Eye AF on CL or TL2?

wsself

36 minutes ago, 0luke1 said:

Sold my a7riii and a bunch of lenses. Have an m10 and cl. IMO, the cl is (clutch your pearls) better than either the a7riii or m10 in form and function, but the m10 takes better photos. Don’t miss the fiddly menu snd button encrusted sony at all.

From a usability/portability perspective, the CL was my winner - hands down. If you didn't already own an M10, would you have still sold your A7IIIR? 

It strikes me that the full-frame mirrorless cameras are getting back up there in terms of size. The lenses are certainly huge, especially the 1.4mm primes. Feels counterproductive to the whole mirrorless movement. 

On 11/5/2018 at 11:20 AM, wsself said:

...Thanks very much! Sounds like you and Leica go way back! It is comforting to know that others have experienced the same post-purchase 'trauma'. Even more comforting to know that said 'trauma' immediately diminishes. 😁

Way back to 1969, when I was knee high to a grasshopper (well, in high school :)). Believe me, $100 then was a vast amount of money to me. 😶

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2018 at 10:18 PM, wsself said:

From a usability/portability perspective, the CL was my winner - hands down. If you didn't already own an M10, would you have still sold your A7IIIR? 

It strikes me that the full-frame mirrorless cameras are getting back up there in terms of size. The lenses are certainly huge, especially the 1.4mm primes. Feels counterproductive to the whole mirrorless movement. 

I sold the Sony after I bought the M10. I planned to sell  one or the other. The Leica was so much easier/more satisfying to use. It was no contest. That said, had I bought the cl at the same time, I might have returned the M10 and sold the Sony. 

I know people are in love with the rangefinder. I love my 1960 Corvette with its kingpin front end, manual steering and manual drum brakes. But I don’t use it as a daily driver.      

If they made a full frame CL, I’d sell the M10 in a minute.

And I agree. I sold my gigantic Nikon D4 and D800 when I bought the Sony. But many of the Sony lenses were too big and heavy. I found myself using much smaller  manual focus lenses more often and having more fun. Leica lenses are relatively tiny, and more satisfying to use.

The only T lens I have is the 23. It’s light but bulky for being a f2. My MS Optics 28 f2 fits in its rear cap. 

Edited by 0luke1

A full-frame CL would be a doodle. :D

I've been using the CL the most in the past few months since I purchased it. It is truly a delightful camera ... and now that I have my ideal lens for it (the Pentax-L 43mm), it's really hard to put it down.

I won't let go of my M-D ... like it too much ... but the versatility of the CL is just incredible. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, 0luke1 said:

I sold the Sony after I bought the M10. I planned to sell  one or the other. The Leica was so much easier/more satisfying to use. It was no contest. That said, had I bought the cl at the same time, I might have returned the M10 and sold the Sony. 

I know people are in love with the rangefinder. I love my 1960 Corvette with its kingpin front end, manual steering and manual drum brakes. But I don’t use it as a daily driver.      

If they made a full frame CL, I’d sell the M10 in a minute.

And I agree. I sold my gigantic Nikon D4 and D800 when I bought the Sony. But many of the Sony lenses were too big and heavy. I found myself using much smaller  manual focus lenses more often and having more fun. Leica lenses are relatively tiny, and more satisfying to use.

The only T lens I have is the 23. It’s light but bulky for being a f2. My MS Optics 28 f2 fits in its rear cap. 

I hear ya - Sony lenses are quite large, especially the fast prime lenses. Like anything else in this world, you pay a premium for ultra-portability. What you also get with Leica though is the joy of using a well-thought-out and beautifully designed product. I almost went for that 23mm F2 lens myself. 

7 hours ago, ramarren said:

I've been using the CL the most in the past few months since I purchased it. It is truly a delightful camera ... and now that I have my ideal lens for it (the Pentax-L 43mm), it's really hard to put it down.

I won't let go of my M-D ... like it too much ... but the versatility of the CL is just incredible. 

Selfishly, I hope Leica does not release a Full-Frame CL now that I've invested in the APS-C model. 😋

On 11/6/2018 at 3:42 PM, ramarren said:

Way back to 1969, when I was knee high to a grasshopper (well, in high school :)). Believe me, $100 then was a vast amount of money to me. 😶

$100 is still a load of cash today! Only today it won't even get you a Leica-branded rope strap. (I'm speaking with Canadian Dollars of course)

2 hours ago, 0luke1 said:

I am waiting on delivery of a canon 50 f .95 (converted to M mount).  Can’t wait to see how it does on the CL.

Ooh... sounds like an interesting pair. Post sample pics when you get the kit together!

3 hours ago, wsself said:

...Selfishly, I hope Leica does not release a Full-Frame CL now that I've invested in the APS-C model. 😋 ...

I generally suspect that they won't because that would be too close to the SL, it would likely cut into SL sales. Rather, I suspect that they are more likely to create a version of the SL which is more compact and lighter, but has the SL's higher-end feature set. But of course, it's all conjecture and speculation. What Leica actually does is always something of a surprise to me, and they seem to know their market very well because they've only rarely been too far off the mark. 

20 hours ago, ramarren said:

The Pentax 43mm is very good. I believe that it’s not only rare but undervalued and under appreciated. Love it’s field of view on the M and I hope I would enjoy it on the CL when I buy it at last. 

