which film M for pro-use?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 2 Stunden schrieb jmahto:

I have M2 and FM2 both and I can tell you that to me FM2 doesn't act like a backup. It is just another camera. For me backup means I can share the lens between main and backup body. For digital teh bodies can be from two different makes (of course with different haptics but it is backup after all) but on film it has to be same make. 

the FM2 is not the back-up. Its the second body I use (for color).

In the beginning I´ll have these two. In the unlikely incidence of a failure I could shoot a wedding with either of these two. Also I´ll have my digital Leica in the car for back-up.

heiko

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vor 2 Stunden schrieb jmahto:

I wondered about it when I first got my M2 (I have M240 for digital). Although the shutter dial runs "wrong way" :) in M2, the way I shoot both is very different. On M240, I am mostly on A and when I go full manual, I move the shutter dial by looking at the LED arrow direction of the internal light meter, while looking through VF (not from the top plate). M2 is totally different since I am looking at it from the top and translating meter reading (or guess) to the setting. 

I started a thread about it some time ago asking opinion on what feels natural to folks and most response was that it is not an issue. After four months I don't find it an issue either. However, I don't shoot in professional capacity and everybody has their preferred way of using the camera. 

I turn the wheel by feel. When I move to a darker part of the room I simply adjust the exposure by "feel", works finde. So it is a very intuitive process. Having two Leicas where it goes in different directions would mess up things quite a bit.

On the other hand, my newly bought Nikon also goes in the "wrong" way, so it will not be easy anyway. Nikon also have wrong focus... aargh. Maybe R6.2?   oh man....

heiko

vor 2 Stunden schrieb A miller:

yeah, I can also walk and chew gum at the same time. 😉  I have 4 Leica Ms and never had a nanoseconds thought about that.

OK, but imagine you sit in a shift gear car and where the brake used to be there is suddenly the gas...

heiko

3 hours ago, A miller said:

yeah, I can also walk and chew gum at the same time. 😉  I have 4 Leica Ms and never had a nanoseconds thought about that.

But can you walk chew and gum shoe?

Seriously, I believe some habits of use are disadvantageous. Not me. I am multi-incompetent.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pico said:

But can you walk chew and gum shoe?

Seriously, I believe some habits of use are disadvantageous. Not me. I am multi-incompetent.

If I could then I shouldn't be shooting weddings, at least until I sobered up 🤣

Seriously, the requirement to be changing shutter speeds at such rapid fire speed is really exaggerated.  I personally would probably be changing aperture more than shutter.  And if it is such a hassle, one should be using A priority on the M7.

• Like 4

Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For a year, I've been alternating in "binges" of several months between shooting an M10 and and an M6 and M3. That works for me in terms of the opposite shutter dial directions. But whenever I've switched from one system to the other on a particular day, it's a nuisance — and that's for street photography where I can consider any particular shoot a trivial activity, not for a wedding where one has a moral undertaking to clients that are counting on your coming through with what they are counting.

Back in the 70s I used an M3, a Weston Master meter and Tri-X film B+W for weddings. The Tri-X I rated  at 320ASA and processed in Microdol - X, dilution 1:3. It gave me stunning results. Alas Microdol is no longer made by Kodak but Freestylephoto in the US make a legacy version which is equally good. I have had it shipped to the UK in bulk which makes it not too expensive. As someone said it doesn't really matter which film M camera you use. 

.. look over at edward olive ..
For me he is one of the most inspiring wedding photographers who also enjoy working on film. besides, he is a nice person who could really give you information.

https://www.google.com/search?q=edward+olive+wedding&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjI-Yr3xp_eAhUNRBoKHXakC0YQsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1920&bih=944

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2018 at 2:03 PM, frogfish said:

Thank you for your tip. However, it needs to be a Leica I am afraid.

Of course there might be more convenient options, or maybe even comfortable ones.  

But I want to fail with style...

heiko

I think that says it all: the only possible option for you then is a pair of Titanium M7s or maybe black-paint MP3s. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Never use Nikon with Leica..

Everything is other way!

Lens focusing, aperture scales, shutter dials..

Pro work needs back up, get similar body!

Being pro doesn't mean being the best, but getting around a problem, if and when it happens..

On 10/14/2018 at 5:23 PM, Hello said:

Two M7's with the Motor-M and color and B&W split between the two.

