"New" M7 ready for CLA?

pridbor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I took my M7 out for a shootout today only to find that it didn't release when I pressed the shutter button.

I had it in automatic mode and the red dot in the viewer was lit, i.e. I was convinced that all parameters were fine for a shot.

The button went soft and down but no action.

I'm very new to the M so I was wondering if there are situations where the camera think that it shouldn't release due to something, or should it 

just shoot regardless, which I thought it should.

The camera is an old "brand new", i.e. it hasn't had more than maybe 10 rolls of film run through it, so I thought that it was in perfect order.

Is it time for me to send it to a full CLA?

Thanks 

Preben

It is all the way to the Left.

(I was at first at loss as to what lever you were referring to, coming from "R" Cameras I'm accustomed to the button in the bottom.)

Do you know if I could move it to "R" and then back should this "reset" the mechanisms?

Is the release mechanism entirely mechanical? or is it require a Battery to operate (in automatic mode)

And also how sensitive is the Camera to Battery voltage? I measured mine to be 2.956 V vs a new which is 3.24 or so.

Thanks again for any insight highly valued!

Preben

The short answer is no. I assume that you mean a button screwed into the threads of the shutter button? I have seen photos of those, like a red one and don't like the looks of these.

Since last, I found out that when it "malfunction" all I need to do is to turn the Shutter time to "125" and that seems to "release" whatever it is that holds the Camere from normal functioning and after this all works fine again!!

So it seems like something causes the process to get hung up and not complete the cycle. so now the question is will it "heal itself" in use or do I need to send it off for service or do I live with losing an image every now and then??

Thanks for your input.

Since last, I found out that when it "malfunction" all I need to do is to turn the Shutter time to "125" and that seems to "release" whatever it is that holds the Camere from normal functioning and after this all works fine again!!

1/125 is one of the two mechanically timed shutter speeds that work independent of batteries. Sounds like you have an intermittent problem with the electronics or perhaps you are leaving the lens cap on and taking a shot in A mode?

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1