How much developer to use when developing one role of 35mm film in a Patterson two-tank system?

RayD28

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't get why you need the second empty reel. Paterson tanks have a circular collar to firmly hold the single reel down in a two reel tank. Why dirty a clean reel that may be needed before it is washed and dried. Not uncommonly I process films separately and need the other reel perfectly dry for immediate loading. Not rocket science.

The center collar in my tank is fairly smooth and has no marks on it which might stop a single reel from moving especially if the whole tank is flipped during inversions. A second spare reel simply avoids any vertical collar movements - I rather have this additional security than risking that the single reel moves up the collar and then is no longer fully inserted in 300 ml of liquid. 

Martin, I don't know if you had youir tank from new, or second hand, but it should have been supplied with a secure collar that does work on the smoothe centre column. I have made a couple of quick pics for you to illustrate what I mean.

If you don't have such a collar, I think it should be easy to acquire one.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The collar is really secure and I have used it, or similar ones, for more than 30years. Never a slip up. I should add that I don't use vigourous inversions, only gentle tilt and back, 'feeling' the flow of developer as I tilt.

• Like 2

Martin, I don't know if you had youir tank from new, or second hand, but it should have been supplied with a secure collar that does work on the smoothe centre column. I have made a couple of quick pics for you to illustrate what I mean.

If you don't have such a collar, I think it should be easy to acquire one.

attachicon.gif2017-05-16---01.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-05-16---02.jpg

The collar is really secure and I have used it, or similar ones, for more than 30years. Never a slip up. I should add that I don't use vigourous inversions, only gentle tilt and back, 'feeling' the flow of developer as I tilt.

Okay, I am using exactly the same setup just that I don't have this ring which is placed on top of your reel. This ring might hold the reel better in its position (I was not even aware that this ring existed!). Probably my second reel acts as ring replacement to hold the bottom reel in place. I also tend to shake more vigorously and do rapid inversions. 

Edited by Martin B
  • Like 1

Your second reel certainly works, as you know. For me, I often, well sometimes, have a B&W film and a colour film to develop. That's why I need to keep the second reel dry, if I want to process back to back.

• Like 1