SL SVE 16-35 hood

meerec

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mine on the 16-35 was the same.  Took it to Antarctica and kept dropping the hood in penguin shit 🙄.  I kid you not. Very awkward when having to disinfect coming back onto the ship.  Leica sorted it on my return.  Can’t recall whether it was adjusted or they gave me a new one but it’s fine now.

I do sometimes use an old B+W round metal hood for the 24-90 as the original is bulky but gives excellent protection and shading. I ordered another one on line, same code but maybe a later manufacture date and packaging. The new one vignettes when shooting wide open at 24 mm, the old one is fine.  I find the screw-in round hood hood for when I want to use a round PL filter. 

I haven’t found a round metal hood yet that is good for the 16-35.

Edited by MarkP

Thanks Mark. Since the lens barrel itself is made from -precisely manufactured- metal, it seems unlikely that the fix involves the lens barrel. I will ask Leica whether the current lens hoods are probably more secure. Regards Harald

Edited by ing_rippi

Just now, ing_rippi said:

Thanks Mark. Since the lens itself is made from -precisely manufactured- metal, it seems unlikely that the fix involves the lens barrel. I will ask Leica whether the current lens hoods are probably more secure. Regards Harald

No it’s not the barrel but the hood.

It is definitely the hood, mine was replaced and it is not much different.

My other 3 SL lens have never fallen off but the SL 16-35 hood is off with the slightest bump.

I like using the lens hood for protection and find a lens caps not necessary when doing so.

I have been wondering if a small bit of black electrical tape on the lens would make the lens hood more snug & secure.

I use a rubber lens hood on the 90-280 lens which I prefer to the original metal one especially as it works better as protection and you can also press it up against windows for wildlife photography. Rubber lenshoods also have the benefit that if knocked they won't damage the filter threads. Reading this thread, where I too find the original lenshood to be a bit insecure, I thought I would try the rubber one on the 16-35mm SVE and it works fine in "collapsed" mode. These are not expensive so it's worth a try.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also don't like and don't use the original supplied hoods. I don't have the 16-35 (unfortunately), but the quality of the supplied hoods is pretty good I think, the are to large, especially the one for the 24-90, it looks like coming from space ;-). For the 50 Summilux and 90-280 I use a cheap metal 20mm screw hood, works pretty good. On the 24-90 on 24mm there is quite a bit of vignetting, useless on that lens. So in rain I'm forced to use the original one on the 24-90. For the 90-280 I would like to have a 50mm one. Still searching.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

17 hours ago, MarkinVan said:

I have been wondering if a small bit of black electrical tape on the lens would make the lens hood more snug & secure.

Perhaps on the inner ring of the hood might be a better location

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 11:21 AM, MarkP said:

Mine on the 16-35 was the same.  Took it to Antarctica and kept dropping the hood in penguin shit 🙄.  I kid you not. Very awkward when having to disinfect coming back onto the ship.  Leica sorted it on my return.  Can’t recall whether it was adjusted or they gave me a new one but it’s fine now.

I do sometimes use an old B+W round metal hood for the 24-90 as the original is bulky but gives excellent protection and shading. I ordered another one on line, same code but maybe a later manufacture date and packaging. The new one vignettes when shooting wide open at 24 mm, the old one is fine.  I find the screw-in round hood hood for when I want to use a round PL filter. 

I haven’t found a round metal hood yet that is good for the 16-35.

I wonder if the hood falling off was due to the cold.  I took an R5 with 50mm f/1.4 mountaineering in Bhutan (Victor Saunders led the 'holiday', I was a client).  It is the old type with bayonet lends hood rather than built in, and has a lens cap that fits onto the front of the lens by friction, not using the filter thread at all.  It was so cold the cap fell off all the time.  No problem when I got back to the UK. (R5 - lovely camera, the 50 Summilux R has a beautiful focusing action too.)

The lens hood on my SVE  16-35 feels secure enough, although not as positive as on my 50 Summicron SL, are you sure that you are not knocking it somehow causing it to fall off?

I remember the scent of Penguin shit, bad enough at -10, really repulsive at 'room temperature'.  I hope you got some good photos.

I took delivery of a replacement hood directly from Leica. I don't think that it is any different from the one that came with the lens, have to be careful when using it i think. Probably a little piece of insulation tape on top of the the "locking" mechanism might help. Will try on the weekend.

Edited by ing_rippi

• 1 year later...

After purchasing the SL 16-35mm lens last year, within the first week the lens hood fell off from the slightest bump. This happened several times afterward, so I was always a bit worried that it would become lost on the trail. And, that's precisely what happened to me yesterday along a trail in Hawaii. Normally I carry the camera in a Cotton Carrier, but on this trip I went back to using my Spyder holster, which made it easier for movement to dislodge the lens hood, causing it to fall off, unnoticed.

Compared to my SL 24-90 and 90-280mm lenses, the SL 16-35mm lens hood does not mount in the same way. It feels as though it doesn't rotate as far around the lens for a more secure fit. The lens hoods for the other two have never come off from being bumped around, irregardless of the temperature outside.

I did have that little voice in my head on the trail telling me, "take off the lens hood, store it away or it will become lost." I should have listened.

But it's Leica, right? At the price I paid, it shouldn't happen. 

Edited by twistoflime
  • Like 1