Polarizing effect

Hobbit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just took delivery of a new Leica SL and will be using it primarily with my M lenses (50mm f/2 APO, 21mm 1.4, 75mm 1.4) and would like to know if I will be able to see the effects of a polarizing filter through the mirrorless electronic viewfinder. Never used a polarizer with my M camera or M Monochrom because it was too much of a hassle to look through it, position it for the effect, then re-mount it. Was not able to find anything about this in the voluminous manual so I coming to you for help. Also, would a linear filter work as well as a circular polarizer with the SL?

Thank you all.

... would like to know if I will be able to see the effects of a polarizing filter through the mirrorless electronic viewfinder.

Yes, you will. That said, it's possible that the polarising effect seen in viewfinder might be weaker than in the final photograph. To find out, just make a few comparison shots with and without polarising filter. The effect on blue skies will be strongest with the sun at a 90° angle from the direction of sight; it will be negligible with the sun at 0° (right in front of you) or 180° (in your back).

Also, would a linear filter work as well as a circular polarizer with the SL?

Yes, it will. A circular poarising filter is required only for SLR cameras which feature auto-focus and/or selective/spot metering ... or on digital M models (i. e. those with a metal-leaf focal-plane shutter, as opposed to a cloth focal-plane shutter).

That said, it's possible that the polarising effect seen in viewfinder might be weaker than in the final photograph.

This is something I've noticed. It's worth mentioning that the view you see in the EVF is, I believe, a JPEG and as such already has post processing for things like colour and contrast applied.

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

circular pol should meter ok thru the lens.     A leica M linear will work fine also.  Where the trouble is if a linear combines with semi silvered mirror for metering only.  There is a work around without removing it.

No need to remount.   The swing out leica moves 180 deg to go in front of M viewfinder to judge effect.  Swing back over lens for metering and taking photo.

Do not buy a cheapo as many are not neutral grey and your pictures go off color.  I have a cheap Tiffen that is 30 green so I use a special WB.  Very old Leica swing out make for B&W are green also.   Current and last generation Leica swing out are neutral.

Actually there is no need to remove the polarizer on an M. At full effect, the least amount of light is striking the sensor so the light meter set on Auto will show that. Rotate the polarizer ring and see when you get the lowest f-stop or lowest speed setting in the viewfinder. That position yields the greatest polarizing effect.