LEITZ TORPEDO very rare

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently added a Leitz Torpedo to my collection
  framelines for 20, 25, 50 and 75mm and it has a parralax correction
Does anyone know the code? Can it be a Kinor ?.
A greeting.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

The early KINOR did not have a parallax correction foot, perhaps this is a slightly later version (1933).  The fact that the foot is black paint suggest an early or prototype version. Reportedly, most cine finders of this form, were 15, 25, 50,75, 100. Is yours really 20 and with no 100?  The KINSU (VIDOM based not torpedo) had also 35 and 150 added. Probably changes were occuring often in such non-standard and now very rare cine finders by Leitz. Various cine camera makers may have requested differences in the finders from Leitz, also.

I agree with Alan. These look like focal lengths for cine and I suspect that this a KINOR. Laney mentions a photo of a KINOR in an advertisement with a parallax correction drum ( KINHA holder) such as that available for the KINSU. The nearest equivalent torpedo finder for stills cameras is the VIUNA which has parallax correction and focal lengths 35,50 and 73mm.

William

Here is the one I had in my Fontenelle collection. It has a chrome "foot", and I agree with Alan that the black paint suggests a prototype (or early production).

Page 334 of Laney shows the following VISOR (Torpedo) type viewfinders as being available with parallax adjustment and in black or chrome - VIUNA, VIZWO, VITRE and VIFUR. There is no indication whether the furnishings were chrome or nickel. My normal assumption would be that they started with nickel in 1933 and then migrated to chrome, but the VIDOM appeared around the same time and gradually replaced the VISOR types. Page 335 of Laney shows a KINSU (cine variation of the VIDOM) as being in black and metal. Unfortunately, while there is reference to a KINOR, there is no photo of it. Lager shows an unidentified cine torpedo finder on page 26 of his book, but also states that a listing for the KINOR had eluded him at the time of writing. This looks like a very interesting little area of Leica history with many variations and sub-species.

William

On 5/12/2018 at 23:27, alan mcfall said:

¿El tuyo es realmente 20 y sin 100?

• Like 1