Same here for most 35mm film work. The motors are very helpful.
For earlier Leicas it's a motor or Abrahamsson Rapid Winder, or Leicavit.
Abrahamsson's product is superior.
Oh, and a right grip on everything.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb pixie:

Never use Nikon with Leica..

Everything is other way!

Lens focusing, aperture scales, shutter dials..

Pro work needs back up, get similar body!

Being pro doesn't mean being the best, but getting around a problem, if and when it happens..

have been doing so for years. Leica M-P and Sony A7s with Nikkor 50/1.2 AIS on tilt-adapter. (Which is an awesome combo).

But you are right... maybe not the smartest thing I got the Nikon FM, but I have the lenses, so...

heiko

I also own Nikons and Nikkors, my pro outfit.

The Leica of course my favorite but certain jobs needed lots of equipment and flash etc..

It looks so professional. HaHa.Once shot a great magazine editorial, with Leica M3, 35mm goggles and 21mm Super Angulon.

Spare rolls in jacket. Best spread of that year in magazine! THey NEVER hired me again..

Have fun with whatever camera you choose.  Like yourself, I can see lots of reasons for film.  It worked for about 100 years before digital came along.  I own an MP240 and enjoy the technology but my heart is in film.  As I posted my favorite film M is an M5 but I love the M2 and M4 and M6.

I shoot Nikons and Leica's together.  Although each works in opposite directions, it can be easily overcome.  I flew both fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft simultaneously for 30 years.    Negative habit transfer was not a problem (can't land a jet on a spot).  I don't see a problem with using Leica's and Nikons together.  Take a look at a bunch of the gear war photojournalists used during Vietnam.  Most carried a couple Leicas for wide angle and normal shooting and a Nikon F with a 200f4 for longer reach.  I have never seen anything written that they had any problems.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2018 at 12:06 AM, lookbook said:

.. look over at edward olive ..
For me he is one of the most inspiring wedding photographers who also enjoy working on film. besides, he is a nice person who could really give you information.

https://www.google.com/search?q=edward+olive+wedding&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjI-Yr3xp_eAhUNRBoKHXakC0YQsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1920&bih=944

quite nice..thanks  https://www.flickr.com/photos/edwardolive/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/edwardolive/albums/72157632416930856

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ktmrider2 said:

Have fun with whatever camera you choose.  Like yourself, I can see lots of reasons for film.  It worked for about 100 years before digital came along.  I own an MP240 and enjoy the technology but my heart is in film.  As I posted my favorite film M is an M5 but I love the M2 and M4 and M6.

I shoot Nikons and Leica's together.  Although each works in opposite directions, it can be easily overcome.  I flew both fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft simultaneously for 30 years.    Negative habit transfer was not a problem (can't land a jet on a spot).  I don't see a problem with using Leica's and Nikons together.  Take a look at a bunch of the gear war photojournalists used during Vietnam.  Most carried a couple Leicas for wide angle and normal shooting and a Nikon F with a 200f4 for longer reach.  I have never seen anything written that they had any problems.

Spot on.

Same thing with the "wrong way turning" of Leica M shutter speed setting of M2/3/4/P/-A/etc.

This "wrong way buttons/rings/controls" bother some and others even use and never notice the "wrong way thing".

To those who think digital is better for weddings are only considering the convenience and not so much the  art of composition and craft. Film is experiencing a revival of sorts as a result of the over obsession of resolution and the absurd nature of planned obsolescence. The character, depth and tonality of film are unmatched imo. Shooting Fuji 400H or Portra 400, but exposing at half rated speed ensures nicely exposed images with an amazing amount of latitude and excellent results using sunny 16. I admire the effort and confidence it takes to shoot film only, which by the way will make us all better photographers.

Edited by Jdphoto
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Jdphoto said:

To those who think digital is better for weddings are only considering the convenience and not so much the  art of composition and craft. Film is experiencing a revival of sorts as a result of the over obsession of resolution and the absurd nature of planned obsolescence. The character, depth and tonality of film are unmatched imo. Shooting Fuji 400H or Portra 400, but exposing at half rated speed ensures nicely exposed images with an amazing amount of latitude and excellent results using sunny 16. 

This is all very true .  And as much as I dislike the typical digital photo album (especially ones which are plagued with auto-correct WB), I will say that I highly appreciate the conveniences of digital that have become engrained in the general wedding photographer's workflow.  The sheer volume of output that is expected from clients is completely different.  That is, unless you have that client who also really appreciates the aesthetics of film.

• Like 1