Leica SL or Hasselblad X1D

MVCG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The images from the new Fuji and Hasselblad are very attractive even on forum-sized images.  (The Pentax images were probably as good, but I have never seem them.)

The SL's images seem to want to try to push everything that it close to neutral towards neutral, which means that the pictures look less balanced.

Sorry, I have no idea what that means. Can you clarify?

The images from the new Fuji and Hasselblad are very attractive even on forum-sized images.  (The Pentax images were probably as good, but I have never seem them.)

They are. Would love Pentax to make some new lenses though.

Pentacx 645Z and a couple of 10 year old lenses.

27224837264_34bc570572_b.jpgUluru at Sunrise.jpg by Gordon Cahill, on Flickr

27565109371_da92ffd109_b.jpgIMGP0994.jpg by Gordon Cahill, on Flickr

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography
  • Like 3

I'm talking about the colours.

I know that, but I still don't know what "The SL's images seem to want to try to push everything that it close to neutral towards neutral, which means that the pictures look less balanced" actually means. 

I know that, but I still don't know what "The SL's images seem to want to try to push everything that it close to neutral towards neutral, which means that the pictures look less balanced" actually means.

Jrp, try the adobe std profile in LR when you import the files to LR, it seems the default is embedded color profile which shifted the wb about 800K. I now found the SL files very impressive and my workflow now better.

Has anyone on this forum actually purchased an X1D yet? i guess not as we would have seen something by now.

I had one on order but I've decided to wait.

The M10 seduced me and I'm not about to buy a whole new expensive system and a new Leica all at the same time.

I have one or two projects in mind for later in the year that would suit an X1D though, so it's still on my shopping list, but at the moment the M10 is keeping me very happy and busy.

It's not because of any shortcoming in the X1D though: I'm still very impressed and enthusiastic about it.

• Like 2

The M10 seduced me and I'm not about to buy a whole new expensive system and a new Leica all at the same time.

I have one or two projects in mind for later in the year that would suit an X1D though, so it's still on my shopping list, but at the moment the M10 is keeping me very happy and busy.

It's not because of any shortcoming in the X1D though: I'm still very impressed and enthusiastic about it.

Thanks Pete and John, being an M240 user, I also bought into the SL in December because of the delay in the X1D availability. I may have another look at the X1D in april but in the meantime would be particularly interested in feedback on this forum from someone who actually has one.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Peter why the M10 over the SL...............just curious as I now have the SL and its amazing for me with my M lenses just for the fact I can nail focus nearly every time, whereas with the M I couldn't???

Peter why the M10 over the SL...............just curious as I now have the SL and its amazing for me with my M lenses just for the fact I can nail focus nearly every time, whereas with the M I couldn't???

But you never checked if your system was properly calibrated, which would have been a simple task with LV.

Jeff

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

But you never checked if your system was properly calibrated, which would have been a simple task with LV.

Jeff

Cheers Peter

Please take a look at my printer thread over at barnacle and please add you 2 cents there??

Edited by Neil D

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Jeff

I tried all the Diopters and found the 0.5 to work best for me, I use about 0.25 on the SL as I like to wear my multi focus lenses while shooting both my S and SL.......None of this has anything to do with my question to Peter why SL over M10 ???

I tried all the Diopters and found the 0.5 to work best for me, I use about 0.25 on the SL as I like to wear my multi focus lenses while shooting both my S and SL.......None of this has anything to do with my question to Peter why SL over M10 ???

Diopters and/or magnifiers don't fix a mis-calibrated system.

I think Peter, like me, finds focusing M lenses (28-90mm) ideal on a small M camera.

I saw your printer post. Don't want to bore you with my repetitive print/workflow notions. The topic is easily searched here and elsewhere.

Jeff

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Diopters and/or magnifiers don't fix a mis-calibrated system.

Yes they do and they did mine...........................there was nothing wrong with the calibration of my M9, M240, or MM...........it was down to me not using a diopter, actually it was down to me not understanding what to look at in the rangfinder. Meaning when I first tried a diopter back when I had the M9 I tried all of them (-3 to +3) at the Leica Store  Avenue K in Malaysia. what I was trying to do then was make the patch sharp rather than looking at what I wanted to get in focus. It wasn't until just before I traded all my M gear for the S006 that my mate Raymond at the other Leica store in KL showed me the correct way to use the diopter and all became clear........... 

Yes they do and they did mine...........................there was nothing wrong with the calibration of my M9, M240, or MM.......

Repeat... they don't fix a system that's out of calibration....they help your eyesight. Your initial system (RF and lenses) may have been calibrated fine, but you sold it before checking.

Jeff

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Repeat... they don't fix a system that's out of calibration....they help your eyesight. Your initial system (RF and lenses) may have been calibrated fine, but you sold it before checking.

Jeff

That's my point............The calibration was fine after I got the diopter fixed, no need to fix something if its not broken

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

No, you first dumped your M in frustration. The rest came later. How quickly time flies.

Jeff

Sorry but your loosing your marbles..............I had a M from 2012 until 2015 when I traded in all that stuff for a S............the only reason I have M lenses now is that I have a SL and a M10 :)