400mm Lens for SL?

peterbob67

Advertisement (gone after registration)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1265614-REG/novoflex_sl_eos_canon_ef_lens_to.html

buy this adapter and a used canon 400mm f5.6. believe me. you'll thank me later. don't use filter. 

if you don't believe me, then you can always take a look on my 400mm f5.6 album, lots taken by SL

https://flic.kr/s/aHskRVtJPb

• Like 1

can i use this novoflex adapter with the EF x2 extender mk 3 ? was looking at the https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732108-USA/Canon_4411B002_EF_300mm_f_2_8L_IS.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1265614-REG/novoflex_sl_eos_canon_ef_lens_to.html

buy this adapter and a used canon 400mm f5.6. believe me. you'll thank me later. don't use filter. 

if you don't believe me, then you can always take a look on my 400mm f5.6 album, lots taken by SL

https://flic.kr/s/aHskRVtJPb

I had considered buying an SL so as to use the 90-280 as a 135-420 mm lens while still getting the full 24 Mpixel resolution ... But then I did some testing, setting the lens at 280 in FF and ~190 on the SL, with the camera set to APS-C mode (10 MPixel) ... same scene, same settings. I rendered and printed the results and compared them made into 13x19" prints, the largest size my P600 can make. (With the 10Mpixel images, I upscaled them to 1.4x the pixel dimensions on export to achieve a 20Mpixel print file: a standard technique I used with 5MPixel files from the Olympus E-1 to get a 10Mpixel print file.) 

I could not see any difference, certainly not enough difference to be worth spending $3000+ for another body or even $500-800 for a Nikon/Canon lens plus adapters, etc. 

Result: I didn't have to spend any money or learn a new camera, and I can take advantage of the SL90-280's superb quality and outstanding image stabilization, while getting all of the SL metering modes, etc. I use such a long lens so infrequently anyway that spending all that money to use it once in a blue moon is pretty ridiculous for me. :D

• Like 1

I had considered buying an SL so as to use the 90-280 as a 135-420 mm lens while still getting the full 24 Mpixel resolution ... But then I did some testing, setting the lens at 280 in FF and ~190 on the SL, with the camera set to APS-C mode (10 MPixel) ... same scene, same settings. I rendered and printed the results and compared them made into 13x19" prints, the largest size my P600 can make. (With the 10Mpixel images, I upscaled them to 1.4x the pixel dimensions on export to achieve a 20Mpixel print file: a standard technique I used with 5MPixel files from the Olympus E-1 to get a 10Mpixel print file.)

I could not see any difference, certainly not enough difference to be worth spending $3000+ for another body or even $500-800 for a Nikon/Canon lens plus adapters, etc.

Result: I didn't have to spend any money or learn a new camera, and I can take advantage of the SL90-280's superb quality and outstanding image stabilization, while getting all of the SL metering modes, etc. I use such a long lens so infrequently anyway that spending all that money to use it once in a blue moon is pretty ridiculous for me. :D

Thanks! Great sharing of information. To me this kind of comparison information is valuable and not just comparing pixel count to determine differentiation like many concerns over the forum on asking senselessly for sensor pixel count increase.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So when you use the 90-280 at 280 in APSC mode, you are getting an equivalent of about 420mm?  Does anyone know if the crop factor is 1.5 or 1.6?

Still, I think, get a CL body and use the 90-280 for 24 MP cropped images will give the better results, with the bonus of a rather nice second string to the SL. Although I think the CL might work its way into first place ;)

Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L II USM with Novoflex adapter and maintain autofocus ...............................

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Carl Zeiss Contarex Tele-Tessar 1:5.6 f=400mm ..............................................

• Like 2

Still, I think, get a CL body and use the 90-280 for 24 MP cropped images will give the better results, with the bonus of a rather nice second string to the SL. Although I think the CL might work its way into first place ;)

If I can't tell the difference, then what difference does it make? The CL body would be a nicely more compact thing to carry, but if I'm carrying the SL90-280 lens, it's not the reason I need a camera backpack to carry it...! :D

Leica Apo-Telyt-R 1:2.8/400 ...........................

• Like 1