2 hours ago, ynp said:

The Pentax 43mm is very good. I believe that it’s not only rare but undervalued and under appreciated. Love it’s field of view on the M and I hope I would enjoy it on the CL when I buy it at last. 

They made 2000 of the smc Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Limited, I understand: 1200 in black and 800 in silver. Mint, boxed examples with the viewfinder tend to run between $1100 and $1500—very expensive for a Pentax lens, but a bargain for the build quality and performance. I found this one sans finder for under $700 in super condition: it's like new. 

And I have to say, it's so good on the CL I can't believe it. The FoV is just perfect for me: an about 60mm long-normal. The image rendering it makes is just outstanding. On a point of curiosity, I fitted it to the BEOON last night with my ELPRO VIIa and VIIb stacked on it and it is an excellent lens for copying small flat art that way too—a 35mm negative setup that way nets a superb 16 Mpixel image. It's light and compact, and focuses quickly. It's got such excellent contrast and sharpness even wide open that the focus peaking snaps in and out with perfect indication even wide open if you choose to use it ... and is unnecessary most of the time down to f/5.6. 

I'm really really over the moon with it for the CL. A terrific lens. I haven't been this excited by a lens purchase in ages! :D

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 4:07 PM, ramarren said:

They made 2000 of the smc Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Limited, I understand: 1200 in black and 800 in silver. Mint, boxed examples with the viewfinder tend to run between $1100 and $1500—very expensive for a Pentax lens, but a bargain for the build quality and performance. I found this one sans finder for under $700 in super condition: it's like new. 

And I have to say, it's so good on the CL I can't believe it. The FoV is just perfect for me: an about 60mm long-normal. The image rendering it makes is just outstanding. On a point of curiosity, I fitted it to the BEOON last night with my ELPRO VIIa and VIIb stacked on it and it is an excellent lens for copying small flat art that way too—a 35mm negative setup that way nets a superb 16 Mpixel image. It's light and compact, and focuses quickly. It's got such excellent contrast and sharpness even wide open that the focus peaking snaps in and out with perfect indication even wide open if you choose to use it ... and is unnecessary most of the time down to f/5.6. 

I'm really really over the moon with it for the CL. A terrific lens. I haven't been this excited by a lens purchase in ages! :D

Could you please tell me which adapter(s) is/are recommended to get this little gem working on the CL / TL2 ?

Thanks in advance.

This is what's required:

1- A LTM to M-mount flange adapter. I'm using a current one made by Rayqual for 35/135 mm lenses, so that when I use it on my M-D it will show the 35mm frame lines. (Some folks prefer the 50/75 mm flange adapter so that it brings up the 50mm frame lines.)

2- The Leica M Adapter L mount adapter. I code the lens as a Summicron 35mm f/2, seems to be an excellent match. 

2 minutes ago, ramarren said:

This is what's required:

1- A LTM to M-mount flange adapter. I'm using a current one made by Rayqual for 35/135 mm lenses, so that when I use it on my M-D it will show the 35mm frame lines. (Some folks prefer the 50/75 mm flange adapter so that it brings up the 50mm frame lines.)

2- The Leica M Adapter L mount adapter. I code the lens as a Summicron 35mm f/2, seems to be an excellent match. 

Thanks for the fast feedback. Much appreciated. I am contemplating in buying a CL with that 43 Limited as a one camera/lens setup to go together with my Q.

Am I right in assuming that when used on a CL it doesn't matter which LTM to M adapter variation you use, as there will be no frame lines visible anyway?

Errr... The Super Takumars have an M42 mount or some the K mount.  So you need the appropriate Pentax to M adapter and then the L-M adapter.

The CL has no frame lines, BTW, so the LTM adapter (for LTM lenses) is not specific. You need one without cutout.

1 minute ago, jaapv said:

Errr... The Super Takumars have an M42 mount or some the K mount.  So you need the appropriate Pentax to M adapter and then the L-M adapter.

?? Sorry jaap, I am not referring to a Super Takumar. I am referring to the smc Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Limited  with the Leica L39 screw mount.

6 hours ago, MLochmansPhoto said:

Thanks for the fast feedback. Much appreciated. I am contemplating in buying a CL with that 43 Limited as a one camera/lens setup to go together with my Q.

Am I right in assuming that when used on a CL it doesn't matter which LTM to M adapter variation you use, as there will be no frame lines visible anyway?

Confirming: The focal length of the LTM to M adapter does not matter on the CL since the CL is a Live View camera with no frame lines. As jaapv said, be sure to use a modern adapter ... The current Rayqual brand adapters (available in the USA via CameraQuest.com and others) have properly placed divots so you can paint in the appropriate six-bit code: this allows the CL with the M Adapter L fitted (or any digital M) to automatically read and assign the lens code of your choosing. 

Jaap: The smc Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Limited has exactly the same optics as the smc Pentax-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited, but the latter was first released in 1997 and was never available in M42 threaded mount. To use it on the CL would require either a third-party Pentax K to L-mount adapter, or a Pentax K to M-mount adapter and the Leica M Adapter L. The SLR mount lens is much more readily available than the LTM mount lens and has the advantage of a focusing mount that focuses closer, but it cannot operate the rangefinder on Leica M cameras and the focusing mount is primarily intended for the Pentax screw-drive autofocus mechanism, which makes it somewhat light to the touch and fast—difficult to be precise with. Either lens performs very well, being that they are the same optics; the LTM lens simply feels and works more like what I want on the CL. 

• Like 1