BJP review of Bessa R4a and R4m

earleygallery

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This weeks edition has a review of the new Bessa R4a and R4m, which are versions with viewfinder framelines from 21mm.

The reviewer acknowledges that Leica is the best camera ultimately, but suggests that one of these bodies is a better option than an external viewfinder considering the comparative cost.

Also the VC lenses came out well in the review, as a viable option to a Leica optic for those of us with more limited budgets. Better than the Zeiss in this case anyway.

Also the VC lenses came out well in the review, as a viable option to a Leica optic for those of us with more limited budgets. Better than the Zeiss in this case anyway.

Now that's very interesting, James ... which lenses were they using for the comparison? how did they come to the conclusion?

Guest stnami

Despite that I found the VC lenses a bit contrasty, for harsh sunlit days and nights, So I got a couple of leica and canon lenses for those days. On rainy days, not pommy rain the f3.5 is enough. personally I live on f8 whenever I can.

I have a R4A and it's great beats the socks off my M4 I used to have, tried to give it away finally sold it. Easier to load, nice weight, the 21,25, 28 viewfinder lines are great with minimum distraction from the small lenses, had a few tumbles working without a glitch. A lot of people putting Leica lenses on the camera 24 /25 framelines there would be nothing in it, the camera looks great as well

Bought mine from Chiif cameras in Singapore, cheaper than anywhere else, as with most Singaporians can can help with vat etc:)

CHIIF CAMERAS - Home

That wouldn't surprise me, as I seem to recall the Zeiss lenses are made by Cosina.

They used the 21mm lenses. The Zeiss showed quite severe vignetting compared to the Skopar which has hardly any. The Skopar was describes as being 'very close' to the Leica lens in terms of performance, but of course the Leica was best which it should be given the price difference!