Leica Q Auto ISO Question

ChuckA

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/29/2018 at 3:36 PM, Krusty said:

Hi all,

today the Firmware 3.0 was released. But this bug has not been fixed

😞 😞 😞

So I just got my brand new to me Q home (with firmware version 3.1) and this STILL hasn't been fixed.  My guess is it never will be.  Very frustrating.

vor 16 Stunden schrieb RollieRon-Q:

So I just got my brand new to me Q home (with firmware version 3.1) and this STILL hasn't been fixed.  My guess is it never will be.  Very frustrating.

The Leica Q has not been available from Leica for some time now. I think the software maintenance has been finished since then.

vor 17 Stunden schrieb RollieRon-Q:

You talk about Leica Q (1) Typ 116? As @jmschuh says, we all believe that the software maintenance is over (but still an amazing camera)

Thanks.  Yes the Q (116).  Agree it is a great camera.  Just shocked that they didnt fix the way the auto ISO works.  Also the quirk where if you are using A or P mode and move the shutter speed to underexpose the picture, it is not reflected in the EVF.  Meaning it shows no indication of underexposing (in A and P mode) and the EV meter stays at 0, and the live view shows normal exposure, but the resulting image when played back is underexposed. If i set the same shutter, aperture and ISO values in M mode, the EV meter shows severe underexposure.  Actually that is more than a quirk.  That is just a flaw.

12 hours ago, RollieRon-Q said:

Thanks.  Yes the Q (116).  Agree it is a great camera.  Just shocked that they didnt fix the way the auto ISO works.  Also the quirk where if you are using A or P mode and move the shutter speed to underexpose the picture, it is not reflected in the EVF.  Meaning it shows no indication of underexposing (in A and P mode) and the EV meter stays at 0, and the live view shows normal exposure, but the resulting image when played back is underexposed. If i set the same shutter, aperture and ISO values in M mode, the EV meter shows severe underexposure.  Actually that is more than a quirk.  That is just a flaw.

I have a Q2, not a Q, but the way I use A mode is to leave the Shutter Speed dial at A, and then use the right rear wheel to adjust the Exposure compensation, which adjusts the shutter speed (or ISO if you are in auto ISO) to give one the amount of under or over exposure desired. The adjusted shutter speed, ISO, and the exposure compensation are displayed on both the EVF and the LCD screen.

In P mode the right rear wheel shifts the “program” - both the aperture and shutter speed - to provide the same exposure. You could program the right rear wheel button, or the FN button  to access exposure compensation, which is then adjusted with the directional pad. I prefer the A mode.

If you are in A mode and turn the shutter speed dial you are then in M mode. I think the way one sets modes on the Q2 is brilliant, just decide what you want to control, and what you’ll let the camera control.

I’m not sure if the Q settings are similar, but a few minutes of playing will tell you.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

Hi,

New member and new Leica Q owner. Happy to be here!

I was looking for info abut this auto ISO behavior, and it looks like it will not be fixed. A bit annoying to have to create different profiles just for this issue. 

But I was wondering, does the Q2 do the same?