Adding a film M to my digital M

satureyes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just curious, how do you find the M2 nicer more solid built that the M4? The M2 is basically a downstripped M3? Nicer is of course subjective, but I have an M3 and an M4. They seem equally solid, both noticeably better than my M6.

I don't have an M3, but I see no sense in which the M2 is a stripped down M3, other than having an external frame counter. The materials used are, for all intents and purposes, identical.

As you say, it is of course subjective. My M2 is chrome whilst my M4 is a late black paint. I suspect the different finish is as responsible for my perception of solidity as the small differences in construction. The cold chrome of the M2 gives a very hard metallic impression compared to the warmer paint of the M4. Coupled with the plastic tipped advance lever, aluminum rewind knob and black anodized rear door, the M4 has a slightly lighter and more organic feel than the all brass M2.

Having said all of this, there is something very appealing about the black paint M4 in the hands. I suspect my preference may change once I've had a chance to use it more extensively.

Out of M2, M3 and M4, you really can't go wrong. They are all wonderful, tactile feats of mid 20th century design and engineering.

I'm just happy I get to experience them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mute-on

So a quick update.

I bought an Olympus SP from eBay. Very very good condition. I put a roll of XP2 into it. Still not quite finished the roll but it's a very strange feeling coming back to film.

In the meantime I was looking at M's still. The Olympus just wasn't doing it for me. It feels solid but I can't get the metering down - it's some odd method of matching the EV dial on the lens to the number shown in the viewfinder. The camera is in incredible condition but just feels disconnected from me.

So last night I was looking online. Saw an M6 with motor winder. £900 and available. It didn't have a baseplate but red dot had one.

I decided to take the plunge. I will sell the Olympus and should get around £160 and the winder prob around the same so £300 off the cost of the M6.

It's apparently in very good condition and it's been checked. It's from Ffords photographic who are reputable. Red dot tell me it's £125 for a CLA so I'll run some film through and see what happens. I'm hoping the RF is all fine and calibrated properly.

Edited by satureyes

Congratulations on a lovely acquisition. It will serve you well alongside your digital kit.

Thank you.

I tried a couple of other cameras. An Olympus SP in particular. Didn't feel right.

This M6 just feels so normal to me. It came with a motor winder but no baseplate. Sold the plate and the Olympus. Bought a new baseplate. Essentially the camera was 980 with the additional purchase of the baseplate. Net cost was £580 for the M6. I think that's a pretty good deal. If it needs a CLA then it's another 125 so still a good price. Dealer assured me it was fully tested etc.

Have a roll of film that is almost exposed so I'll know soon enough.

• Like 2

It was taken with an iPhone. Was not really meant to be a work of art.

As opposed to the M6 *Leica M being is a work of art.

Not sure anyone can produce a ordinary image of an Leica M. I'm looking at getting one myself.

Congratulations again.

Not a criticism. All good  :)

• Like 1