recommend to buy a x-e3 or even an older x-e2. But xt-1 is also amazing!

I've owned the M9-P, M10, M10-P, CL, SL and X-Vario, and I feel the Q is the best digital Leica camera. Coincidentally, it happens to be the only Leica camera left in my bag. The perfect combination of modern features, simple operation, and exceptional results.