Leica Q Auto ISO Question

ChuckA

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi again,

does anybody own a Leica SL? I think this model is the closest related camera to the q! How is the behavior there?

Regards,

Today i was at Leica Store Munich and told them the Problem with Q‘s Auto-ISO behavior. Then i had the possibility to test the behavior on the SL. The Auto ISO of the SL (Big Brother of the Q) works as expected. The ISO was at 50 until my max exposure time of 1/8 was reached and then it raised the ISO.

After that, he agreed that this is a bug and he will report it to Leica. The problem is, that this shop is not hosted by Leica itself but by a subcompany.

On my way home i did a call to the customers service in Wetzlar but it was already late and i will get a call tomorrow. Stay tuned.

If there will not soon be a fix for this issue, i will send my camera to the leica service in Wetzlar, so that the issue of my camera is documented and somebody has to do a look at it.

Well, if it would be a hardware issue like a problem with the case or anything, everybody of us would bring the camera back to the seller. But why do we ignore software bugs? They are easier to fix (camera needs not be sent to the manufacturer) but sometimes they are worse than hardware issues. I mean this thing is worse than the red dot will fall off or anything like this.

So please: Talk to your seller and report this issue. Bugs must be fixed. We all paid a lot of money for something, which does not work properly.

Regards

Krusty.

PS: But don‘t mix missing feature with bugs. Only the last are a real defects which must be fixed.

Edited by Krusty

Hi all,

Today I had a call with the customer service from Wetzlar. He was able to reproduce the Bug with his Q and forwarded this issue to the development team. Unfort he does not know when there will be the next release date.

From now, we have to hope and wait.

Regards

Krusty.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Today I had a call with the customer service from Wetzlar. He was able to reproduce the Bug with his Q and forwarded this issue to the development team.

Thanks for all the efforts! Am I understanding correctly that customer service saw this as a bug? Anyway, let's hope something will be done about it. Also good to hear that the SL does behave logical, so it is not a Leica specific implementation. I have sent an email to the store I bought the Q from but no response yet. Tomorrow, I will email Leica themselves. Thanks Again!

Hi Bart,

Yes, he said this is a Bug and this is not the behavior that he would expect. He also agreed, that the SL behavior is the way it should work.

One question: let’s say Auto iso is 6400 and max exposure is 1/15 and both limits are reached and the image is still to dark and the camera need to break one limitation to get the right exposure. What are others Leicas doing?

- Keep the image underexposed

- break the iso limit

- break the exposure time limit

?

Regard

Krusty

One question: let’s say Auto iso is 6400 and max exposure is 1/15 and both limits are reached and the image is still to dark and the camera need to break one limitation to get the right exposure. What are others Leicas doing?

- Keep the image underexposed

- break the iso limit

- break the exposure time limit

Good question. IMHO, a camera should simply not adjust any further and underexpose, indicated in the bargraph. Limits are limits and this would be in line with the "photographer is in control" paradigm. I cannot try it right now, but I believe that is what my Nikon D810 does , it also starts blinking the "AUTO-ISO" indicator if I am correct. But an extra three choice setting what to do in such a case could make it more flexible (albeit more complicated too): "Underexpose", "Overrule ISO limit", "Overrule shutter speed limit"... I know, I am asking too much.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My ISO limit is 6400. When I set the exposure time to 1/125 and it is too dark for those settings, it underexposes. It does exactly what I expect it to do - it would be really annoying if it overruled my set ISO or exposure time limits.

Edited by Macberg

My ISO limit is 6400. When I set the exposure time to 1/125 and it is too dark for those settings, it underexposes. It does exactly what I expect it to do - it would be really annoying if it overruled my set ISO or exposure time limits.

Of course, that is exactly my thought, no overruling (unless specifically enabled in a setting, but this is not really needed). But the biggest point is that if you set 1/15, the camera will not get there, it will start raising ISO at 1/60 in stead of first choosing 1/30 or 1/15. That is the erroneous behavior we are hoping to see solved. If I set 1/15, I want the shutter speed to lower to that limit and then raise ISO, not before. What is the use of the setting when it is more or less fixed at 1/60?

Hi,

It seems that it is not hopeless...

https://leicarumors.com/2018/01/30/a-new-leica-q-update-firmware-is-in-the-development-phase.aspx/

If you click on the dpreview link, you see a screenshot of a mail. The mail address is the same as my contact person (same pattern). I don’t have a dpreview account but maybe one of you. It would be interesting what he was asking Leica to get this answer...

