Buy another M9 today ?

Pingus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Happy owner of an M9 wondering about the value of purchasing another one. I'd like a back up body to minimize switching lenses, etc., but am wondering about the long term viability in terms of service and support. What are the chances of Leica still supporting this camera 5-10 year from now ? I'm not really interested in a used 240 and  the M10 is out of my league. Any advice would be welcome.  Thanks much 

Not strictly advice but 14 months ago I bought my first M9 to test the water. I quickly bought another 2 because the water was great. All 3 have new sensors with paperwork. If Leica stop supporting the M9 in the next 5 years and mine last after that I will not be disappointed. Nothing lasts forever.

• Like 2

I had m8 shortly after getting M-E. As backup. Sold it quick.

I'm not changing lenses, did it only once because one lens was too slow.

But I also use film M and DSLR.

IMO, it is better than two of the same.

Add Q or Monochrome, even CL will do if you need another digital Leica camera.

I did. Just added a chrome M9-P to my arsenal. I had a black one in the past. Initially I failed to notice it’s virtues and only kept it a month or two and traded in on an M-P (240) when they came out. Big mistake. I discovered I preferred CCD over CMOS. Oh, well, mistake corrected now😀.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would rather add an MM1 and if an M9, it would be an M9P. I’m so at rest with the sapphire glass on my MM1, it is a big difference in handling and awareness during streetphotography, packing in and out etc. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, otto.f said:

I would rather add an MM1 and if an M9, it would be an M9P. I’m so at rest with the sapphire glass on my MM1, it is a big difference in handling and awareness during streetphotography, packing in and out etc. 

Maybe I'm unlucky but I managed to scratch the the screens on both of my M8.2s.  Yes, they were sapphire.

I've also noticed that the plastic LCD covers on the M9 have different coatings.  The LCD on one of my M9s is considerably bluer and less reflective than the other one.

The OP seems to have be willing to spend for cash for a second M9 but not for an M240 or M10. An M9 with a new sensor can be had for a decent price and will serve for many years; not much can go wrong with the camera later if it is ok now.  I personally have both an M9 and M-P  in film days I carried an M3, 4, and 6: I prefer changing cameras rather than lenses!

As for the M9 screen: I only use it for menus, histogram and not much else. I have it In B&W mode in any case, same with the M-P.

Edited by Jean-Michel

13 hours ago, Photoskeptic said:

Wow, Jean-Michel, we must be of the same persuasion. I have mirrored everything as you, even down to the film M’s. All I can say is, “keep on keeping on”.  😁

Hi, so now, to keep up with our method, we MUST get an M10-P ! 😀

By the way, my reference to b&w refers to the screen only. I record the files in both dng and b&w jpgs. On the M-P’s EVF I find it much easier to focus in b&w rather than colour.

• Like 1