Nifty Fifty: Please share some 50 mm pictures!

goldchen96

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Summilux 50 asph

• Like 2

3 Generations

0.95 Noctilux

• Like 6

Noctilux 0.95

• Like 11

One from a series I did in 2012, at the dogtrack, on greyhound racing in Glasgow.

Leica M9-P and 1978 Noctilux version1 E58, shot at F1. Don't have either the camera or the lens any more. Sometimes I miss the M9-P, but I often miss the Noctilux.

• Like 3

One from a series I did in 2012, at the dogtrack, on greyhound racing in Glasgow.

Leica M9-P and 1978 Noctilux version1 E58, shot at F1. Don't have either the camera or the lens any more. Sometimes I miss the M9-P, but I often miss the Noctilux.

My is a 1978 Noctilux v2.

I can never imagine myself without it, ever. :p

my name is Arvin & I am not a photographer. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My is a 1978 Noctilux v2.

I can never imagine myself without it, ever. :p

my name is Arvin & I am not a photographer. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I meant mine was version 1 of the F1 design. Not the original F1.2 design, which I suppose was the version 1. Mine was definitely from 1978 though, with the clip-on hood. A few marks on the glass, and oil on the blades, but the results from it were dreamy. I now have a 50mm Summilux ASPH, which still gives beautiful results, and is half the size and weight of the Noctilux, so I can carry it around all day without killing my shoulder.

But yes, I do miss the old Noctilux sometimes. Nothing else can give quite that look to a picture. The price they go for now, I couldn't justify buying one back. I paid £900 for mine in 2006, and sold it for £3200 in 2012. They go for about £5.5K now. It's crazy. Never sell a Leica lens, it's true.

• Like 3

Yes, I meant mine was version 1 of the F1 design. Not the original F1.2 design, which I suppose was the version 1. Mine was definitely from 1978 though, with the clip-on hood. A few marks on the glass, and oil on the blades, but the results from it were dreamy. I now have a 50mm Summilux ASPH, which still gives beautiful results, and is half the size and weight of the Noctilux, so I can carry it around all day without killing my shoulder.

But yes, I do miss the old Noctilux sometimes. Nothing else can give quite that look to a picture. The price they go for now, I couldn't justify buying one back. I paid £900 for mine in 2006, and sold it for £3200 in 2012. They go for about £5.5K now. It's crazy. Never sell a Leica lens, it's true.

Really is that how cheap they were, I thought I did ok when I bought my pre asph summilux 35mm at about the same time for (I think) £250ish from a shop you probably know as its in Edinburgh cameratiks now camerabase.

Edited by Frase
  • Like 1

Tate Modern exhibit. F1.

• Like 5

50mm Summicron

Summilux 50 asph

• Like 9

Perhaps look to acquire a R 80 1.4?  Much more reasonably priced ($1800-2200 USD range) and a somewhat similar rendering.

Rob

• Like 2

m10 ~ 50mm Summilux Asph

f8 ~ 1/6 ~ iso 100

1965 Rare Gibson EB-0 Bass ~ Ember Red

Or click here for a better Higher Resolution view:

http://imgur.com/eo8qXzT

Edited by roverover
  • Like 4

Really is that how cheap they were, I thought I did ok when I bought my pre asph summilux 35mm at about the same time for (I think) £250ish from a shop you probably know as its in Edinburgh cameratiks now camerabase.

I think any secondhand Leica M lens in 2006 cost probably a fraction of what they cost now.

Cameratiks is great, an Aladdin's cave of old classic cameras. I got my Noctilux from Quiggs in Glasgow, now called City Camera Exchange. £900, it seems unbelievable now. There was oil on the blades, and a few marks on the front element, so they priced it accordingly. Neither the oil, nor the marks affected the performance of that lens. It's the only lens I've ever had that just would not flare, under any conditions.

I think the price of old Leica glass began to climb when the M8 came out, but absolutely rocketed after the introduction of the M9.

City Camera Exchange don't sell Leica secondhand any more. They say the internet killed that side of their business, though I note that Cameratiks still do old Leica gear.

Edited by colint544