That would be amazingly cool. There’s plenty of great suggestions from this forum. Even a few implemented would make a great camera even better and easier to look forward to a new Q if one were so inclined. Also easier for Leica to take a bit longer and make a new Q a bigger improvement.

• 4 months later...

today the Firmware 3.0 was released. But this bug has not been fixed

:-( :-( :-(

Indeed, sad. Only very few really useful changes in general, and the one I would like the most is not there: an auto ISO function that works, instead of being utterly useless. In fact, I do not bring the Q to run and gun gigs where light is low anymore because of this. The Q is not such a great performer on high ISO, so a good auto ISO could really be an asset, to be able to squeeze out the best when there is no time to fiddle all the dials.

Not saying that there aren't bugs, but ISO is so incredibly easy to set with the dedicated button and touch movement that it's not been much of an issue for me. I can pretty much work around anything with this camera, and, what doesn't absolutely ruin my picture makes me a better photographer (to paraphrase the appropriately Teutonic philosopher).

Not saying that there aren't bugs, but ISO is so incredibly easy to set with the dedicated button and touch movement that it's not been much of an issue for me. I can pretty much work around anything with this camera, and, what doesn't absolutely ruin my picture makes me a better photographer (to paraphrase the appropriately Teutonic philosopher).

Of course, ISO can be set. Easily is another thing, most of my other cameras offer at least the same options for that. All of them offer better auto ISO. "Run and gun" for me is point and shoot with a small camera, and the Q is great for that, especially with the superb auto focus. But in low light I simply cannot rely on setting too high an ISO value, the series might just have that one great shot that gets rejected for (rather annoying) noise and could have been shot three stops lower. That is when auto ISO is useful, and that is where the Q lacks and is not in the game for me. In bright light however, it rocks... so if a simple (because that what it is) software change could make it much better, why not?

I do get your frustration, since the fix should be relatively simple. My perspective is from shooting film 45 years ago, when everything had to be worked around and compromises were what produced the unique signature of the photographer. What I see is now a machine that is potentially perfectible; of course, it can't be, but that's the default wish. For me, Leica's 3rd firm wear release reinforces the idea that they think simplest is best. In that reduction to ever greater simplicity in the face of increasing potential complexity, there are illogical gaps. But I gladly accept the limitations of the Q knowing that I can actually do most of what I want to do--and not much more. That's why I also continue to shoot film: because it makes me pause and think, and I sense that I get more from that than I lose.

I'm not experiencing these problems personally.  The auto ISO settings are different for each of the four profiles.

In my "General" profile, I use no OIS above 1/125, and the minimum shutter of 1/60 and max ISO of 6400.  

But the "Street" profile allows OIS and goes down to 1/30 and up to ISO 25,000.

"Portrait" and "Landscape" likewise have entirely different settings.

Regardless, having manual aperture, manual shutter, an ISO button, and expanded comp on the thumb wheel -- I'm covered very quickly.

Is it perfect?  NO

Has it caused bad images?  No

Greetings.  I don't use the WLAN transfer often and that is most likely my issue.  Has the functinaltiy or process changed with the Firmware upgrade 3.0?  If the upgrade did not change anything, could someone point out a clear set of instructions on how to use the WLAN to transfer images to my iPhone?  I'm afraid I don't find the Leica manual very clear on this.  Thanks in advance.

WLAN Transfer was already working perfect with my iPhone and the Leica Q App in v2.0 and it still does in v3.0. Joining my home WLAN and hosting a camera WLAN works perfect...

When you join your home WLAN you have to search your WLAN SSID with the camera and then you have to enter the password. I use this when I am at home.

When you are not at home, then I host with the Leica a own network. Then you have to use the Q App to scan the QR Code on the camera (only once). After that the iPhone always connects to the hosted wlan of the camera.

Edited by Krusty

• 10 months later...

The problem that I have with the Auto ISO with the Q is very different from the M10 (M240 as well) and Dlux 7. 

With the aperture set manually, max ISO 6400, max shutter speed 1/250, what happens with the other cameras is once both limits are reached, the shutter speed would drop until the exposure is correct may it be as low as 1/8. 

However, now the Q just stops dead at the limited shutter speed and as a result the image is under exposed. 

I find this a problem as now I would have to manually adjust the shutter speed each time. 

Not quite sure why they would change the way the auto iso's behaviour from camera to camera. Have written to Leica and they said that they would inform the techs. 

Anyone have multiple Leica cameras who might have noticed this anomaly?