Replacement 35mm Summicron for Summilux

tom24

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello

I ask for your opinion and your experience.

For some thime I'm thinking about changing the lens 35mm f2.0 Summicron with 35mm f1.4 Summilux.

I wonder Is it worth the extra money for this exchange?

I have also 50mm f1.4 Summilux and I am very happy with it.

I work most with the most open aperture f1.4.

I really like the photos with the small depth of field ( DOF) and the pokeh that make it.

Is there really big difference between DOF and bokeh between 35mm Summicron and Summilux?

I use mainly for street photography!

Compromise between price, quality, weight and size ...

I'm using M10.

I am very pleased to have your  opinions.

Especially those who could try both.

Thanks.

I started with the 35 Summicron, sold it, bought the 35 Summilux FLE, sold it, and am back to the Summicron. I did not think the extra stop was worth the increased size and inferior ergonomics. I also didn’t find 1.4 to be very usable (hard to focus, vignetting, too much of a “look” that distracted from the image). The Summicron is perfect ergonomically and I have never once thought an image taken with the Summicron would have looked better if taken with the Summilux.

I expect I will be in the minority with this view, but that’s my opinion and personal experience.

• Like 1

I tried the Summilux 35 asph (pre-FLE) for a while and returned to the Summicron 35 asph. I found the rendering, especially for street scenes at night much more to my taste, the speed is irrelevant with digital high-ISO performance, for bokeh I prefer longer focal lengths, and I prefer the smaller size.

I have both. The Summilux is a pre-FLE as I have one that doesn't appear to shift focus and I found its OOF subjectively more pleasing than the FLE's.

I can focus the Summicron faster and more reliably, but the rendering (or *character*) of the Summilux is generally more interesting to my eyes.

And occasionally, whatever the ISO, one needs a little extra speed or slightly more subject isolation.

On the other hand, if you are using it primarily for street, bokeh becomes less important than size/weight and ease of focussing - so the Summicron wins here.

Price? The Summicron obviously wins again.

My advice is keep the money and your Summicron.

If you can try Summicron 2/35 8 elements, first version : that one is lovely (or not depend on one's taste).

Then you would have a lens with "character" (good or bad ;)) to try.

I do use Summilux-M 35mm asph. (and other Summicron's and more) for long time and almost never use 35 Lux asph. with M10 :rolleyes:

as side note I use now Summarit-M 2.5/35 with pleasure for it's rendering and smalllish/lightness/not protrude in VF, etc.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

My advice is keep the money and your Summicron.

as side note I use now Summarit-M 2.5/35 with pleasure for it's rendering and smalllish/lightness/not protrude in VF, etc.

I agree - the M10 doesn't need a fast 35. I also use the Summarit-M 2.5/35 on my M10 almost all the time, although I also have faster choices. The Summarit's handling and images are very nice.

Depending on the version of your Summicron, stay with it. (Mine is a v2 from 1969, and later versions are much better.)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 35mm focal length is my favorite focal length to use and I have thus purchased a number of options, three brand new (Leica 35mm f1.4 FLE, 35mm f2.4 Summarit, Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 Ultron VM) and a used, virtually mint, recent 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH, which I just received back after being at Leica NJ for 6 months undergoing an overhaul.

If all I was after was practical, ultimate, all-around performance, I should have stopped at the Voigtlander Ultron. Results are indistinguishable from any of the Leica lenses and better than any of them when the sun is in the field of view. It’s simply a hard lens to argue against other than, there’s little reason bring practical talking this system. Lenses are much a part of the draw as the bodies and, as you can tell, I’ve nothing against preferring to own and use the brand lenses. The one I have with me and on my MP240 today is tbe Summilux FLE because I simply love using it. It’s exquisitely built, precise in it’s controls and does produce beautiful results.

I wonder Is it worth the extra money for this exchange?

I have also 50mm f1.4 Summilux and I am very happy with it.

I work most with the most open aperture f1.4.

I really like the photos with the small depth of field ( DOF) and the bokeh that make it.

Is there really big difference between DOF and bokeh between 35mm Summicron and Summilux?

I have both the 50/1.4 Summilux asph. and the 35/1.4 Summilux asph. (pre-FLE). If you use your 50 at f/1.4 (I am assuming that its an asph.) and like it then you will like the 35/1.4 asph. Personally I think that there is a distinct difference between 35mm f/2 and f/1.4 lenses BUT whether its worth the extra cost is only something that you can decide. I was fortunate in upgrading for little cost.

I like to shot wide open, had both lenses for a certain period and finally traded in the Summicron. The Summilux FLE is not that much larger and has just more options regarding depth of field and low light. I find it overall better than the Summicron in any way, short of the price. I also used to have a Voigtlander 1.2/35 (first version). Optically very nice, but a tad too large and heavy.

So yes, I would absolutely go for the Summilux FLE, in case you use the 35 often and like to shot wide open. It is worth it.

[...] Is there really big difference between DOF and bokeh between 35mm Summicron and Summilux? [...]

Depends at what aperture. 35/1.4 FLE has obviously less DoF at f/1.4 than 35/2 asph v1 (no experience with v2) at f/2. Gives more pop to images of course so if this is what you're after the Summilux FLE is the way to go. Otherwise the 35/1.4 FLE is a bit sharper at f/2. At f/2.8 it is more or less a draw but the 35/1.4 FLE's bokeh is sometimes too harsh around f/2.8 for my taste, especially when there are highlights in the background (https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-dLGmqPN/0/16f885fd/L/i-dLGmqPN-L.jpg) . But not here for instance: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-gx3pt8Q/0/9195d5ee/L/i-gx3pt8Q-L.jpg. Otherwise, the 35/1.4 FLE has a bit less flare and CA but it is also more bulky so if size is a concern, the 35/2 asph v1 is the better compromise IMHO.

Edited by lct

I was in a similar situation as the OP and recently decided to sell my 35/50 Summicrons to buy the 35mm FLE. But mine are for dual use on M10 and SL and that made the difference for me. In my view the size and ergonomics of the summicrons is perfect on an M10 so if this had been my main camera I would have kept them and instead sold the Summilux 50. Part of me still think I should have.

I've owned and used a Summilux 35mm ASPH FLE for several years, and it's one of my favorite lenses. But it's simply too big and heavy for a daily lens in my opinion.

I sold it, and then tried a Summicron 35 ASPH for a while. Sold that, then tried a Zeiss Biogon 35/2 ZM for a while. Sold that, and now I'm back to a Summicron 35 ASPH (v1) that I truly enjoy. The ergonomics of the Cron is much better also. And it just fits the M10 or MP (analog M) perfectly size and weight wise. Perfect balance!

I prefer the rendering of the Summicron 35 ASPH to the Summilux, for some reason. The Summicron has a smooth but at the same time contrasty rendering that I really like, both on film and digital. By comparison the 35 ASPH FLE looks hyper modern, and the bokeh of the Summilux 35 ASPH FLE is often nervous, and, many times I just simply felt like the bokeh was too dominating in the images at f/1.4. Also, if I really wanted bokeh shots, the Summilux 50 ASPH (which I also own) was always the better lens to use anyway.

In the end I am really happy with the Summicron 35 ASPH v1. I found a 1 year old one that still had warranty and everything. The only issue with it was that the hood was missing and that the aperture clicks was a little loose, but I got it for $1400, and that was with a receipt. Sent it in to Leica on warranty and had the lens calibrated and aperture clicks adjusted, and bought a original brand new hood from a guy that never had used his for $50, and I'm truly happy. I prefer the way it renders to any of the other 35's I've tried. A true keeper!

• Like 2