Is NIK software dead? (Silver Efex Pro) {MERGED}

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The first thing I heard about this was a mailing by Matt Kloskowski (well-known Photoshop/Lightroom Guru) offering a free survival guide. A rather surprising development by Google IMO, but there it is

Link to the Survival Guide:

http://mattk.com/nik-dead-free-survival-guide-switching-on1/

Disclaimer: It is a bit of a promotional, but I have no relationship, I'm just a LR, PS and ON1 user.

I don't really use NIK software although I do have the plugin, so it was a bit outside my interest sphere.

Anyway, I find Matt's writing very interesting in general.

What is the problem exactly? You can't pay anymore and you can't receive updates anymore? It is the only "problem" you might have with this software. For the rest of us, who knows how to use it, it works at any available Windows OS. From unsupported XP as 32-bit application, to Win 10 as 64-application.

I'm using free NiK collection software and free LR standalone (came with M-E), but I don't use NiK as plug-in, but as standalone applications. Not a problem.

Seriously, free and working software, yet, where are some who are keep on whining about it. 

From what I've read, the NIK plugins will no longer function when Apple releases their newest OS latter this year.  And with no further updates coming from Google, NIK will no longer be usable.   I don't understand the technical aspects of why but this is the cause of the angst so many of us are feeling.  I've only used Silver Efex but I find it a very useful plugin which I will miss.  Jaap - thanks for the link to the article. It was a good and interesting read.

Alan

• Like 1

I bought the NIK set years ago when it was on sale for $99. I used their output sharpener quite a bit when I had my printing business but found no need for it when printing my own work. The only other part of the package I ever really used was Silver Effects Pro but that was before I acquired my Monochrom. Now it just a panel taking up space in my Photoshop window. I can't remember the last time I used these plug-ins. Too bad it is being left to die but Google is not really in the Photoshop Plug In business. Not sure why they bought NIK in the first place.

Updating OSX? I just purchased the desktop version of Quickbooks and was told afterwards by the Intuit salesman that they would no longer be updating their desktop version for Mac OS updates... unless I purchase their $30 per month subscription version. Blackmail. I'll see how long I can hold out before something seriously needed forces an upgrade.

Looks like you need two Macs one with old software, one with the latest. Examples; I can only take LR6 so far with my OS, but if I 'upgraded' some music DAC programs would no longer work (not to mention peripherals like ancient but workhorse HP printer and probably my A4 scanner too). New Audirvana needs later Mac OS than mine, but 1.5.12 does all I need anyway.

I kept an old PC for 15 years just to run Quickbooks. But it finally died. So now I'll freeze my iMac just where it is in time until I'm ready to pay their blackmail. The laptops will always be current.

On the other hand, I'm keeping my old Macbook Pro for as long as I can as it still reads SD cards (and is a damn fine computer). What was Apple thinking when they phased out the SD card readers from their laptops?

• Like 1

No, it's a good reason to resist updating OSX for as long as possible.  I've 'done my time' with Windoze and will not be returning.

Pete.

I bet we'll get a large number of nag screens, Pete. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

What is the problem exactly?... Seriously, free and working software, yet, where are some who are keep on whining about it. 

Come on, Ko.Fe - I know from your history of posts that you're not the kind of guy that wants to be cynically manipulated by some big corporation - but that's exactly what Google did when they bought your online voice by giving away software that a lot of people had paid a lot of money to use. They don't do anything without thinking through every last angle - and this time they didn't want to repeat the hassle they got when RSS-reader got closed down.

So to drown out the protests from paid users, what better way than 'giving away' the software for free, and buying an army of people who can (and always do) show up in every discussion about this subject, and say "what's your problem? The software is free. Stop whining."

Enjoy your free software. But please don't do Google's dirty work for them. I think your integrity is worth more than that.

• Like 1

Wow didn't realize this thread would devolve so quickly into a mac vs windows fight. How about film is better than digital?

Anyway, to get back to at least something vaguely related to the thread topic: another reason Google made the software free was to destroy all competition in this area. One ray of hope in the fact that the software is effectively dead from next year, is that it might open the market again to new developers.

Another question raised in the thread: Google bought the company to acquire Snapseed - the mobile photo-editing app, which they hoped would evolve into a social platform to rival Facebook's acquisition of Instagram (it hasn't).

• Like 1