SL SVE 16-35 hood

meerec

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All SVE 16-35 owners:  do you use the hood it gets delivered with ... or do you replace it with another hood (say: B+W 82mm Screw-In Metal Wide Angle Lens Hood #970)? The reason I ask I find the hoods on 24-90, 90-280, and 16-35 too bulky and too ugly to carry. On my 90-280, I installed a Sensei Pro metal hood that works wonderfully and offers me good protection of the front element (which I care most about, not so much glare). With the 16-35 zoom, I am bit more careful as at the widest zoom, the after market hood, even the B+W I quoted above, may cause vignetting. Even the B+W (Schneider Optics) website here mentions "Model 970 provides a large opening for wide-angle lenses with up to 70° image angle" but that is about 24mm FOV. In a way I've answered myself already but would like to hear from others ... What is your experience and advice?

Unlike you, I'm happy with the 16-35 hood. I also did not like the 90-280 hood as it feels flimsy as it is just round (more contour creates more mechanical strength such as corugator sheels over flat sheets), so I replaced it with the SL50 hood. Only round hood I'm using is the one that came with my SL75.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AndreaP75 said:

I haven’t found any issue with any of the provided hoods on the SL lenses. Giving the flare resistance of this particular lens (but also of the others), I won’t carry them if space doesn’t allow 

Not just for flare, as I said in my post, I care more to protect the front element of the lens from a physical abuse ... I find the supplied hoods "ugly" and large for that purpose I quoted alone @AndreaP75 but of course everyone will think differently about aesthetics. I'm still looking for a replacement hood for the SVE 16-35, and may not find anything suitable so may have to live with the Leica one. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

my problem with the 16-35 hood is that mine does not stay attached to the lens very well. The "click" to secure it is relatively weak and during my first walk in the woods, the hood kept falling off. I now secure it with a piece of gaffer tape. I certainly don't want to return it to exchange, due to scarcity of lens, but wonder if this is a common problem with this lens/hood. The hoods on my other SL lenses (24-90, 90-280, 50, and 90 ) do not have this problem.

I have the three zooms and the 50SL, and I use the supplied hoods.  Why? Protection and flare (though not such an issue).  The exception is when I’m using a polarising filter, and if flare is going to be a problem, I add the hood after adjusting the polariser.  A hassle, but not hugely so.

Ugly?  I don’t particularly care.  Is the bare lens any prettier?

I do use one of Thorsten’s hoods on my 35 Summilux-TL, but even that is a little weird.  Slightly more off topic, I also use the hood on my 28 Summaron-M ...

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

Ugly?  I don’t particularly care.  Is the bare lens any prettier?

Hi @IkarusJohn ... bare lens looks naked, missing something in my opinion ... needs some finishing touch, that's why I'm looking for a hood solution. Like on my 90-280 I have a very handsome looking Sensei Pro metal hood. I shall evaluate it again once I get the 16-35 lens. It's in planning, I haven't bought it yet 😂

43 minutes ago, Peter Branch said:

The hood that came with my 16-35 is constantly falling off.  Never happens with the 24-90.

I will see if Leica can improve or replace it.

Tendency for the same with my copy. The hood is mostly in place - so the situation is more 'stable' than in your case - but it drops off now and then. I can't recall problems with the 24-90 or the 90-280. Please report back based on your contact with Leica!

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:48 AM, helged said:

Tendency for the same with my copy. The hood is mostly in place - so the situation is more 'stable' than in your case - but it drops off now and then. I can't recall problems with the 24-90 or the 90-280. Please report back based on your contact with Leica!

I've had a response from Leica: -

"The lens hood of the Super-Vario-Elmar 16-35mm snaps slightly lighter than the Super-Vario-Elmar 24-90mm lens.

This is constructive Condition and does not represent a fault of the lens hood."

Quite why Leica would chose to do this remains a mystery to me.  I'll just have to be more careful. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Hello from Germany, i took delivery of the SVE 16-35 yesterday and noticed right away the rather light force feedback when mounting/locking the lens hood. It does not matter if the hood is attached upside down or not, the force seems to be comparable. The lens was manufactured in 11 / 2019 and i wonder if there is any update from one of you regarding this issue. Apart from that Happy Easter Harald